Fender Pawn Shop Discontinued?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Pawn Shop Discontinued?

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:40 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:28 pm
pscates wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:32 am
I truly loved the idea of the Pawn Shop series (guitars and amps). Let's be honest...how "exciting" can they make a Strat or Tele at this point? Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the guitars themselves. But let's be reasonable: anyone who wants one of those workhorses certainly has one by now, in some form (Squier or Fender, in one of the 19,000 variants they've offered).

They are what they are. A few electronics tweaks or neck/body wood variants is all we're really in for at this point.
The Pawn shop '72 was as interesting a strat as I've seen from Fender in years. Thin line body, tele neck, WRHB and HB, unique pickguard, control plate, and a colour that wasn't red, white, black or sunburst. Would love to see more like this.

I took mine more in the Tele direction but yeah, in my eyes what's not to like? :freako: It's pretty amazing sounding and feeling rawkin Tele Custom stand in IMO
ImageImage

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:05 pm

Sid Nitzerglobin wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:40 pm
I took mine more in the Tele direction but yeah, in my eyes what's not to like? :freako: It's pretty amazing sounding and feeling rawkin Tele Custom stand in IMO
Ok, so first off, that's awesome. Secondly, I have a question. How's the tone in the bridge position? I ask because the bridge pickup looks to be farther away than usual, especially for a slanted single coil like that. Is it warmer than a regular Tele? Does it have any trouble getting the usual spank and twang a Tele bridge is known for?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:50 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:05 pm
Sid Nitzerglobin wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:40 pm
Ok, so first off, that's awesome. Secondly, I have a question. How's the tone in the bridge position? I ask because the bridge pickup looks to be farther away than usual, especially for a slanted single coil like that. Is it warmer than a regular Tele? Does it have any trouble getting the usual spank and twang a Tele bridge is known for?
Thanks!

It's a Hipshot strat hard tail bridge w/ a sort of short shelf so it kinda looks that way. I think it might actually be a bit closer than the standard tele string break to pole piece distance, but it doesn't sound that far off what I'd expect from a tele either way.

The bridge pickup is a Lollar Novel T and it's definitely a strong and solid sounding pickup, very articulate, and has plenty of twang on tap. I feel just as good playing Minutemen songs on this as the Booncaster I kinda purpose built for that, there's maybe a little more body to the Pawn Shop. I think this pickup is probably closest to the SD Jerry Donahue (which coincidentally is what I've got in the aforementioned Booncaster) in tonal content out of what I've tried , and I think it's a little more dynamic to play through.

The neck pickup is from my LRJM and sounds pretty good by itself and works really well blending in w/ the bridge pickup for a little extra girth and nice cocked wah sounds w/ the phase switch engaged. It may be replaced in the near future if I go ahead trade a friend his spare set of MojoTone WRHBs for the balance he's got w/ me on an AC30 I sold/traded to him.