Any Gibson Firebird players?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any Gibson Firebird players?

Post by Larry Mal » Mon May 08, 2017 5:59 am

Man, that is really something. I have no doubt it sounds great.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Mon May 08, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks! Looking at the photo, I should probably get round to buying straplocks.

hansbrinker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hansbrinker » Tue May 09, 2017 1:01 pm

I've been thinking of getting one for ages, and the Kauer Banshees are to die for too.

I can think of no better advert for Firebirds than this: :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QySwGXrpHzw

greebo830
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by greebo830 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:22 pm

My son has asked me to post his firebird for him. The week after I got my Epiphone JB Firebird 1 he decides he wants a firebird and sets off to find one on the net. The result a really tidy firebird copy by Legacy (a Austrailian branded range that were made in the samick factory) A quick rewire, some wilkinson Firebird pickups with homemade Sapele mounting rings and she was good to go. This guitar is a killer, it doesn't the raised center so is closer to the Firebird Studio's. I used to have a 2012 Gibson Firebird Studio 70's Tribute and can honestly say that this guitar equals that one, boy does she sing. The Price for this beauty £200 including £50 for the pickups.

sa1126
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sa1126 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:08 pm

hansbrinker wrote:I've been thinking of getting one for ages, and the Kauer Banshees are to die for too.

I can think of no better advert for Firebirds than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QySwGXrpHzw
Oh man. She plays my amp. PJ :-*
Gibson Les Paul Custom --> Orange AD30

great deals with dug, grandmasterdavid, ChrisFFTA, Bryce_dude13, cestlamort, jimi, HNB,blake480,DocCarlson,
Gonkulator, AWSchmit, billboneys, panoramic,Gavanti,seancomm,Swansonron,Con-Tiki!

blackbox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blackbox » Fri May 12, 2017 6:49 pm

FrankRay wrote:Image

Having completely stripped and refinished my firebird VII, I have to say I really love it. Its recently become my live guitar, and basically can make all the same noises as my jag but with less effort. It doesn't squeal, sounds good without any effects and just behaves better and more intuitively than my AV65. Using the neck pickup as a kill switch is great; the only down side is the trem isn't anywhere near as responsive, but I'm getting to grips with it.

I still love my offsets, but....
What year is that one?

gnoleb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gnoleb » Sat May 13, 2017 1:58 pm

wproffitt wrote: I'm intrigued by the Epiphone Firebird I because of the neck, pickup, and bridge.
I acquired one about a month ago. I did a review here, but I'll c&p:
I paid $1000 Canadian, which is actually less than the $800 US in conversion. So for once I got a deal with exchange rates.
Bad:
- The fretboard was filthy. I've had this before with Chinese guitars (and a decade ago vowed to stop buying any Asian guitars, apart from Japanese, until this one). I don't know what they do but playing it for 10 min out of the box makes your fingers black. And it isn't the strings.
- It took me TWO cleanings with F-One oil to get the neck clean and nice. Ridiculous.
- I still can't play like Joe. (A joke, I don't play his music anyways).
Good:
- Everything else, really. The neck was straight, the fretwork good (for the price, its good but not master fretwork), it was setup well.
- No finish mistakes. The walnut looks real and gorgeous.
- It is super light and almost balances completely. That's amazing, as every other firebird I've played was well out of whack. This is just a tad headstock heavy and is no problem playing.
- The neck feels chunky but not overly and its surprisingly fast. I usually prefer the standard C but this is nice. Gives a vibe.
- It sounds and plays great. I'm actually shocked that there isn't anything I want to change on it right now.
- The Epiphone video where Joe talks about setting the volume and tone down and just dialing actually works on this guitar. If I did that on my Les Paul it would be mud. But it works here, somehow. I keep it between 5 and 7 on volume and around 6.5-7 on tone and then go from there. It has a nice jangle and a little cut, but its also a little gritty and spanky. Add more volume and you get more cut and grit. Add more tone and get more jangle, cut the tone and it smooths it out. This is really the first guitar where I find myself adjusting the tone control while playing. Feeling like the electrics are good in a Chinese guitar has shaken me a little bit.
- The pickup is great. From clean to Heartbreakers to Soundgarden, it responds really well to gain. I think its because it isn't as hot, so more gain doesn't compress and make things as "boomy".

I'd definitely recommend it for the price.
I still feel the same way. It was a great purchase. I love how the bass strings have a little "stiff bounce" to them, and the treble strings are a bit more "slinky". It makes digging in with the pick have a great feel to it.

greebo830
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by greebo830 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:26 pm

jamietay wrote:im loving mine, had it since january or so!

only down side is the enormous case it comes in, but at least i know its safe.
literally, only problem i have. and its completely asinine. i want to tinker with it, but i cant find anything to mess with. I even played around with the idea of putting on a lyre tailpiece and realized i was only entertaining that idea because i felt weird not doing something with it
I know what you mean, I tinker with all my guitars even if its just something stupidly minor but with this one I can't find anything to change. I had ordered a period correct 63 style non emblem pickguard but now don't think I'll end up using it. She's just perfect as she is.

Logan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Logan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:25 pm

I just recently got mine a couple of months ago. It's a 2016 Firebird V with a Maestro Vibrola in a color for the Japanese Domestic Market; the gorgeous Faded Pelham Blue ;D
I really like it, including the ceramics that most people don't like. I might change them out someday, but I don't have a problem with how they sound, so for right now I'm going to let it be ;D
I'm in Marching Band and play Guitar. That's about it, pretty boring, isn't it?

sa1126
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sa1126 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:11 pm

That is a gorgeous instrument.
Gibson Les Paul Custom --> Orange AD30

great deals with dug, grandmasterdavid, ChrisFFTA, Bryce_dude13, cestlamort, jimi, HNB,blake480,DocCarlson,
Gonkulator, AWSchmit, billboneys, panoramic,Gavanti,seancomm,Swansonron,Con-Tiki!

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:33 pm

blackbox wrote:
FrankRay wrote:Image

Having completely stripped and refinished my firebird VII, I have to say I really love it. Its recently become my live guitar, and basically can make all the same noises as my jag but with less effort. It doesn't squeal, sounds good without any effects and just behaves better and more intuitively than my AV65. Using the neck pickup as a kill switch is great; the only down side is the trem isn't anywhere near as responsive, but I'm getting to grips with it.

I still love my offsets, but....
What year is that one?
It was originally a tv white, dating from 2002 I think. By the time I got it it was dakota red, to look more like that bloke from Oasis' guitar, apparently. the finish was so bad the neck had a distinct imprint of the case on it and was sticky to the touch. It had to be saved. The vibrola isn't original.