MIJ Jazzmaster tremelo assembly same as AVRI?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
yoshiii
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

MIJ Jazzmaster tremelo assembly same as AVRI?

Post by yoshiii » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:16 am

Hello

I am wondering if I can use a AVRI Jazzmaster Tremelo tailpiece on a MIJ Jazzmaster?

slavemaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: MIJ Jazzmaster tremelo assembly same as AVRI?

Post by slavemaster » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:41 am

I believe you can, without any problems. A lot of people owing MIJ and CIJ Jazzmasters upgrade them with AVRI trems, which are supposedly (haven't tried it myself) better.
We got people playing stringed instruments! It's the end of days.

In-Sound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by In-Sound » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:12 am

I've heard the odd report around here of slight mismatches in specs, necessitating some slight routing when replacing a Japanese trem with it's American counterpart. I didn't run into this problem when I replaced mine.
As I see it, there are two advantages to the American-made assembly; spring tension and string spacing. Higher spring tension facilitates the use of the trem while using higher gauge strings. Better string spacing behind the bridge increases sympathetic resonance (behind-the-bridge ring) and can help deter saddle skipping by reducing lateral tension.

yoshiii
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by yoshiii » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:33 am

In-Sound wrote:I've heard the odd report around here of slight mismatches in specs, necessitating some slight routing when replacing a Japanese trem with it's American counterpart. I didn't run into this problem when I replaced mine.
As I see it, there are two advantages to the American-made assembly; spring tension and string spacing. Higher spring tension facilitates the use of the trem while using higher gauge strings. Better string spacing behind the bridge increases sympathetic resonance (behind-the-bridge ring) and can help deter saddle skipping by reducing lateral tension.
Can I use the stock MIJ bridge with the American trem?

slavemaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by slavemaster » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:21 am

yoshiii wrote:
In-Sound wrote:I've heard the odd report around here of slight mismatches in specs, necessitating some slight routing when replacing a Japanese trem with it's American counterpart. I didn't run into this problem when I replaced mine.
Can I use the stock MIJ bridge with the American trem?
Yes.
We got people playing stringed instruments! It's the end of days.