What's the best bang-for-your-buck Jazz bass these days?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
fever606
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's the best bang-for-your-buck Jazz bass these days?

Post by fever606 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:37 am

HNNNGGGG Fender Japan JB62-WAL

:?

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:52 am

well this GEddy Lee went for $550. needs tort, though!

i think the Laklands are great, too. it's like a cross between a Fender Jazz and a Music Man Stingray. got that little extra mass and sustain. with a used one at $800 you definitely get more than your money's worth.

my first real instrument is a '74 Jazz Bass. it's great! but of all the Fender guitars that were made over the years, it seems the Jazz Bass has kept consistent quality. made in Japan. made in Mexico... all good!

once i was recording for someone in Eugene, OR on their record. we wanted to re-do the bass track. i wanted to play a Jazz bass on it, but there was no bass at all in the studio at that time. we went down to Guitar Center at 8:30pm and got a MIM Jazz for $300. it felt good and we nailed the sound! we were planning on returning it but i think they may have kept it.
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:36 pm

i still maintain the squier standard range are really sweet guitars. lively pickups and smooth necks. i've been using mine since 2007 and i doubt i'll ever get rid of her.

then:

now:
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:33 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:i still maintain the squier standard range are really sweet guitars. lively pickups and smooth necks. i've been using mine since 2007 and i doubt i'll ever get rid of her.

then:

now:
I think I want one of those burgundy mist metallic affinity jazz basses. But that could be because it's burgundy mist metallic.
My classic vibe squier is awesome and I can recommend getting one.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:42 am

Y'all know I have a killer MIJ OTM Jazz Bass in the classifieds, right?

thenewromance
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thenewromance » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:10 am

MatthewK wrote:Y'all know I have a killer MIJ OTM Jazz Bass in the classifieds, right?
Yeah, and what a sexy one. Matching headstock!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:02 pm

Holy cow, this might be the steal of the year:

Fender Japan CIJ O serial Transparent Blue JAZZ BASS
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

LBx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LBx » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:36 pm

Fujigen Mann Jazz copy w/ a Bad Ass II. Bought it for the cost of the full refret it needed. Burst is a touch dark, matching head stock is not quite my speed and the replaced MIA pickguard only fits 99% well but I love it all the same. Easily plays better than the MIA Jazz I had years back. Massive bang for the buck and def recommended for ebay or Reverb diggers..

(Currently craving block inlays on my CIJ to match for sure...)

bacongrease
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacongrease » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:18 am

LBx wrote:Image

Fujigen Mann Jazz copy w/ a Bad Ass II. Bought it for the cost of the full refret it needed. Burst is a touch dark, matching head stock is not quite my speed and the replaced MIA pickguard only fits 99% well but I love it all the same. Easily plays better than the MIA Jazz I had years back. Massive bang for the buck and def recommended for ebay or Reverb diggers..

(Currently craving block inlays on my CIJ to match for sure...)
anything fujigen is kick ass

bang for buck J:
Squier CV - I've owned two pretty similar to the American standard, except they're made in China. Heavy gloss neck & body, good pickups, needs nothing except to sand the neck of that heavy gloss
Squier VM - nice, lighteweight, thinner gloss, easy to strip, with surprisingly good pickups. Good enough to gig
Fender Standard (MEX) - can be hit or miss but for the most part are ok jsut needs follow-up adjustments like most guitars anyway. older, black label logo have matte finished neck. pickups are ok; I think expectiations are higher on these than Squier bc the price tag. Look for used--they're all over the place--then upgrade to your liking.
Affinity - not bad but inferior neck might bend hit/miss. I've owned two one was a young tree branch the other was ok. nice colors. Some are happy w pickups I replace the pickups first thing. Smaller horns than all other J's (B.I.O.N.)
Fender MIJ Aerodyne best J's I've owned (had three throughout my history)
Fender Am Standard brilliant but not best bang for buck for students but if you have the $$$$ it's a lifer-bass that you buy once then never buy again but where's the fun in that
Fender Reggie Hamilton another lifer p/j includes drop d tuner, usually 11lbs or <
Reverend, Lakland make brilliant J style basses can be found used or new under 1K USD

bacongrease
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacongrease » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:31 am

Maggieo wrote:Holy cow, this might be the steal of the year:

Fender Japan CIJ O serial Transparent Blue JAZZ BASS
Verrrrrrr naaaice

LBx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LBx » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:34 pm

bacongrease wrote:Fender MIJ Aerodyne best J's I've owned (had three throughout my history)
That P/J pickup set is intriguing for sure. Have heard a fair share of them but have never played them myself...