Re: My 65 Jag and Pro Reverb

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
JJ Gabor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JJ Gabor » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:08 pm

Very nice, well done! 8)

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:36 pm

MikeMaster wrote:
øøøøøøø wrote: Get some Caig DeOxit and spray it onto the switch, the top part before sliding the switches.

I know it seems like it won't get down in there, but it will.  The stuff is designed to creep down into small spaces.  It will clean it out in no time.  It also evaporates completely and invisibly and won't hurt the pickguard or finish.
Thanks that is helpful, I assume a Radio Shak type purchase?
Radio shack probably has something called "electronics contact cleaner."  You can get cleaner, or you can get cleaner/lubricant.  Get the cleaner only.  Cleaner/lubricant is designed for pots and faders.  Don't use the cleaner only on pots as pots need some lubricant to keep the carbon trace from flaking off. 

Caig is the best working brand and is available at many better electronics stores (i.e. not cell-phone shack) and almost any electronics-related place online (redco, small bear, antique electronics supply, mojo, etc).  But the rat shack stuff will probably do ya.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:54 pm

Mike,  that is just magnificant  ....    it is so good that you were able to get/keep the amp together with the jaguar.

The colour of the finish on the jaguar is so radiant.  what a great find....  and it is with someone who appreciates the joy of a jaguar
well done mate.  :D
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Regan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Regan » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:08 am

Oh my gosh!!!! Both the guitar and amp are fabtastic! I have a '65 Jag that I just refinned.....it used to be sunburst too. I bought it in the late seventies and it was in good shape, but as good as yours.

I know you will love the Pro Reverb too. Combine that with that vintage Jag and you will have some sweet tone. In fact, I used a 70's Pro Reverb for a while back in the 70s, and I played my Jag through it some. I have a '66 Vibrolux Reverb now, but my Jag was torn apart when I bought this amp.  I was thrilled when I got my Jag back together and tried it through the Vibrolux. The sound is unbelievable!

Regan
Last edited by Regan on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:55 am

now the question becomes will you keep that museum-quality pro reverb 100% original and never play it, or will you perform the necessary routine service on it (filter cap job) and play it?

Unfortunately you can't really have both.  If you play that amp with original caps, particularly if it has been off for a number of years, you risk doing great damage to it. 

MikeMaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MikeMaster » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:58 am

øøøøøøø wrote: now the question becomes will you keep that museum-quality pro reverb 100% original and never play it, or will you perform the necessary routine service on it (filter cap job) and play it?

Unfortunately you can't really have both.  If you play that amp with original caps, particularly if it has been off for a number of years, you risk doing great damage to it. 
I am not an amp expert can you explain what you mean by damage etc.
MikeMaster

GUITARmole
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GUITARmole » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:10 am

MikeMaster wrote:
øøøøøøø wrote: now the question becomes will you keep that museum-quality pro reverb 100% original and never play it, or will you perform the necessary routine service on it (filter cap job) and play it?

Fireworks and smoking transformers!

Seriously...you can store it as a museum piece or replace all of the filter caps and play it. 

That is one CLEAN amp by the way!  Congratulations on the score!

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:16 am

damn - this must be one of the hottest vintage combos i've ever seen.

:-*
Nobody exists on purpose.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:29 am

MikeMaster wrote:

1. When capacitors with electrolyte in them get old they develop a high internal resistance.  This can make them get hot and explode, shooting electrolyte goo all over the inside of the amp.  You really don't want to try and be cleaning that stuff up.
2. When filter capacitors get old, they no longer block ripple and can create loud hum.  This can happen suddenly, and has even been known to blow a speaker.

spaceghost
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spaceghost » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:38 am

fantastic explanation. makes me want to crank my amp and sniff the tubes!!

MikeMaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MikeMaster » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:53 am

Oh boy  :-X  I already had this on for about a half hour or so.  Good news, nothing happened bad news, I am now afraid to turn it back on.  This sounds like a nightmare. :k
MikeMaster

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:55 am

spaceghost wrote: fantastic explanation. makes me want to crank my amp and sniff the tubes!!
heh, 'tube-sniffing'... sounds like a fetish.

"What turns you on?"
"Turning my amp on and sniffin' the tubes..."
"Ooooh, yeah, me too - gotta  Bassman handy?"

lol  :D

Regan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Regan » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:05 am

MikeMaster wrote: Oh boy  :-X  I already had this on for about a half hour or so.  Good news, nothing happened bad news, I am now afraid to turn it back on.  This sounds like a nightmare. :k
Having the amp recapped is considered normal maintenace and will not hurt the value. If I wanted to play it I would not risk heating it up. If I were going to sell it I would leave it alone, I guess.....although it would be afully difficult to have that thing sitting there and not be able to use it!

Regan

Surfoverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfoverb » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:18 am

Are you going to relic everything?

Just kidding...Those 2 are beautifull!

You should email the ampware guy he'd probably be interested in pics and info. your OG looks cleaner than his restored 66 pro.  :o

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:19 am

That seems a bit extreme to me.  I mean yeah those things can happen but it's sorta like not going to San Fransisco because they're guaranteed to have an earthquake—at some point anyway. Plus I've heard tons of conflicting info regarding the filter caps shelf life...  yeah, many of them can and will fail in 15 years but that doesn't mean they HAVE to.  If they aren't leaky and are up to spec I would venture a guess they'll be fine.  The condition this amp is in makes it pretty obvious it was stored in hermetically sealed hyperbolic uber-chamber full of specialized amplifier anti-aging air so it seems to me they've had the best chance of surviving in ideal condition.  I would simply leave it stock and continue to enjoy it from time to time without doing anything silly like turning it to 10 with two big muffs and a treble booster hammering the front end. 

Disclaimer: The above is just my personal preference and not specific advice to you. In other words, if you do blow it up I don't want to be responsible. ;D