Squier unveils The Cribs signature

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier unveils The Cribs signature

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:19 am

well NOT exclusive for the UK, since some of us got them here in Germany, too... ;)
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:13 am

I'm THIS close to pulling the trigger on one of these.

Can anyone who has one tell me if it's worth it? Especially how it would compare in quality to a CIJ offset, like how thick is the neck? If it's anything like the neck on my cij jag I'm excited but if it's closer to the baseball bat neck on the squier jmjm i had i'm a little less excited. Never played any of the VM series so I'm not sure how it'd compare to those. Doubt it's gonna feel like the 67 'stang i played in a shop the other day but i just want to know what i'm dealing with - especially since I can't really play it before I buy it.

Kiso
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Kiso » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:15 pm

Does anyone (Ryan?) know what pot values the guitars have?

Nberon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Nberon » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:57 pm

Can't go wrong with this guitar...top quality!!hardwares,neck and built quality are fantastic...havent got an amp to test with maybe just need to mods the electronics..the neck is like a baseball bat...frets are not jumbo..love it

borntohang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by borntohang » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:50 am

Had a play with the Jarman Bass last weekend - only a quick dabble in store so can't go into too much detail but here's a few notes.

- Good fit and finish on par with my Squier CV's and setup seemed about on par for stock. Hardware all solid, not that there's much of it.
- Sounds like a P bass! Bit deeper than my Jaguar SS and not as bright to my ears.
- Feels more on the P end of the spectrum with a wider neck than a Jazz. I've been playing short scale exclusively this last year so YMMV but didn't feel much different from a 34" scale - definitely a nice compromise. Comfortable to play with the contours and the body doesn't feel as long as it looks.

A cool and quirky design, I can see these taking off a bit. Wish it was PJ personally, but there's always something isn't there?

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:45 am

@Jarman

Hi, it seems the RJ sig model is discontinued or sold out. Would it be too much to ask if you could enquire as to future production, and perhaps even other colors? 8)

That would be much appreciated ;D

Jarman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jarman » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:14 pm

smalahove wrote:@Jarman

Hi, it seems the RJ sig model is discontinued or sold out. Would it be too much to ask if you could enquire as to future production, and perhaps even other colors?

That would be much appreciated
Hey

Today we actually received our first sales report for the guitars, covering the end of August and the full month of September. Yeah, it looks like the Mus-Uar is sold out according to Fender's inventory. I'm sure there will still be some in shops here and there, but it looks like Fender are out of stock at this time. The bass has done around half that amount, which I was pleasantly surprised with for the first month.

We will be in touch with Fender in the next few days about this, as we are all happy with the news, so will be sure to discuss. Any reissue would certainly be in an alternate finish.

One thing that I remembered the other day though, was that when we played Reading Festival last year we were chatting with Neil at Fender as he was updating us on the R&D progress of the guitars. At that time he said that they would actually be the last Squier signature models to be made (for the time being at least), as Squier was gonna concentrate on the classic Fender models in the future (probably after the success of adding the Jag/JM/Mustangs to the line of traditional Fender shapes)...so who knows? Maybe they will wanna keep the momentum going after a good couple of months, or maybe they will be moving on.

Either way, we are psyched - and glad that people are enjoying them - including some of you guys.

indiandysummer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by indiandysummer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:19 pm

Try to get some in the US, if you can!! ;D ;D ;D

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:30 am

Jarman wrote:

Hi, it seems the RJ sig model is discontinued or sold out. Would it be too much to ask if you could enquire as to future production, and perhaps even other colors?

Hey

Today we actually received our first sales report for the guitars, covering the end of August and the full month of September. Yeah, it looks like the Mus-Uar is sold out according to Fender's inventory. I'm sure there will still be some in shops here and there, but it looks like Fender are out of stock at this time. The bass has done around half that amount, which I was pleasantly surprised with for the first month.

We will be in touch with Fender in the next few days about this, as we are all happy with the news, so will be sure to discuss. Any reissue would certainly be in an alternate finish.

One thing that I remembered the other day though, was that when we played Reading Festival last year we were chatting with Neil at Fender as he was updating us on the R&D progress of the guitars. At that time he said that they would actually be the last Squier signature models to be made (for the time being at least), as Squier was gonna concentrate on the classic Fender models in the future (probably after the success of adding the Jag/JM/Mustangs to the line of traditional Fender shapes)...so who knows? Maybe they will wanna keep the momentum going after a good couple of months, or maybe they will be moving on.

Either way, we are psyched - and glad that people are enjoying them - including some of you guys.
I love my musuar just as much as my jagumarr and CS Jazzy. I'm seriously considering buying one of the few still left, to experiment with different setups, mostly pickups, but perhaps switches and additional stuff too. However, I'm not sold on the idea of having two identical guitars with the same color ... but fiesta red or whatever color (except sunburst), it'd be on its way to me already :-)

Please tell your brother I love his design, and I am amazed how great an instrument it is, regardless of what is says on the headstock or how much it costs. A perfect guitar for kids starting out - and oldish geezers who blabber about age being just a number :D Well done.

fuzzy_man_peach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzy_man_peach » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:26 am

Jarman wrote:

Hey

@Jarman

i was reading the artical of yours in the total guitar mag about your squier guitars, i noticed the bit where you were bugging the fender guys to bring back the swinger and maverick, i was pretty shocked that most guys at fender now barely know about these models and kinda explains why we only ever seem to see strats and teles, is there ever gonna be a chance of the electric xii or the maverick/swingers and bass v returning? even in squier form as a sort of collectors classic series or something like that would be amazing! i know you guys could twist fenders arm along with us lot here! also before squier stop making them could they do the fiesta red and sonic blue models? although i'm very tempted by the ocean turquoise bass!

Jarman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jarman » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:35 am

Hi

Thanks for the kind words.

The obscure guitar that I have heard most talk of having a possible re-issue was the XII. Not sure what became of that, but I know there was definitely interest in that project, and Fender were certainly aware of the demand for one. This was around early 2015 I think. Neil even once teased me to 'keep my ear to the ground', which made me think it was going ahead...but thus far, no news. Have been so wrapped up in the signature models that I haven't brought it up for ages. The Swinger I just brought up in conversation after returning from a tour of Japan. I had noticed that many of the big guitar shops had Swinger copies in tons of different finishes, and they were pretty expensive too. I just tipped the guys off and thought it would be a good time to re-issue - even if it was just for the Asian market as the demand was obviously there. Again there seemed to be interest, but don't know what became of that. The Maverick is way more unlikely! I think there are pockets of people who love that guitar, but it would be a real pain to re-issue as the hardware and pickups would all need to be machined again - and it would probably be an expensive guitar to take a risk on, given the lack of popularity the first time out.

I would love to get the signatures out in alternate finishes. Will be talking to Fender before the week is out and will keep you posted.

fuzzy_man_peach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzy_man_peach » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:48 am

Jarman wrote:Hi

Thanks for the kind words.

The obscure guitar that I have heard most talk of having a possible re-issue was the XII. Not sure what became of that, but I know there was definitely interest in that project, and Fender were certainly aware of the demand for one. This was around early 2015 I think. Neil even once teased me to 'keep my ear to the ground', which made me think it was going ahead...but thus far, no news. Have been so wrapped up in the signature models that I haven't brought it up for ages. The Swinger I just brought up in conversation after returning from a tour of Japan. I had noticed that many of the big guitar shops had Swinger copies in tons of different finishes, and they were pretty expensive too. I just tipped the guys off and thought it would be a good time to re-issue - even if it was just for the Asian market as the demand was obviously there. Again there seemed to be interest, but don't know what became of that. The Maverick is way more unlikely! I think there are pockets of people who love that guitar, but it would be a real pain to re-issue as the hardware and pickups would all need to be machined again - and it would probably be an expensive guitar to take a risk on, given the lack of popularity the first time out.

I would love to get the signatures out in alternate finishes. Will be talking to Fender before the week is out and will keep you posted.

yeah i remember you saying earlier in this thread about keeping your ear to the ground regarding the xii, i'm surprised fender haven't done anything yet as there are a fair few budget 12 strings about and the revelation brand have a very jazzmaster style 12 string so there's obvious demand for offset twelves out there! i was hoping something would pop up in the pawnshop series but they seem to have ditched them too, the pawnshop stuff was some of the best and most creative fenders in ages including your sigs as well, even the rascal bass was fantastic, i brought one recently and loved it! i want to get both of your sigs too but i really love ryan red mus-uar as opposed to the burgundy mist one, maybe you could do your own little cribs pawnshop line! it'd be something no other artists have done and at least with your association maybe fender would be more willing to take a risk as sales for your guitars have been great and there's an obvious hunger out there for more cool/classic offsets and oddities!

by the way i think the signatures are awesome, and loved the article, you guys need to do a uk tour soon :D

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:30 pm

sold out... :( and none ever really made it to the states for retail..

njpozner
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by njpozner » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:42 am

I know that Fender is going to do what Fender is going to do, but this guitar seems like it would be exactly what I am looking for. If they want to make it available in the US, I will surely buy one. Particularly if it was available in Sherwood Green or Ocean Turquoise!

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:55 am

geez Jarman, that's scary news your're telling us about Squier now only wanting to make copies of the classics... i mean, the success of your sigs should tip them off that they're doing something right. that, plus thinking back to the Vista series that have become real "collectables" nowadays.
of course, they ARE well-designed instruments, not just a "little bit of this and that" stuff. they really would have deserved the Vista logo on the headstock tip. good time to bring back the Venus and Venus XII, see how those would have sold, and from there make the swing towards the Electric XII.

dang, i had it all figured out already... :D :P

keep on rocking, thanks for that amazing guitar. still loving it and playing it even more than my vintage Fenders - DANG! :derp:
sure hope to catch up here in Germany someday, somehow.

Pat.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.