New Reverend Billy Corgan signature guitar.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
frelonvert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Reverend Billy Corgan signature guitar.

Post by frelonvert » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:00 am

OffYourFace wrote:
gutter rock wrote: ... I never play my JM anymore, just my '62, '63 and '64 Teiscos.
You know that you have to post some pictures now somewhere on the forum! Would like to see those.
Take care the skons is evrywhere !

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:09 am

The Reverend Billy Corgan, who ordained him?
countertext wrote:Somehow this post led me to a video of Larry King asking Marilyn Manson why he doesn't talk to Billy Corgan any more, and he said it's because he told Billy he should sell Charlie Brown shirts at shows, because he had a Charlie Brown thing going on, and he might have gotten mad about it.
I know very little about Smashing Pumpkins other that the fact that I've hated every meedly rawkist peep I've heard from them but...

However...maybe he should get a Charlie Brown jumper, he's too elderly for a hoodie and in any case Manson's in a glass house if he's giving out sartorial barbs when he's not even got Dita Von Tease these days to distract you from his myriad style crimes

and...
OffYourFace wrote: The more you guys hate it, the more I like it! Haha. Just like jazzmasters and Jaguars... The more trendy they get, the less interested I get.
Ever since I saw the terms offsetter, offset band and offset music (I think someone once used the phrase 'offset radio' on here :o ) used I've felt quite disconnected from the guitars (and the whole groupthink around them) but at the same time I've never cared what guitar other folk play, only the end product.

I totally get what you are saying about Yamaha and Reverend and while I have some fairly serious design issues with the Corgan guitar*, I still applaud it not being a straight Fender or Gibson copy (such a pity they could never copyright the bodies) and for having it's own style of pickups. That said, it sounds horrendous to me, like he's plugged into a headphone amp and not in a good way but hey what do I know, maybe it's an awesome classic rawk tone and I just can't hear it.

I've been around for a while and stuff that was once cool can end up uncool and vice versa, it's happened time and again. The key in life is to make up your own mind, find your own style, seek out your own taste in music (and everything) and look away from all this peer validation groupthink, we are people not chameleons.

* that guitar needs to read this (regarding accessories) ;
Coco Chanel wrote:Once you've dressed, and before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take at least one thing off.
D
Are you loathsome tonight?

brndgtl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brndgtl » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:33 am

OffYourFace wrote: Just like jazzmasters and Jaguars... The more trendy they get, the less interested I get.
I feel this!
shadowplay wrote:The Reverend Billy Corgan, who ordained him?
This made me laugh out loud!

Johnny Burrito
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnny Burrito » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:13 am

brndgtl wrote: The Yamaha Revstar that Jeff is using now looks like an incredible guitar. I'd love to try out one of the Japanese models.

Agreed.

Johnny Burrito
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnny Burrito » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:16 am

I think the Corgan guitar sounds pretty damn good. I'm not crazy about the look, but I'm glad they're at least trying something different. I'd rather something be radically weird than a hamfisted rehash of elements from other designs (Ibanez Talman comes to mind).

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:40 am

brndgtl wrote:
This made me laugh out loud!
I keep wondering if this makes Mike 'OffYourFace' his altar boy!

D

mikeyjames56
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mikeyjames56 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:52 am

"Jazzmasters and offsets are too trendy for me"

"This thing is hideous what were they thinking"

This thing really has divided the group here! :wacko: I'm in the "too much pickguard" camp myself. Reverend makes cool shit, but this is low on the totem pole for me. I'd sooner rock the Corgan strat, and I'm not a SP nor a strat fan. C'est la vie.

smallerthings
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smallerthings » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:36 pm

I wasn't too impressed with the sound and it looks terribly gaudy for my taste.

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:48 am

countertext wrote:Somehow this post led me to a video of Larry King asking Marilyn Manson why he doesn't talk to Billy Corgan any more, and he said it's because he told Billy he should sell Charlie Brown shirts at shows, because he had a Charlie Brown thing going on, and he might have gotten mad about it.
I know very little about Smashing Pumpkins other that the fact that I've hated every meedly rawkist peep I've heard from them but...

However...maybe he should get a Charlie Brown jumper, he's too elderly for a hoodie and in any case Manson's in a glass house if he's giving out sartorial barbs when he's not even got Dita Von Tease these days to distract you from his myriad style crimes

and...
OffYourFace wrote: The more you guys hate it, the more I like it! Haha. Just like jazzmasters and Jaguars... The more trendy they get, the less interested I get.
Ever since I saw the terms offsetter, offset band and offset music (I think someone once used the phrase 'offset radio' on here ) used I've felt quite disconnected from the guitars (and the whole groupthink around them) but at the same time I've never cared what guitar other folk play, only the end product.

I totally get what you are saying about Yamaha and Reverend and while I have some fairly serious design issues with the Corgan guitar*, I still applaud it not being a straight Fender or Gibson copy (such a pity they could never copyright the bodies) and for having it's own style of pickups. That said, it sounds horrendous to me, like he's plugged into a headphone amp and not in a good way but hey what do I know, maybe it's an awesome classic rawk tone and I just can't hear it.

I've been around for a while and stuff that was once cool can end up uncool and vice versa, it's happened time and again. The key in life is to make up your own mind, find your own style, seek out your own taste in music (and everything) and look away from all this peer validation groupthink, we are people not chameleons.

* that guitar needs to read this (regarding accessories) ;
Coco Chanel wrote:Once you've dressed, and before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take at least one thing off.
D
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:59 am

We don't really do the crying baby face around here, certainly not when David speaks.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:00 am

Johnny Burrito wrote:
brndgtl wrote: The Yamaha Revstar that Jeff is using now looks like an incredible guitar. I'd love to try out one of the Japanese models.

Agreed.
See, now that's a subtle, restrained, and attractive guitar. Less being more in this case. More not being more with the Billy Corgan thing.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:23 am

Larry Mal wrote:We don't really do the crying baby face around here, certainly not when David speaks.
I don't know what it even means, I just don't speak meme or lolcatz, beyond the fact that if you're communicating through pictures you aren't exactly Oscar Wilde. Generally we graduate from flash cards to arguing like proper Scottish people the minute we learn a few words.

D

Aeon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Aeon » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:00 am

A few thoughts:

-the prototype with 2 pick guards looks much better than the production model with 4 pick guards. Too busy, not clean/elegant. Hopefully they will change this on a second production run.
-that said, I like the design. Weight-relieved and semi/fully-hollow guitars are my preference these days. There's no need for a boat anchor to get good tones or sustain, and I find that chambering adds some nice 'bloom' and complexity to the timbre and overtones of a guitar.
-I also like the pickups. P90s are my favorite style, so something that approximates their style of 'ballsy clarity' without hum sounds great. I wonder if these might become available independently? I would totally consider throwing one in the bridge position of my Gibson ES-339.
-While the specs are nice, that's pretty expensive for a Korean import guitar. I know that country of manufacture means less today than it used to and also that Korean and Japanese guitars are as good/better than USA models, but I think people interested in this model would've been willing to pay a few hundred more for a USA model (with perhaps nicer wood selection -- not sure if the wood chosen for the construction actually is relevant to how the guitar sounds/plays). Just speaking from the perspective of a potential guitar buyer -- stuff like country of manufacture, type of finish, and "tone woods" matter to this demographic per their perception, even if reality contradicts these perceptions/biases.
-pretty much ANYTHING would sound good running through that amp (Diezel Einstein). So I would wait until this guitar is demoed through something more 'neutral' sounding (like, say a Twin Reverb) before making too many claims about its tone. It does appear to respond well to higher-gain, but for me I would want something that sounds good clean or moderate Vox-y grit. Sometimes pickups that sound good at high gain don't do so well in lower-gain contexts. However they are promoting this guitar as being 'versatile' so I'd assume it's got a nice clean sound.

Ben17e
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ben17e » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:18 pm

I think it's pretty awesome. I could do without all the guards but in white I think it works well. The pickups look very promising. I have experience with most of the Railhammers
Models and am a fan. I think this is a lot of guitar. I tend to go for trems and mostly smaller companies or parts guitars now but am a big Reverend fan and still would consider one of these. They sold 3 at monster music in a couple hours so people
Definitely are digging it in the not traditional offset circles

MrLambyLamb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrLambyLamb » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:39 pm

Johnny Burrito wrote:I think the Corgan guitar sounds pretty damn good. I'm not crazy about the look, but I'm glad they're at least trying something different. I'd rather something be radically weird than a hamfisted rehash of elements from other designs (Ibanez Talman comes to mind).
I agree. I can't believe how many strat copies there are that are more expensive than real, American stats. If you're going to buy a strat, but a Fender (or a Squier). Same with Fano JMs, etc.