QUESTIONS FOR JAZZMASTER MASTERS

For help with setups and other technical issues.
JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: QUESTIONS FOR JAZZMASTER MASTERS

Post by JazzBlaster » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:23 am

I been using antiquity 1 for years without incident
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

rabidhamster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rabidhamster » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:46 am

well, it can be common in any pickup that isnt wax potted, its because the coil of the pickup vibrates  with the sound  coming in, making it act a little like a microphone.  In some cases, you can even yell into the pickups and hear your voice through the amp.  The wax potting keeps the coil stationary and fixes things. 

Its pretty easy to pot pickups, and cheap too.  The only thing to worry about is making sure the heat you use isnt too hot, you dont want to melt the plastic or distort the bobbin of the pickup.  You use a double boiler technique, that is, water in a pan on the stove, with a coffee can or something similar sitting in that with paraffin wax in it.  You can get paraffin wax mostly anywhere, art supply shops to walmart.  I know there are published temperatures on the internet for doing this with no melting, but that requires a cooking thermometer you dont mind getting wax on, and I havent got one.  Theyre probably very cheap, but I like to make things harder on myself:)  I just start the stove out on low, and watch until the wax melts, and keep it at the lowest temperature possible while keeping the wax melted properly.  I would practice dipping sticks or something first, then move on to the pickup. 

Once the pickup is in, you basically just wait for it to stop bubbling, then pluck it out, wipe the excess wax off the outside, and let it dry. 

CLETUStheFETUS
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CLETUStheFETUS » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:00 pm

wow thanks for the help. Sounds dangerous but fun. Ill have to weigh my options!
And magenta feelings take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chic-a-cherry cola  -Savage Garden  (the most amazing lyric of all time)