New Reverend Billy Corgan signature guitar.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: New Reverend Billy Corgan signature guitar.

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:55 pm

felixvaughn wrote:I'm surprised it doesn't have single coils and a larger headstock though.
I'm not.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:14 pm

frelonvert wrote:And it is offset!
New pickups, new ideas... some fresh air.
Image4
VID:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzl60Kyoy0Q
That front one looks like a fucking penguin. :wtf: :fp:

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:29 pm

Somehow this post led me to a video of Larry King asking Marilyn Manson why he doesn't talk to Billy Corgan any more, and he said it's because he told Billy he should sell Charlie Brown shirts at shows, because he had a Charlie Brown thing going on, and he might have gotten mad about it.

I lol'd.

PS I really love Gish, and to a lesser extent Siamese Dream, so I'm not knocking Billy.

But I lol'd.

BulletLee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BulletLee » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:35 pm

countertext wrote:Somehow this post led me to a video of Larry King asking Marilyn Manson why he doesn't talk to Billy Corgan any more, and he said it's because he told Billy he should sell Charlie Brown shirts at shows, because he had a Charlie Brown thing going on, and he might have gotten mad about it.

I lol'd.

PS I really love Gish, and to a lesser extent Siamese Dream, so I'm not knocking Billy.

But I lol'd.
I have a feeling Billy Corgan can be a real salty guy. That guitar seems like it would be one of those short lived models with a ton of character that would be a holy grail someday, or just a short lived model.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:46 pm

brndgtl wrote: He was playing a Jag live for ages. Wish they'd do something there or just reissue the Corgan signature Strat instead.

Also, the other SP guitarist has something going on with Yamaha guitars. Looks more interesting to me:
https://youtu.be/rT_PYbMXiE0
Billy cut ties with Fender because they wouldn't promote the guitar enough. Anyone notice how he replaced all the necks on his sig model with '57 RI necks? Everyone knows the BC sig strat is just a Highway One strat with BC Dimarzios.

Yamaha and Reverend are super cool. These medium sized guitar companies are super accommodating. My friends who work for Fender are great and super accommodating as well (to me) but Fender isn't a place for innovation. People only want the 'classics' from them and that's fine.

It doesn't matter if you like the guitar or not. I think enough people will and it actually sounds great. I admit that ATM I prefer the first design with just 2 pickguards.
Everyone thinks they know what Billy wants and likes, especially guitar companies. But only he knows... and he doesn't live in the past.
The most important thing I've learned from working with SP is never assume anything.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:50 pm

tribi9 wrote:
frelonvert wrote:And it is offset!
New pickups, new ideas... some fresh air.
Image4
VID:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzl60Kyoy0Q
That front one looks like a fucking penguin.

You hate penguins!! :D

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:09 pm

Yes they are hideous, but...um something positive...I kind of like the purple burst finish of the one on the right

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gutter rock » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:51 pm

Hate it. Reminds me of when Homer Simpson designed the "Homer" automobile on The Simpsons. Just too much going on here. I bet Billy plays this guitar for a year in public tops. I will say that designing your signature guitar can't be easy. I think people often try and make it a jack of all trades but it ends up being a master of none. He even said in the video that he wanted a guitar that could do all the tones he needed for an entire show. Maybe it can do that, but he's rich...where's the fun in that? You can have a different guitar for each song, he's got techs tuning them up for him!

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:01 pm

OffYourFace wrote:It doesn't matter if you like the guitar or not. I think enough people will and it actually sounds great. I admit that ATM I prefer the first design with just 2 pickguards.
Everyone thinks they know what Billy wants and likes, especially guitar companies. But only he knows... and he doesn't live in the past.
The most important thing I've learned from working with SP is never assume anything.
It sounded like Billy Corgan in the video, and if they feel and sound good, people will buy them... and cut their own guards or something. I hope a shop near me decides to carry a couple - I don't run across a lot of Reverends, and I wonder how the feel compares to a Fender.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:43 pm

gutter rock wrote: He even said in the video that he wanted a guitar that could do all the tones he needed for an entire show. Maybe it can do that, but he's rich...where's the fun in that? You can have a different guitar for each song, he's got techs tuning them up for him!
Ahem. I LOVE the idea. Most guitar players don't want to change guitars IME. Jeff Beck plays the same Strat all night.
Billy only uses 3 tunings live on electric: Eb, E natural, and Drop D.

The more you guys hate it, the more I like it! Haha. Just like jazzmasters and Jaguars... The more trendy they get, the less interested I get. I never play my JM anymore, just my '62, '63 and '64 Teiscos. Actually, the Reverend BC kinda reminds me of old Teisco and Ibanez guitars with the split guards... Especially Joe Naylor's original 2 Pickguard prototype. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:34 pm

It's not much to look at, but it could have been a lot worse.

The guitar isn't half as annoying as the video.
This is an excellent rectangle

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:47 pm

I will be very keen to try one out. The pickups sound very interesting and i am intrigued by the cavities. I've always preferred maple boards too. I think the guitar will look better in person too.

They are going for ~ £850 in the UK, which is pretty competitive. It certainly could provide competition for my existing guitars.
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

tvrf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tvrf » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:48 pm

If the pickguards were different colours on different models I might be more on board with it. Pickups sound pretty damn good to me though.

brndgtl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brndgtl » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:51 am

OffYourFace wrote: Yamaha and Reverend are super cool. These medium sized guitar companies are super accommodating. My friends who work for Fender are great and super accommodating as well (to me) but Fender isn't a place for innovation. People only want the 'classics' from them and that's fine.
Yeah, as much as I love Fender, it's these companies I look to for innovation. Some of the other (not-too-dissimilar) Reverend models interest me more but there's such a range that it's incredible. The Yamaha Revstar that Jeff is using now looks like an incredible guitar. I'd love to try out one of the Japanese models.
OffYourFace wrote: It doesn't matter if you like the guitar or not. I think enough people will and it actually sounds great. I admit that ATM I prefer the first design with just 2 pickguards.
I've come to see him as modern music's Don Quixote. Billy seems to always be on this almost unobtainable and idealistic quest for a guitar sound that only he hears. That's amazing to me and I have massive respect for it!

frelonvert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by frelonvert » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:57 am

Light, resonnant, killer pickups. The new reverend and the revstars are a bunch of fresh air. I would love to try those.
At least, it is not the same 60 years old guitar.
Billy Corgan is a fabulous songwriter. Can't wait to hear what he will do with this guitar.
Take care the skons is evrywhere !