Jazzmaster hums like a hummer.

For help with setups and other technical issues.
ThatBliss
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Jazzmaster hums like a hummer.

Post by ThatBliss » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:45 am

Thanks for all of the replies folks, I wasn't expecting much when I posted my frustrated wall of text but there is some good stuff here.

The guitar is properly grounded, that's not an issue it seems. From reading a bit more and watching a few videos it seems like the guitar needs more shielding. The reason I'm so pissed off with the Jazz is that in all my guitar playing/buying/modding I've never had a guitar that hums this much. It's massive. I've had JMs before that was never this bad. The touching metal thing is annoying because it causes a huge pop sound through my rig- couple that with delay and you hear lots of pop pop pop... Not nice.

I'll shield the cavities and pickguard today and see how much of a difference it makes- I know JMs are noisier, they usually have 20% more turns of copper compared to a strat pickup but this is taking the piss.

Thanks again for your help so far :-*

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:40 am

Not sure if your model has this under the pickguard, but I have it on my AVRI and it's a pretty decent piece of kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-Fen ... SwMmBViI~m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Easy way to upgrade the shielding on your Jazzmaster if you don't. Sounds like you just have a bit of shielding paint in the cavity, and not even covering the whole cavity, so that's probably a good place to upgrade. I've used shielding paint before as well as the conductive tape, it all helps and I haven't really noticed any difference one way or the other. I also have the brass tubs in my AVRI, which is not a particularly noisy instrument, but I don't know what kind of a hassle it might be to add it. It seems like it would require you to basically take all the guts out of the guitar (again) and reassemble it around the tubs.

Which might not be a bad idea.

I'm pretty fanatical about reducing noise, and so I also tracked down an anodized aluminum pickguard for my AVRI Jazzmaster. That was part of the original Jazzmaster strategy for reducing noise, although they quit doing it pretty early on in the Jazzmaster's history, but it could still be a viable alternative:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Anodized-A ... SwT4lWR5AB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I've come around to thinking that aluminum pickguards are the way to go. I have one on a Firebird that I have, and on one of my Jazzmasters and I can't speak highly enough about them.

Megan's idea about the braided wrapping seems solid, and if I ever re-wire a guitar I'll probably do that, but there is also shielded wiring that I've used in the past as well. You could go by and replace all that.

So, Andy is correct, there will always be noise with the Jazzmaster, but if you've done all that then you've done all you can do, and the situation is what it is.

That's all I know about the subject! Oh, you could always contact Ilitch noise and he'll route your guitar for you and install his dummy coil based system:

http://www.ilitchelectronics.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And that's a pretty cool solution. Expensive. Invasive, in the case of the Jazzmaster... I asked, he says he'd need to route it.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

ThatBliss
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ThatBliss » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:18 am

I've ordered some copper tape, going to line the cavities and the pickguard with it tomorrow and see how it goes.

I'd love one of those Al pickguard shields but they're really expensive in the UK and shipping from the US will take a while and I'm impatient to get this thing back together. No worries on re-dismantling the guitar, it's been in bits for a month now while I've been tinkering.

Hyphen Nation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Hyphen Nation » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 am

ThatBliss wrote:I've ordered some copper tape, going to line the cavities and the pickguard with it tomorrow and see how it goes.

I'd love one of those Al pickguard shields but they're really expensive in the UK and shipping from the US will take a while and I'm impatient to get this thing back together. No worries on re-dismantling the guitar, it's been in bits for a month now while I've been tinkering.
This should help...a lot. I shielded a parts caster with tape, and it's the quietest guitar I own. You essentially build a faraday cage by filling the cavities and back of the pickguard.

eigentone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eigentone » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:18 am

Larry Mal wrote:I also have the brass tubs in my AVRI, which is not a particularly noisy instrument, but I don't know what kind of a hassle it might be to add it. It seems like it would require you to basically take all the guts out of the guitar (again) and reassemble it around the tubs.
I tried US-sized tubs in my MIJ JM. Their fit was close but not quite. I trashed the tubs trying to fit them and wound up using shielding tape for the job. When the tubs fit, the difficult part is removing the pickguard.

Moral: If anyone takes the tub route, make sure the tubs they buy will fit their fiddle.

ThatBliss
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ThatBliss » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:12 am

Thanks to all the advice, I bought a few rolls of copper tape and covered my scratchplate and the cavities in shiny shiny copper. Not being blessed with fine motor skills or patience I was worried of fucking this up but it was surprisingly easy. The tape was thinner than expected (in thickness and width) but it went in alright, not the tidiest but I covered every inch of the cavity/scratchplate.

And blow me it worked. Totally hum free even when pushed with a Rat up full. TOTALLY HUM FREE. I'm stunned.

So if your guitar hums and stops humming when you touch something metal get yourself some quality shielding done. Winner.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:05 pm

Is the tip and
SLeeve wire at Jack are not inverted ?

ThatBliss
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ThatBliss » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:10 am

ludobag1 wrote:Is the tip and
SLeeve wire at Jack are not inverted ?
No. That would have caused a constant hum that wouldn't have went away.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Excellent news

Thanks for letting us know.

:)

thomastaylors
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thomastaylors » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:34 pm

Hey, thought I'd revive this thread (since I need help)

My Jazzmaster started humming a lot more than it has before.. after I resoldered the ground on the input jack. It has copper shielding all throughout.

I made a comparison between the stock VM Jag I have. Is it supposed to be this loud?

https://youtu.be/JDVRp7uH4tc0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thomastaylors
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thomastaylors » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:25 pm

^ anyone?

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:10 pm

That is horrible.

Does it only occur when you switch to one particular pickup setting ?

Where is the other end of the ground wire connected to ?

Dennism
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dennism » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:19 pm

I bought this and installed it. It works! there is still the standard hum, but much lower and more compatible to that of my '59 and '60 strats.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121867821869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;