The Thomann Bilinda-stang - NGD - pictures and review pg. 2

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Soggasaurus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Thomann Bilinda-stang - NGD - pictures and review pg

Post by Soggasaurus » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:10 am

Nice write-up! I know quality with cheaper guitars can be hit or miss, but it's good to know that there are hits out there with cheap, cool ones like this. I'll add it to my mile-long want list!

2fLAz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 2fLAz » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:28 pm

Sweet review, thanks !
Curious to know what's under the pickguard ? A pool or proper routing ?
Does the bridge uses thimbles or the height adj screws on each side are screwed directly to the wood ?
(yeah plannign a modd)

DavidG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DavidG » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Thought I'd post my initial reaction seen as though mine arrived today also, bought it with the intention of refinishing it at some point (not a clue how to do it, what better way to learn than with a 90 quid guitar!), the quality of this thing is absolutely brilliant for the price.

I have a Cobain Mustang, a Thin Skin Jag, US Les Paul and Strat etc. But I've got a real soft spot for cheap guitars that end up surprising you and this has surpassed what I thought I'd get. As mentioned by the previous poster, they've gone for gloss on the front of the headstock and a satin back on the neck much like my American Standard Strat...apart from a few ever so slight rough areas it's very smooth up and down. I find it very comfortable, the neck feels a little like the Squier VM Jag I had in terms of radius and overall feel in the hand. I actually find these Chinese modern radius necks a little more comfortable than my US Strat, can't put my finger on it but I think there's a bit more girth in them, not as flat so you can wrap your hand round a bit more. Anyway, comfortable and no dead spots.

The pickups sound great, had a few Wilkinson loaded guitars in the past and have nothing but good things to say about them all. It's what makes the 'Vintage' branded guitars stand out from the crowd for me in that price range, probably needs better electrics inside to bring out the full potential. One thing that took me a few mins to re-adjust, my Cobain Mustang switches have three positions (top, middle (off) & bottom)...this one has only two positions, top is off and bottom is on...so I guess not quite as versatile but not a deal breaker.

The trem is much like the one that was on my Squier VM Jag, stays in position well (unlike my Thin Skin), and stays in tune pretty well so far....just a shame they look a bit plain compared to a Fender one. Hate the look of the pickguard and knobs, like I say I do plan to refinish it but in my opinion a change in pickguard (perhaps tortoise with control plate) and some decent knobs would make this look miles better with minimum effort.

Some not very good pics:

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:06 pm

2fLAz wrote:Sweet review, thanks !
Curious to know what's under the pickguard ? A pool or proper routing ?
Does the bridge uses thimbles or the height adj screws on each side are screwed directly to the wood ?
(yeah plannign a modd)
It is routed in the same way as a Mustang I think. Not a swimming pool either way. There are routes for the pickups and a channel for the switches. And yes, it has thimbles.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

JBhome
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JBhome » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:21 pm

Nice reviews. Reckon you could fit a mustang control plate over the cavity where the pots are? That's the bit that really looks weird to me

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:15 pm

JBhome wrote:Nice reviews. Reckon you could fit a mustang control plate over the cavity where the pots are? That's the bit that really looks weird to me
It's hard to say without having a Mustang plate to compare with. I reckon they've pretty much traced the shape of a Mustang guard and plate, but it might not be a perfect fit. If it is I might wanna put one on myself in the future.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

surfin_bird
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by surfin_bird » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:39 am

I have so much GAS for these due to these posts. I basically have the same guitar but with a vintage neck and a ADH body with jaguar pickups. Dreaming about a second one with hot rails or gold foils or p90's. Or keeping some single coils with a pickup behind the bridge. It's wonderful. :? Neck looks incredibly nice. Needs tort and a control plate though.

Does anybody knows how it is compared to a jay turser? If I would buy a new pg and a control plate I've spend as much as I would've for a jay turser..

RipleyTom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by RipleyTom » Mon May 11, 2015 5:46 am

Hi... I got one a few weeks ago and did some cheap mods...

Quality is really nice.., neck amazing, pickups really nice too...

I made a short video also because there wasn't one anywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOLjMme0_5Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

steve

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Mon May 11, 2015 7:13 am

Does anyone have any experience with the Thomann cheapo Jazzmaster clone with Wilkinson P-90s? I'm looking for a guitar I could take with me when I'm in Croatia for 3 weeks in the summer... one that I can also take to the beach (for the surf sound 8) ). A Jazzmaster-style guitar for 125€ seems too good to be true. I know it doesn't have a trem but that wouldn't bother me...
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

mr_axe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mr_axe » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:53 am

which cts 250k pots will fit this guitar? split shaft, long shaft or solid?

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Thomann Bilinda-stang - NGD - pictures and review pg. 2

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:21 pm

Man I wish these were easier to get. I saw pictures of a competition blue one that was almost perfect, but it had a TOM stoptail deal and obviously I’d want a tremolo. Doesn’t seem like that color is available with those specs, which sucks. I’d buy this for $150 literally right now if I could :/

TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:21 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:21 pm
Man I wish these were easier to get. I saw pictures of a competition blue one that was almost perfect, but it had a TOM stoptail deal and obviously I’d want a tremolo. Doesn’t seem like that color is available with those specs, which sucks. I’d buy this for $150 literally right now if I could :/
I don’t know how they compare to the Harley’s, but Jay Turser made the same Belinda Mustang. The model is called JT-MG for non matching headstock & JT-MG2 for matching headstock. NOS can still be found on eBay for $180.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:39 am

TeenageShutdown! wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:21 am
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:21 pm
I don’t know how they compare to the Harley’s, but Jay Turser made the same Belinda Mustang. The model is called JT-MG for non matching headstock & JT-MG2 for matching headstock. NOS can still be found on eBay for $180.
I wonder if the Jay Tursers come from the same factory. I remember seeing one with a roller bridge, and very vaguely remember someone saying the fretwork was kinda awful (or it might be my own experience briefly squeezing the neck on one...)