Wadeaminute's Super-Sonic Thread

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
wadeaminute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Wadeaminute's Super-Sonic Thread

Post by wadeaminute » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:12 am

DaveC wrote:The purple one is my favourite, so cool, thanks for sharing.
The purple one is one of my favourites, too. That and the coral one. (Both with the strat jacks on the back.) The silver one is about to leap forward, though. It's getting worked on this weekend - and as I said - 76 tonal options (not counting tone knob and volume knob use).

wadeaminute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wadeaminute » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:16 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:all you need now is a atdi style one

honestly, i love supersonics and your family is no exception
If I did one like Omar's, the controls would be in the wrong place for a right-hander! I did buy an ORM1 this summer - a white one - for $199. That's getting a P-Rails and a triple shot set-up when I get a chance. And a tone knob.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:13 am

wadeaminute wrote:

If I did one like Omar's, the controls would be in the wrong place for a right-hander! I did buy an ORM1 this summer - a white one - for $199. That's getting a P-Rails and a triple shot set-up when I get a chance. And a tone knob.
you'll have to show us it when its done
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

kontingent
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kontingent » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:21 pm

This is really awesome. Thank you for showing these!

wadeaminute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wadeaminute » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:46 pm

I have already modded one since last night.

The Silver Vista Super-Sonic has been modified to now have 76 tonal options, not counting using the tone and volume knobs. The 3-way toggle has been replaced with a five-way strat super switch, and this has been moved to my preferred spot for pickup switches. The tone pot was re-positioned to occupy the hole that had the 3-way to get it farther away from the volume pot. This tone pot is now a Dimarzio push-pull. A thin black guitar pick was sourced by my friend Dan, and this has been super-glued to the pickguard to cover up the extra hole.

OK. Here's how it works:
The five way is wired for 1) bridge straight through, 2) bridge with volume and tone, 3) neck and bridge in parallel (with volume and tone), 4) neck and bridge in series (with volume and tone), and 5) neck pickup with volume and tone pots functional.
The push pull tone pot reverses the phase of the neck pickup, so in the both pickups positions, the pickups are out of phase (I feel like I've messed up this explanation).
The pickups - a hot P-Rails in the bridge and a regular neck P-rails - are both hooked up to triple shot mounting rings - so each pickup can be a P90, a strat-ish rail, a humbucker in series, and a humbucker in parallel.
(And there is a momentary kill button.)
So - position one - straight through, has four tones
Position two, bridge with volume and tone = four tones
Position three, both in parallel, has 4X4 = 16 tones (each of the four tones can be paired with each of the other four tones of the P-Rails, and then you multiply this by two, because you can also put the pickups out of phase, so 32 tones
Position four, same as above, 32 tones
Position five, four neck pickup tones
So, 4+4+32+32+4 = 76 tones
So that was a fun exercise in wiring.

I think that it looks really clean. Very pleased.

I may rework my black one in the same way.

zip73
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zip73 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:53 am

Wade, you are the undisputed King of Super-Sonics. I just modded mine with AV65 Jag PU's:

Here's the thread:
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =8&t=87390

wadeaminute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wadeaminute » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:49 pm

zip73 wrote:Wade, you are the undisputed King of Super-Sonics. I just modded mine with AV65 Jag PU's:

Here's the thread:
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =8&t=87390
That is super-nice! I've never once thought of doing a Jaguar version. Hmmm. Beat me to it.
What do Jaguar pickups do that other single coil pickups don't, please? It occurs to me that this is a blind spot for me. The only Jaguar I have is the VM HB in Fiesta Red with the strat jack - which I love - but it obviously didn't come with Jaguar single-coils.
I really like those knobs - where did you get them, please?

And as for being the "king" - does it count when no one else is vying for the crown?
Last edited by wadeaminute on Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wadeaminute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wadeaminute » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:09 pm

Now I'm thinking that I want to put my XII neck and bridge from the red one to the purple one, so that I have a purple XII with a single Surf 90.

But then I'd have to mod out the red one somehow.

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:53 pm

These are so cool!
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

benji
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benji » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:18 am

Your house is like a super-sonic museum!

zip73
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zip73 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:05 pm

wadeaminute wrote:I really like those knobs - where did you get them, please?
Found them at Small Bear Electronics (no affiliation). They have a variety in white and off white that are pretty similar to stock for both the knurled-shaft type pots and sold-shaft. The difference being the sleeve in the solid-shaft is brass and has a flat-head brass set-screw rather than the stock hex-type.

wadeaminute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wadeaminute » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:33 am

I found this photo of the first two from about ten years ago. The Blue one has a clear guard and clear speed knobs, which I think looked pretty bad ass, and the black one was stripped down with a single stacked YJM humbucker and a 3-way switch (HB, single, off). Wicked. Maybe I should have left these two alone?

wadeaminute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wadeaminute » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:07 pm

My latest idea - as I needed one for the red one if I convert the purple one to a XII - is to make a red sparkle Brian May hybrid. I would put it back to a six string by swapping out necks and bridges with the purple one, get some Burns Tri-Sonics, a sheet of black pickguard material, vol, tone, and six little white slider switches.
A good idea?

wadeaminute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wadeaminute » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:35 pm

It's been five months, but I have an update to my Super-Sonics.
The black one, which would be pristine if I didn't chop it up, is now closer to functioning as a Les Paul.
It still has the Dimarzio Tone Zone bridge and PAF neck pickups, in Seymour Duncan Triple Shot mounting rings (so one can select series, parallel, and each coil individually for each pickup), and the momentary kill button (although it now has a black one). The changes include changing out the Gibson-style 3-way toggle for a Telecaster switch and the switch now being located below the neck pickup (necessitating the routing of a new channel in the body), stacked concentric pots / knobs (which I stole from my Squier Jaguar VM HH) that allow each pickup to have its own independent volume and tone controls Like on a Les Paul, new Orange Drop caps, and the gluing of a Long & McQuade guitar pick over the extra hole between the knobs.
It still has the half-Tele bridge.
So, in short, a hardtail, two humbucker guitar with a 3-way switch and independent volume and tone knobs - a Les Pauled - Super-Sonic.

The only other Super-Sonic mod I have in progress is that my JR tribute white one is getting a Dimarzio FS1 Strat pickup to be that much closer to the real thing. The YJM just isn't working out on that guitar. Still may work on the XII string a bit more - but haven't made any decisions. I've been busy building Esquires.

wadeaminute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wadeaminute » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:50 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
wadeaminute wrote:

you'll have to show us it when its done
Actually, I posted this a while back on got exactly one reply.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=91247