Vintage kluson tuner rebuild

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Echo Ranch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Vintage kluson tuner rebuild

Post by Echo Ranch » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:45 am

HI all,

My 62 vintage Jazzmaster has a broken tuner. the split shaft only has one side left! it's the high E string tuner as well. since it's the last one, it's very hard to find a vintage replacement as it has the wing. anyways, i was able to get a vintage tuner from Black Tiger however, it is just a middle style with no wings.

my idea is to open them up, steal the shaft and put it in the one i have. all fixed.

i know these are all enclosed. has anyone had any experience opening these up and repairing the tuners? any info or pics of said work would be great. i'm kinda a visuals guy.

thanks restorers! sorry of there is already a thread. i couldn't find it
reverb

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: Vintage kluson tuner rebuild

Post by fullerplast » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:30 am

Ah, the old kluson question.

It's possible, but very difficult. The two little tabs that hold the cover on break off very easily. I wish I could share a secret or tip with you, but I don't have any. I've done several, and found no way to avoid it except luck. I've managed to get a few back together intact, but the majority of the ones I did broke. It's worth a try if you have a few of them you could salvage covers off of, should a tab break.

Other than the tab issue, its easy to replace the guts.
Q. Are we not men?

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:50 am

the high E tuning peg was replaced on my one '66 JM. there's an old repro middle in it's place! :ph34r:

I feel your pain with tuner issues, though :( . My other '66 JM has very stiff tuners (sometimes OMG-hard to turn, lol), and i'm afraid to mess with them cuz i've heard how easy they can break or whatever...

maybe you'll get lucky and find a vintage on ebay someday soon. good luck! :)

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:51 am

i've done it before chris... since i have yr guitar, i'll get started on it.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:20 pm

Well, I got it off without breaking the tabs... but I don't think I can get the shaft out. The bottom of the shaft is hammered flat to prevent the gear from coming off. These pieces are attached to the 'wing' plate. I think the reissues have a machine screw to hold them together.

I don't think it'll work :(

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:24 pm

I've found the tabs usually break when putting them back down. They can stand the first bend when opening it up.

I've swapped the entire shaft and gear. I've got a bin full of kluson pieces if you end up needing some.
Q. Are we not men?

Echo Ranch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Echo Ranch » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:04 pm

cool thanks for all the info guys. and mike for giving it a shot. i've got one middle vintage tuner heading my way. i'll just put that on and be done with it like the one pictured above. keep this one for authenticity/collection sake. the one i have still kinda works with only half the spit post really. i guess i don;t even need to change it but it must be getting fragile.

anyways, might be best off just getting a set of reissues and saving these in a nice spot so they don't break any further :(
reverb

Echo Ranch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Echo Ranch » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:25 pm

tabs broke when we tried to open up the tuner just as predicted >:( so fair warning to any other dummy like me. can't be fixed.

thanks black tiger for hooking me up with the spare middle tuner. i needed it.

all rocking.
reverb