Fender standard jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender standard jazzmaster

Post by gutter rock » Fri May 01, 2015 10:26 am

rhythmjones wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_ayKlYfeZ8

(I'm posting this without my own judgement, just because it's relevant.)
That video was interesting. First thing I noticed is that most of the line workers are doing much less work than I am at my job at a Ford factory here in the USA! Secondly, there has long been a notion that Fender USA cuts all the necks and bodies, even for MIM Fenders. This video shows that isn't the case anymore. The working conditions seem quite acceptable, of course if they weren't I doubt we would be seeing the video!

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Sat May 02, 2015 11:54 pm

It's worth noting that I played one of these today (unplugged only). The neck was AWESOME - same satin finish neck that you're seeing on all of the recent MIM standards. So that that for what you will - it sure ain't bad for a $500 guitar.
Local milk person

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Mon May 04, 2015 3:56 am

I think there's still hope for an American Standard to come. If you look at the lineup, this model is completely inline with the Mexican Standard Strat HH and Standard Tele HH, basically same specs and colors, and they actually did spend some small effort on retooling the bridge. It's like a step closer to the core line, rather than an outlier.

I was originally planning to send this back, but it's grown on me and doesn't really have any problems. The pickups are kind of average, but the nice thing about having humbuckers is there are a ton vastly different options for replacements. It'll be a shame to get rid of those black/chrome zebras, but I don't think they match well with the ghost silver anyway.

All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Mon May 04, 2015 4:27 am

tammyw wrote:I think there's still hope for an American Standard to come. If you look at the lineup, this model is completely inline with the Mexican Standard Strat HH and Standard Tele HH, basically same specs and colors, and they actually did spend some small effort on retooling the bridge. It's like a step closer to the core line, rather than an outlier.

I was originally planning to send this back, but it's grown on me and doesn't really have any problems. The pickups are kind of average, but the nice thing about having humbuckers is there are a ton vastly different options for replacements. It'll be a shame to get rid of those black/chrome zebras, but I don't think they match well with the ghost silver anyway.
How're you liking it so far? There doesn't seem to be much info about the model aside from the official Fender Press Release and it'd be interesting to see what an actual player thinks about it.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon May 04, 2015 5:50 am

Dokterrock wrote:It's worth noting that I played one of these today (unplugged only). The neck was AWESOME - same satin finish neck that you're seeing on all of the recent MIM standards. So that that for what you will - it sure ain't bad for a $500 guitar.
I don't doubt that at all. I'm sure it plays wonderfully.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

kneedriver
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kneedriver » Mon May 04, 2015 6:56 am

Hello all - are these new Standard Jazzmasters essentially the same neck/body as the blacktop?

I have a fantasy of picking up a silver of white one and putting a blacktop pickguard/pickup config on there (I like the white and the silver colors better than the sunburst or black on the BT)

What I essentially want to come out with after pick guard swap and upgrades is a Blacktop JM with better pickups and a color I prefer.

Are the dimensions the same, is this doable?

rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rhythmjones » Mon May 04, 2015 7:22 am

Humbucker routes are not the same as JM pickup routs. You'll probably have to do some routing for the BT neck pickup.

But I don't know for sure, haven't been under the hood of one.
- Mitch

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Mon May 04, 2015 7:49 pm

It's entirely what you'd expect from a Mexican Standard: average, solid. There's something to be said for the Jazzmaster body shape, but other than that I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to anyone. I think the non-rocking bridge and closer tail placement works better for people who aren't planning on using the trem much.

Definitely different pickup routing than the Blacktop HS.

I still recommend the Jim Root model, it's really a fantastic American made guitar.

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gutter rock » Thu May 07, 2015 1:54 am

I can't believe I havent got an AMEN on my previous comment that it should have had wide range humbuckers in it! Wouldn't we embrace a cheap jazzblaster a bit more especially with the Ranaldo discontinued? Also I have given up all hope for an American standard offset. I think the Mexico lacquer series killed any chance of that, they are priced too close to American standard strats and Teles.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Thu May 07, 2015 2:41 am

gutter rock wrote:I can't believe I havent got an AMEN on my previous comment that it should have had wide range humbuckers in it! Wouldn't we embrace a cheap jazzblaster a bit more especially with the Ranaldo discontinued? Also I have given up all hope for an American standard offset. I think the Mexico lacquer series killed any chance of that, they are priced too close to American standard strats and Teles.
Bit late but amen to that, I'd snap up a Fender Mexico $499-$600 priced Jazzblaster in heartbeat.
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Thu May 07, 2015 3:34 am

gutter rock wrote:I think the Mexico lacquer series killed any chance of that, they are priced too close to American standard strats and Teles.
I guess Fender wants to market the Mexico Lacquer JM/Jag to those looking for what we would want to see as an American Standard JM/Jag. Maybe we will see more colour options in the future.
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

cagecafe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cagecafe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:48 pm

I just order one these in used off reverb and it should be here next week.
Anyone know if you can take the silver covers off the pickups or are they not covers?

Thanks,
Greg

https://drumlessjazz.com
https://gregkocis.com
https://affiliate-marketing-biz.com

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blimpage » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:51 am

cagecafe wrote:I just order one these in used off reverb and it should be here next week.
Anyone know if you can take the silver covers off the pickups or are they not covers?
Looking at mine, I don't think the chrome part is a cover - it's the actual pickup bobbin. Looks like you'd have to completely disassemble the pickup and rewind it onto a new bobbin to get rid of the chrome part. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Having said that though, I've barely played this guitar and I've already inadvertently scratched off the chrome in some places, to reveal black plastic underneath. So it'd probably be possible to remove the chrome finish (either with chemicals or just by scraping it off) without too much effort.

cagecafe
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by cagecafe » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:27 am

Thanks for the info
Greg

https://drumlessjazz.com
https://gregkocis.com
https://affiliate-marketing-biz.com