Fender Jazzmaster CIJ pick ups upgrade, help!

For help with setups and other technical issues.
redeksnake
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender Jazzmaster CIJ pick ups upgrade, help!

Post by redeksnake » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:25 am

Hi to everyone!

I have a '99 CIJ Jazzmaster, I have this guitar from 7 years now.
The pick ups re the original ones but I would like to improve the sound with new pick ups (and potentiometers too),

Anyone can suggest me which pick ups I should put?

I would like to have the original classic jazzmaster's sound and I was intentioned to buy fender american pick ups .

what do you think about these? https://www.thomann.de/it/fender_pure_v ... pu_set.htm

Thanks! :)

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Jazzmaster CIJ pick ups upgrade, help!

Post by fortytwo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:59 am

If you're in Europe, Italy I'm guessing, I'd check these out.

https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product-c ... ps/jaguar/

Either that, or Seymour Duncan Antiquity's.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:58 pm

A friend with a CIJ JM recently replaced his with "Q Pickups", that's a pickup builder in Croatia. A set of handwound JM pickups should only cost about 90 euros, so that's about half of what most handwound pickups would cost. It was a big improvement from the normal CIJ pups, even if it didn't sound quite as good as my Lollars.. but then I suspect that's because he didn't replace the pots (yet).

http://www.qpickups.com/

redeksnake
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by redeksnake » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:16 am

Hey! First of all thanks for your answers!

Yes, I'm in Italy so I ll have to find a good website for have a deal!

I already saw the Antiquity and some handmade pickups, nothing wrong with them (the antiquity sounds very good) but my idea was to leave all made by fender, so I would like to buy fender vintage pick ups.

My CIJ Jazzmaster is based on the 1962 model, what's the differences (about pickups) with the 1965 model? https://www.thomann.de/it/fender_pure_v ... pu_set.htm

Does anyone know which pick ups are installed on the AVRI and other 1962 reissues?

Thanks guys! 8)

gusgorman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gusgorman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:59 am

Is the CIJ really a '62 re-issue?

I thought the Japanese JMs were just generic 60s JMs and people confused the release numbers for 62 or 66 reissues when they really just referred to the first 2 numbers of the original price in YEN?

I might be wrong - just repeating what I have read.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:33 am

Yeah the CIJ's are just kind of a mishmash of 60's-inspired stuff, they're not reissues of any particular year. They call them JM66, but they're clearly not modeled on a 66 because of the necks, fretboard markings and headstocks. The JM66B's are closer to a real 66 but still have the small headstock and the wrong decal.

So don't worry about using pickups that are correct for the year. AV65 pickups are the best Jazzmaster pickups I've personally heard, and if I was going to have just one modern Jazzmaster, it'd have those pickups. Especially if you want to keep everything made by Fender.

redeksnake
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by redeksnake » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:50 am

hey guys, thanks for the answers 8) !

Yeah I could be wrong, I supposed that mine CIJ was based on the 62' cause if I remember good the post '65 models are different for the fretboard's binding and witch hat knobs ecc.

About the 65 pick ups, perfect thanks for your info!
Do you know if they are the only "vintage" pick ups that fender is selling aftermarket now?
Cause I havent seen more of them available online (I mean new in the package).

thanks, cheers! :)

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:18 pm

redeksnake wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:50 am
hey guys, thanks for the answers 8) !

Yeah I could be wrong, I supposed that mine CIJ was based on the 62' cause if I remember good the post '65 models are different for the fretboard's binding and witch hat knobs ecc.
It is closer to a 62 reissue than a 66, but there are some differences between the real 62's and the CIJ's as well. And both the blocks and binding and dots and no binding models are part of the same series (JM66), so I think they just took whatever they liked and could produce economically from the 60's in general.
About the 65 pick ups, perfect thanks for your info!
Do you know if they are the only "vintage" pick ups that fender is selling aftermarket now?
The box looks like this: https://shop.fender.com/en-US/accessori ... 39000.html

They also sell "V-mod" pickups but the box would definitely look different. I'm not sure what it actually looks like, though.

One difference between a 62 JM and a CIJ is the lack of beveling on the pickup pole pieces. The 65's don't have it either :)

If you wanted to make your CIJ look more like a 62, you could look for a used pair of AVRI pickups. But they're not worth it anymore IMO; I have both, and the Pure Vintage 65's definitely sound better.

redeksnake
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by redeksnake » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:23 am

It is closer to a 62 reissue than a 66, but there are some differences between the real 62's and the CIJ's as well. And both the blocks and binding and dots and no binding models are part of the same series (JM66), so I think they just took whatever they liked and could produce economically from the 60's in general.
oh cool, thanks for the info! :)

About the pick ups...
I see the "v mod" pick ups, arent they the ones installed on the new american pro Jazzmasters?
Cause in that case I heard them already (if I remember good they use them also on the am pro jaguar), they re cool but they re too... well... "modern" in my opinion :shifty: , I was looking for a cool Jaguar so I saw the Am pro and the johnny marr. I bought the johnny marr for the pick ups.

However if you tried the '65 pure vintage and you think they re better I will go for them.
I would like to made my CIJ look more like a '62 but... I want a jazzmaster sound :) so if the '65 pure vintage sounds cool I will go for them! Anyway from my CIJ pickups will be a big upgrade.

Thanks! ;D

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:05 am

I haven't actually heard the V-mod pickups, but I just know I love the sound of my AV65 :) I have no hesitation recommending the Pure Vintage 65 pickups.

Ohioisonfire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ohioisonfire » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:56 pm

spacecadet wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:05 am
I haven't actually heard the V-mod pickups, but I just know I love the sound of my AV65 :) I have no hesitation recommending the Pure Vintage 65 pickups.
Considering these as an option for my cij currently. Good to see favorable reviews.

BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlueSparkle » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:25 pm

McNelly 46/58's or go for Kinman HX's if you want true noiseless.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

RandyRandom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RandyRandom » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:14 am

i have those fenders in my jazzmaster and i love them. very dynamic and twangy sound. if you like another alternative i would recommend "jess loureiros" handmade pickups from spain. they are great sounding and the prices are really fair!
:D Gotta love them Offsets :D

Any other austrians around here?

redeksnake
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by redeksnake » Sun May 13, 2018 9:26 am

Hi! Thanks to all for replies!
Ok, my choice for the pick ups it's did, what about the potentiometers?
People that already changed pick ups on their Japanese Jazzmaster changed potentiometers too? or the original are ok? Thanks!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun May 13, 2018 9:38 am

Seems like you might have made your choice, but I'll second the idea of reaching out to Q pickups, next time I have anyone make me a set it will be him. He is wonderful to work with, the pickups are great and the prices reasonable.

Plus, he's super fast, he made a special order for me and had it to me in the States from Croatia in a business week. Very much recommend.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.