Re: okay might as well post it here ( after i posted it in like 4 other boards.)

For help with setups and other technical issues.
mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: okay might as well post it here ( after i posted it in like 4 other boards.)

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:17 am

yeah taping the arm removes the clicking and it is quite an improvement. but if you ever try swapping the parts for AV you´ll know what i mean. just a much more solid feel. i mean it´s not a crucial upgrade, but if you ever feel like you´ve got the money to spare, it´s definitely worth it.

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:27 pm

Puke+Cry wrote: okay. pm'd.

for the thing luau circled, do i need a special sort of grease or can i just use valesine
Well nothing much to add that hasn't been said yet. Looking at the video the creaking sound in the end could well be coming from the edge although I had the same problem once with a Bigsby where the spring was making the noises. Lubricating the points where the spring touches the plate and the collet ("item #56") could maybe help too.

The CIJ trem has a weaker spring so upgrading to an AVRI spring, collet and trem handle would help. I got a CIJ JM lately and the previous owner had painted the short end of the arm with hard-wearing boat paint which made the fit perfect. This has bettered the response and control of the trem considerably. Also I like a slightly different trem setup which involves tightening the spring so the arm comes right up. This gives you downward trem movement only, maybe some very slight up movement. This works on both my CIJ JM and my old Jag. Setup like that the trem lock is disabled and breaking a string would ruin the tuning but I prefer the higher trem arm and the stiffer feel. But hey, that's just me  :)

Good luck!

Puke+Cry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Puke+Cry » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:51 am

cool thanks.

well i did everything and put it back but now i get this clicking sound. its not the trem arm, i put tape on it and everything, but ill post a video of it as well...

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:43 pm

Ok, my two cents.

There is nothing wrong with te overall construction of the CIJ/MIJ trem, BUT...the trem nut, where the trem are goes is it TOO wide, which is partly responsible for the anoying clicking.
instrad of buying a whole AVRI trem unit (which is a good idea actually) you can also buy a AVRI trem arm and trem nut and swap them with the MIJ/CIJ counterparts. An easy fix and very notable in the overall sound.

second. the anchor plate of MANY MIJ/CIJ trem units sit too low because the angled part is sitting under the trem pate and between the string anchor plate has a wrong angle or it's teeth are too long.you will notice this when both the ends of your E stings make contact with the heads of the srews of this plate.
it also makes the string anchor plate shift forward when completly strung up and tuned. making the trem less workable.
File down the teeth of this plate ore thy ro bend in the right angle (not so simple, but doable) 

Dave Wronkski of slactone replaces the screws of the string anchor plate with countersunk screws to overcome this problem, much easier then filing down this part. he told me this once and showed me his Jaguar. The guy just know's Jaguars and Jazzmasters.... ;)

I have one guitar with a stock MIJ trem with corrected string anchor plate and AVRI trem arm and nut and it works just as good as my AVRI trem nit or my old Pat Pend unit. at a fraction of the pice of a new complete AVRI unit.
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"