Re: Looking at a CIJ Jaguar ... I've got a few questions

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
TheBlindsideKid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Looking at a CIJ Jaguar ... I've got a few questions

Post by TheBlindsideKid » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:26 pm

Sorry for all they questions but here it goes ...

So, I'm considering getting a CIJ Fender Jaguar in Old Lake Placid Blue later on this year or the start of 2007. Is there any good places to look for a new one that can be shipped to the USA? I've been looking at www.guitarjapan.com they have what I want but it will be almost $1,000 with a case shipped to the USA. If anyone can recommend other places to look that would be great I know Ishibashi carries Jags but they don't have one in the Old Lake Placid Blue with a non-matching headstock?

If I play .11s on my SG and .10s my Les Paul what would be a good string gauge to use on my Jaguar? Also, I've heard there is alot of problems with Jaguars as far as buzzing and strings hopping the saddles. Is a Buzzstop a good thing to add or just a good setup? I really can't set up guitars ... so when I get it I'll have to find somewhere that will do it for me. I plan on using the floating tremelo ... will a buzzstop affect that?

Sorry for all the questions ... if anyone can answer some of these tha would be great thanks. :D

batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by batchainpuller » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:43 pm

I had to make an edit; didn't realize you had looked into Ishibashi...
Last edited by batchainpuller on Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:11 am

Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:43 am

I use 11's on my SG, and used to use flatwound 12's or 13's on my (AVRI) Jag, and got around just fine - you probably won't feel any difference. Flat's sound great on a jag, and feel nice too. The bridge buzz is minimal, and in my opinion hyped up far too much by offset "haters" - you don't need a buzzstop at all, but do put decent gauge strings on (at least 11s, but preferably 12's or 13's).
As for where to buy from, have you tried mailing Ishibashi to see if they can get a non-matching headstock version? They don't show all their stock online, and in my experience will move heaven and earth to try and sort you out.

Good luck.

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:40 pm

My local shop has one, i can get it for you for $800 shipped, with case.
I prefer their older stuff.

TheBlindsideKid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TheBlindsideKid » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:47 pm

aen wrote: My local shop has one, i can get it for you for $800 shipped, with case.
As much as I'd like to I just don't have the money right now. It's going to be probably be early January before I can afford one. Thanks for the offer though. :)

Does anyone know if the tremelo on the CIJ Jaguar is ready to use right out of the box?
I've heard you have to setup the tremelo just right because the spring is weaker than the AVRIs. If anyone has any experience with
the CIJ floating tremelo let me know.

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:01 pm

You have to set up any offset unless the previous owner was an offsetter.  If you get the LPB one from my neck of the woods it'll be set up right, cause i begged them to le tme fix it for them.

TheBlindsideKid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TheBlindsideKid » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:17 pm

aen wrote: You have to set up any offset unless the previous owner was an offsetter.  If you get the LPB one from my neck of the woods it'll be set up right, cause i begged them to le tme fix it for them.
Do you work at music store? I bet it's a cool job.

Also, is the Jaguar new or used? I know it will probably be sold before I'll have the money but I'm kind of interested to hear a little bit about it. Thanks.

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:24 pm

Unfortunately, no, I work at a pawn shop, hang out at the music store.  I promised them it owuld sell if they let me set it up so it was playable, and the trem worked, but i gues i was WRONG!

It's a new one, as in, hasnt ever been owned privately.  they had a CAR one as well last time i checked, they're both from the '03 import, and pretty much nobody aorund here is cool enough to even want one, let alone buy it.  The only danger is some hipster coming in form the twin cities (MN) and snatching it up.

batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by batchainpuller » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:53 pm

Hipsters in Minnesota?
Edit: Nevermind - I remembered that Husker Du and the Replacements call Minnesota their home...
Last edited by batchainpuller on Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBlindsideKid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TheBlindsideKid » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:11 am

aen wrote: Unfortunately, no, I work at a pawn shop, hang out at the music store.  I promised them it owuld sell if they let me set it up so it was playable, and the trem worked, but i gues i was WRONG!

It's a new one, as in, hasnt ever been owned privately.  they had a CAR one as well last time i checked, they're both from the '03 import, and pretty much nobody aorund here is cool enough to even want one, let alone buy it.  The only danger is some hipster coming in form the twin cities (MN) and snatching it up.
It's a long shot but let me know if it's still around in another month or so. I just don't have the money right now since christmas is coming up. Thanks for letting me know about it though. I'd totally be interested if I had $800 now. :(

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:18 am

I bet it will.  Plus, the CAR one still has the freaking 9s that went on it in '03 yeeesh, it's repulsive to the uneducated player and insulting to the offsetter!

TheBlindsideKid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TheBlindsideKid » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:11 am

Cool. I'm totally interested in the LPB Jag. Do you have any pics of it? Or a website to your shop with listings of the guitars you have?
Thanks for answering all my questions so far. I know I'm probably being annoying. I'm going to see if I can save up about $800 in a month or so.
Thanks again for the info. :)

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:57 pm

Well, they'r enot online, but it's pretty standard, new jaguar.

TheBlindsideKid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TheBlindsideKid » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:08 pm

aen wrote: Well, they'r enot online, but it's pretty standard, new jaguar.
Do you have any pics you could upload? Just wanting to see what it looks like and whatnot. Thanks. :)
Last edited by TheBlindsideKid on Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.