Improving action of MIJ Tremolo system

For help with setups and other technical issues.
repoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Improving action of MIJ Tremolo system

Post by repoman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:25 am

I had a TVL JM for a while and stupidly sold it, it had the AVRI tremolo on it and that was dreamy. Super light touch and no slop.

I built a baritone telemaster afterwards and I used a MIJ Tremolo for it. The feel of the MIJ is no where near as good as the AVRI, its really quite awful to be honest.

The tremolo arm has quite a bit of slop in the collet, I'm assuming I should buy the AVRI trem collet and arm for this.

The most irritating part is how stiff the action is and how much force needs to be used to manipulate the arm, I'm thinking this comes down to the spring tension. With the tension screw bottomed out its still very stiff.

I see another part of the problem can be the pivot plate, I took that out and made sure it was dead flat with a long leveling file and rounded/polished it the way Dave Wronski has his.

Does anyone know of a source that sells AVRI springs?

From how I'm imagining it interacting, I need a spring that is a bit longer that compresses with less force required.

I see guitarpartsresource has a spring for sale but it doesn't say if its AVRI or not.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Improving action of MIJ Tremolo system

Post by JVG » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:36 pm

Not sure about that one either, but Darren Rileys looks to have the American Spring:

http://darrenriley.com/store/jaguarjazz ... 019307000/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could also try Angela Music or Parts is Parts.

repoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by repoman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:41 pm

Nice

Thank you

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:45 pm

repoman wrote:The tremolo arm has quite a bit of slop in the collet, I'm assuming I should buy the AVRI trem collet and arm for this.
No. The threads for the collet are not the same size in the Japan assembly (10mm) as the AVRI (3/8") - the collets are not interchangeable.

I would expect this to be the case for other parts of the assembly, most certainly anything requiring a threaded fastener, given the differences in metric vs imperial thread size and pitch.

I would (and did) throw it out and buy a whole AVRI vibrato assembly + arm, after busting the collet completely out of the plate several times mid-song (even with loc-tite applied - the threads were THAT poorly cut.)
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:29 pm

Just get a full AVRI; I tried the spring swap, it doesn't change things up much. AVRI has much better feel, response, stability, string spacing, nicer looking chrome, better arm attachment... Plus I've had two MIJs that were DoA and would not stay in tune, no matter how they were adjusted.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:07 am

AVRI + staytrem arm.

monsterdonkey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by monsterdonkey » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:01 am

I put the Mastery trem on my MIJ and I enjoy it very much. Having never tried an AVRI I can't comment, but it's nicer to use than MIJ, VM and CP. It was worth the $ for me because I enjoy it every single time I use it. My MIJ sits on the bench and I transferred the Staytrem collet I first tried to my VM.

tonehungry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tonehungry » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:55 pm

might try the staytrem and AVRI combo on my MIJ jazz master....thanks for the info guys :)

repoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by repoman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:58 am

Danley wrote:Just get a full AVRI; I tried the spring swap, it doesn't change things up much. AVRI has much better feel, response, stability, string spacing, nicer looking chrome, better arm attachment... Plus I've had two MIJs that were DoA and would not stay in tune, no matter how they were adjusted.
I'm curious how though, it must come down to merely the rate of the spring (assuming the pivot plate is well machined), theres hardly anything going on mechanically with the offset tremolo design.
I don't have any tuning issues with it, just the 'feel' ...tuning issues are 99% of the time a poorly cut/dressed nut.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:31 am

Nope, the MIJ trem was rickety; it was visible and made audible clicks, one if you even slightly moved it, the other at the top of the range. I'm talking two brand new MIJ trems. The problem is the pivots are not well filed. Filing the pivot helped but was tedious. AVRI fixed. I've had Squier and Allparts trems that were similarly shoddy.

There are also geometry differences between the trems, mostly centered, again, on the pivot.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!