VM Jaguar fret buzz

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Kanelbun
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

VM Jaguar fret buzz

Post by Kanelbun » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:01 am

I recently bought a VM Jag, and I am absolutely in love with it. It plays and sounds great and I'm very pleased. However, one thing that bothers me is that there is an awful lot of fret buzz
I know the Jags and Mustangs and such has less sustain than for example a Tele, but this is fret buzz.
I've changed the standard .09's to .11's and adjusted the bridge saddles, but the buzzing remains. The neck curve is good, so it's not that. My guess is that the neck angle is off. Looks like it too. The fix for this, as I know, is shimming the neck but I'm not sure if I'm gonna attempt it as I don't have a lot of experience with setting up guitars.
Can I remove the fret buzz while keeping the action pretty low? The store I bought it from gave me a three month free repair service. Should I bring it in and get them to have a look at it?
Also, I am aware of the buzz that can come from the vintage style bridge, but I've had no issues with the bridge, yet. It's definetely the frets.
More information/pictures can be given if needed
Thanks

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: VM Jaguar fret buzz

Post by Horsefeather » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:14 am

I had a fake strat with a cheap Chinese neck on it and it buzzed like crazy. I wrestled with different setups to defeat the buzz but in the end, if you want low action that doesn't buzz, you have to have level frets.

My suggestion is that you learn to do it yourself. It's pretty simple. I did it to that cheap neck of mine and even being my first (and only, for now) time, it turned out great and now the guitar is buzz fee with a really low action. It's a very satisfying process. I want to do all my guitars now.

I created my own leveling bar from a piece of scrap granite counter top that I got for free from a shop, to which I affixed some sticky backed sandpaper off a roll. The only real investment you need to make is in a crowning file but they aren't that expensive. And I simply polished the frets back up with 0000 steel wool. It took less than an hour.

Kanelbun
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kanelbun » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:46 am

Horsefeather wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:14 am
I had a fake strat with a cheap Chinese neck on it and it buzzed like crazy. I wrestled with different setups to defeat the buzz but in the end, if you want low action that doesn't buzz, you have to have level frets.

My suggestion is that you learn to do it yourself. It's pretty simple. I did it to that cheap neck of mine and even being my first (and only, for now) time, it turned out great and now the guitar is buzz fee with a really low action. It's a very satisfying process. I want to do all my guitars now.

I created my own leveling bar from a piece of scrap granite counter top that I got for free from a shop, to which I affixed some sticky backed sandpaper off a roll. The only real investment you need to make is in a crowning file but they aren't that expensive. And I simply polished the frets back up with 0000 steel wool. It took less than an hour.
Thank you so much for the quick reply!
Never really crossed my mind to think about the frets. I’ll look into leveling them if that really is the issue. Have you got any way to check if the frets are the problem? I wouldn’t want to potentionally ruin my frets if that’s not the issue, so I’d like to be certain first

jeff m.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jeff m. » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:27 pm

Kanelbun,
I'd most definitely take advantage of the 3 month warranty..it's just my opinion, but fret-leveling is NOT the first thing I'd attempt if you have little prior experience in set-ups.

Horsefeather DID point out that he got results with a 'cheap Chinese neck', but you have a brand new instrument with the opportunity to have it looked at by a shop/ repair guy..I'd certainly be going down that route, mate !

P.S;
it could be something as simple as the truss-rod needing a little tweak..I briefly had a VM Jag, & it took about 10 mins of carefully adjusting the truss 'til I found the 'sweet spot'..that is definitely a DIY job & can make a real difference, & most importantly, anything you do is reversible..as opposed to any fretwork you may attempt.

Good luck, let us know how you go.
Best,
Jeff.

Kanelbun
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kanelbun » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:19 pm

jeff m. wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:27 pm
Kanelbun,
I'd most definitely take advantage of the 3 month warranty..it's just my opinion, but fret-leveling is NOT the first thing I'd attempt if you have little prior experience in set-ups.

Horsefeather DID point out that he got results with a 'cheap Chinese neck', but you have a brand new instrument with the opportunity to have it looked at by a shop/ repair guy..I'd certainly be going down that route, mate !

P.S;
it could be something as simple as the truss-rod needing a little tweak..I briefly had a VM Jag, & it took about 10 mins of carefully adjusting the truss 'til I found the 'sweet spot'..that is definitely a DIY job & can make a real difference, & most importantly, anything you do is reversible..as opposed to any fretwork you may attempt.

Good luck, let us know how you go.
Best,
Jeff.
Thank you so much, Jeff!
I think that's the road I'm gonna go down for the time being, so we'll see how it goes

tommycarlos
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tommycarlos » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Kanelbun wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:19 pm
jeff m. wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:27 pm
it took about 10 mins of carefully adjusting the truss 'til I found the 'sweet spot'..
Thank you so much, Jeff!
I think that's the road I'm gonna go down for the time being, so we'll see how it goes
Yeah... My VM Jaguar was similar... lots of truss rod tweaking, but the end result was great.

filthypit
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by filthypit » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:05 am

Yeah, if you like it that much take it to your shop's tech.
If ya really want low action, the neck will need to be a bit straighter than usual (not as much underbow). Most likely you have a few proud frets - common on new instruments. Sometimes leveling works, sometimes they need to be (re)glued, etc. Be sure to tell your tech exactly where the buzz occurs. Sometimes it can be the bridge as well. Staytrem makes a 7.25 bridge that's a solid upgrade.
And expect to fiddle w/ it again when the season changes. Its the price you pay for comfort - but well worth it IMO.
hey maybe we can get together for coffee sometime?
...after they lift the restraining order, I mean

Kanelbun
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kanelbun » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:27 pm

filthypit wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:05 am
Yeah, if you like it that much take it to your shop's tech.
If ya really want low action, the neck will need to be a bit straighter than usual (not as much underbow). Most likely you have a few proud frets - common on new instruments. Sometimes leveling works, sometimes they need to be (re)glued, etc. Be sure to tell your tech exactly where the buzz occurs. Sometimes it can be the bridge as well. Staytrem makes a 7.25 bridge that's a solid upgrade.
And expect to fiddle w/ it again when the season changes. Its the price you pay for comfort - but well worth it IMO.
Thanks for the input and sorry for the late reply! Still haven’t gotten around to bringing it to the tech as I’ve been temporarily happy after tweaking with it a bit.

The VM Jag has 9.5 fretboard radius and not the vintage 7.25, but if i wish to go the Staytrem route, they make a 9.5 one aswell.