Fret Size Effects

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fret Size Effects

Post by Horsefeather » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:47 pm

I'm planning a baritone conversion of a Bronco bass using a strat type neck with two extra frets at the headstock end and wondering which way I should go with the fret size. I don't have a lot of experience with various sizes and I'm just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how this affects playing. I know taller ones can allow note bending similar to how a scalloped board does but that's not going to be on the menu for a baritone. I want to use stainless steel so I don't need to worry about how many recrowns they have in them, either.

I've noticed my Squier P-bass has very short and narrow frets and it plays nicely with pretty low action. So what's the reason for medium sized frets?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fret Size Effects

Post by Embenny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Horsefeather wrote:I'm planning a baritone conversion of a Bronco bass using a strat type neck with two extra frets at the headstock end and wondering which way I should go with the fret size. I don't have a lot of experience with various sizes and I'm just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how this affects playing. I know taller ones can allow note bending similar to how a scalloped board does but that's not going to be on the menu for a baritone. I want to use stainless steel so I don't need to worry about how many recrowns they have in them, either.

I've noticed my Squier P-bass has very short and narrow frets and it plays nicely with pretty low action. So what's the reason for medium sized frets?
The biggest factor to me is the feel. I like small, vintage-style frets because you really feel the fingerboard. The bigger the frets, the more the string stays suspended in the air while fretting.

The benefits of bigger frets are: a more "suspended" feel (if you like that), easier bends (because you're not dragging the string across the fretboard) and a longer lifespan (can dress repeatedly since you have more material to start with).

If they're stainless, I doubt you'll be having issues with longevity. If it's a baritone, you likely aren't planning on doing that many big bends (or maybe you just use a baritone differently than me if you do!). So, if you like the feel of smaller frets, it sounds like they'd be a good match for you and for this guitar.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

j mascis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fret Size Effects

Post by j mascis » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:11 pm

IME, a lot of it depends on your touch. If you have a light touch, you will barely notice different sized frets. If you have a heavy touch, you're better off with vintage frets because you won't bend them sharp. If you do a lot of slides, vintage frets are easier, but again it depends on your touch. Taller frets are almost always easier to bend on.