Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
User avatar
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1699
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Post by Larsongs » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:01 am

SignoftheDragon wrote:Supposedly delivering tomorrow......

My first NGD post in years is on the way!
Congrats in advance. Look forward to hearing & seeing it.

Here's a YouTube for the new Surfcaster 6 string. I couldn't find one for the 12 string yet. Too new. I'm sure the 12 string will be equally cool!

Lucky

http://youtu.be/KICCaZmqxys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
MiHu
Expat
Expat
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:13 am
Location: Munich - Europe

Re: Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Post by MiHu » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:49 am

Larsongs wrote: Not being a fan of Dano 12 strings quality this could be a great alternative.
I'm surprised that your Dano 12 string was so bad. Is it a Korean one?
I have one from Korea bought in 2012 and it's a great, high quality guitar. I think it's better than my Japanese Jaguar.

User avatar
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1699
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Post by Larsongs » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:55 am

MiHu wrote:
Larsongs wrote: Not being a fan of Dano 12 strings quality this could be a great alternative.
I'm surprised that your Dano 12 string was so bad. Is it a Korean one?
I have one from Korea bought in 2012 and it's a great, high quality guitar. I think it's better than my Japanese Jaguar.
I bought a new one arpund 2012 too. Not sure where it was built. It fell apart immediately after I got it it. Pot metal screws broke while removing Neck to Set up. I was barely able to put it back together. I called the online Co. & explained the situation & returned it. I may have got a bad one, I don't know.

I bought a Rickenbacker 360 12 string & a Phantom Guitarworks Phantom 12 string. Both are excellent quality & have the Sound!

I have played a couple new Dano f hole strings. They sounded just ok to me. There may be some good ones but you probably have to play several to find one.

Lucky

User avatar
MiHu
Expat
Expat
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:13 am
Location: Munich - Europe

Re: Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Post by MiHu » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:15 am

Larsongs wrote:
MiHu wrote:
Larsongs wrote: Not being a fan of Dano 12 strings quality this could be a great alternative.
I'm surprised that your Dano 12 string was so bad. Is it a Korean one?
I have one from Korea bought in 2012 and it's a great, high quality guitar. I think it's better than my Japanese Jaguar.
I bought a new one arpund 2012 too. Not sure where it was built. It fell apart immediately after I got it it. Pot metal screws broke while removing Neck to Set up. I was barely able to put it back together. I called the online Co. & explained the situation & returned it. I may have got a bad one, I don't know.

I bought a Rickenbacker 360 12 string & a Phantom Guitarworks Phantom 12 string. Both are excellent quality & have the Sound!

I have played a couple new Dano f hole strings. They sounded just ok to me. There may be some good ones but you probably have to play several to find one.

Lucky
Glad you found great 12 string guitars that you like! I image I would love both of them.
Maybe our different experiences have to do with a combination of bad/good luck and personal preference...

User avatar
DarnWeight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Post by DarnWeight » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:33 am

SignoftheDragon wrote:Supposedly delivering tomorrow......

My first NGD post in years is on the way!
Interested to hear how you're getting on with the Eastwood. I've got a few of their other models (Sidejack VI, Warren Ellis tenor, Folkstar...really dig them all), and I'm in the market for an electric 12 after a bad experience with a used Ric over the last couple of weeks.

User avatar
SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:06 am
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Post by SignoftheDragon » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:02 am

Yeh- sorry it's been a while. I've been going back and forth about what I want to say about it, plus I'm LAZY.

First of all, it's a decent guitar for the price- has all of my 'must-haves' as far as features. (12-saddle adjustability is the big one there- most of the recent 12ers have neglected this feature) The build quality is on par or better than most mid-level guitars I've looked at lately. I'm a 12-string only kind of guy, so I'm thinking about Gretsch, Ibanez, and Schechter 12s that I've played with recently. It's not quite as stable tuning-wise as I would like- but that may just be the neck and strings settling in. I usually hear a bit of tune drift after 2-3 songs at rehearsal, and it is definitely farther out of tune than any of my other guitars after sitting on the rack or in the case for a week. (this is just a comparative observation- my Charvels stay in tune for weeks at a time, or close to it)

The main thing that sets this guitar apart from other 12s in the sub-$1K price range is the TONE. WAAAYYY better than my Schecter, and by far better than the Ibanez and Gretsch. It doesn't sound exactly like an original Surf12, but it's similar with a gorgeous voice all its own- loud and chiming with plenty of guts.

That said, I'm not entirely happy with the guitar- as a Surfcaster copy it certainly misses the mark on a couple key issues for me:

1) The neck. It definitely has the shorter Gibson scale length, and a comfortable-but-not-accurate beefy neck and wide fretboard. They also neglected the 23rd and 24th partial frets, just leaving the angled area blank.

2) The body. It has the same look, but it's a full inch wider and longer than the original. The feel is a bit alien when combined with the wider, beefier neck and shorter scale. I don't know where they got their measurements from, but it definitely wasn't an original Surfcaster.

A few smaller differences- they omitted the push/push phase inverter in the tone pot, but I'm not sure that I miss it as I rarely use that. The Gumby-shaped headstock is a bit wider as well, making the whole thing look a bit squashier than the originals. Look at the pics on the site and tell me if you see that too. All of the Eastwood surfcasters (6ers included) look a bit like they're attending their 20-year high school reunion.

All told, it's a great mid-level guitar. I'll keep it, and use it- but it won't ever supplant any of my originals.

When I get around to it, I'll post a new thread with comparison and pics, etc.

User avatar
SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:06 am
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:48 am

Here's a quickie-shot from the other day when I actually had all my 12ers out on the rack:

Image

You can see that the Eastwood is a bit bigger & squashier than the real surfcasters.

By now, the neck & strings have settled a bit more, and the tuning is definitely more stable.

User avatar
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1699
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Post by Larsongs » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:41 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:Here's a quickie-shot from the other day when I actually had all my 12ers out on the rack:

Image

You can see that the Eastwood is a bit bigger & squashier than the real surfcasters.

By now, the neck & strings have settled a bit more, and the tuning is definitely more stable.
Nice collection of 12'rs!

User avatar
SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:06 am
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue May 03, 2016 10:40 pm

And... sold it. Threw it on the 'bay to placate the finances, and it sold. Sorta sad to see it go, but not as sad as I would have been about any of the real ones.

I'll probably keep an eye out for a bargain on one in future, but my money will be more likely socked away to buy more originals.

User avatar
zakmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:42 am

Re: Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Post by zakmaster » Wed May 04, 2016 1:59 am

60 Strings! :w00t:

SignoftheDragon wrote:And... sold it. Threw it on the 'bay to placate the finances, and it sold. Sorta sad to see it go, but not as sad as I would have been about any of the real ones.

I'll probably keep an eye out for a bargain on one in future, but my money will be more likely socked away to buy more originals.

48 Strings! :w00t:

User avatar
SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:06 am
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Post by SignoftheDragon » Wed May 04, 2016 8:20 am

Those are just the ones at the rehearsal space ;)

my ovation 12 at home still keeps me just at the 60-string minimum.

User avatar
SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:06 am
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Post by SignoftheDragon » Fri May 01, 2020 9:56 am

If these are of any interest to anyone there's a 50% off sale on them today on the eastwood site- $599 for a killer 12-string offset in surf green or cherryburst!

(Trying to decide if it's worth the fight with the wife... it's a pretty good deal)

User avatar
jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5776
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:39 am
Location: i am the OGRE kukukachu, vermont
Contact:

Re: Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Post by jakeisjake » Fri May 01, 2020 12:43 pm

I don't need it...but, man!
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

User avatar
SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:06 am
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Post by SignoftheDragon » Fri May 01, 2020 2:09 pm

Yeah, I don't need it, but I got one anyway. Fantastic guitar for that price.

EDIT: lol- looking up the thread I sold my first one 4 years ago- to the day!

User avatar
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1699
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Re: Eastwood Surfcaster 12 String

Post by Larsongs » Fri May 01, 2020 4:42 pm

Is there a Link? Or Sale Code? o?

I go the website & it shows regular Price?

Thanks

Post Reply