New CS model? Fender Custom Shop Proto Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
dougk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New CS model? Fender Custom Shop Proto Jazzmaster

Post by dougk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:49 pm

zakmaster wrote:Great looking guitars. All three of them look great, and it looks like they took the best of everything. I love that they are a new model, and not reliced, and I was interested enough to click on the link.

$4,000? I know they are CS models, but come on. Necks bolted on to painted bodies with modern electronics screwed into plastic. Fender deserves their profit for building their brand, but that price is shocking. Is there a market for new guitars that cost that much? That aren't craftsman dependent like a high end acoustic?

I know I am an old crab, but that makes me shake my head.
FOUR THOUSAND?

FOUR FREAKING THOUSAND?

I just want to be clear. You take a Jazzmaster. Delete a bunch of cost driving hardware. Then charge 4k for it?

I am way to cheap. You can get Arcturus, in Alder, with a hardtail bridge and any pickups you want for 1950. http://www.kauerguitars.com/daylighter/arcturus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Seriously.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Step forward, step back with Fender. How is this a prototype if it isn't vintage specs?

And who cares. Fine, so it's not vintage specs. But what's the point of it? So it's not a historical recreation of a guitar that no one ever saw really. It's not a Jazzmaster, once again, they just had to fuck with the model. So, it's basically a stop-tail Stratocaster except with Jazzmaster pickups and the shape. Who was asking for that?

I don't see what's good about this guitar at any price.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

furtherpale
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by furtherpale » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:30 pm

Larry Mal wrote:Step forward, step back with Fender. How is this a prototype if it isn't vintage specs?

And who cares. Fine, so it's not vintage specs. But what's the point of it? So it's not a historical recreation of a guitar that no one ever saw really. It's not a Jazzmaster, once again, they just had to fuck with the model. So, it's basically a stop-tail Stratocaster except with Jazzmaster pickups and the shape. Who was asking for that?

could be a prototype for a possible CS, could be based on a prototype leo made early into designing the JM...
Sorry - I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:40 pm

furtherpale wrote:
Larry Mal wrote:Step forward, step back with Fender. How is this a prototype if it isn't vintage specs?

could be a prototype for a possible CS, could be based on a prototype leo made early into designing the JM...
Actually, I think it's a continuation of the Pro series CS started a few years ago. I have no idea how they went from Pro to Proto :-)

Proto Series models (formerly Pro Series) are the Fender Custom Shop’s proving-ground instruments, built with distinctive features typically requested for Master Built guitars and basses.

From a strat/tele perspective, it's about an amalgam of 50s and modern specs, even more so than just fretboard radius and frets, which is allready pretty common.

http://www.fender.com/custom-shop/guita ... -sunburst/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MuscleDad420
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MuscleDad420 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:06 am

I'm just glad it's not another offset with a stopbar AOM setup or a strat jack.

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:21 am

I agree. Otoh it could have been really great if they'd chosen a different bridge, say like on Peter Stroud signature guitar (Elliot guitars):

The Dead Ranch Hands
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by The Dead Ranch Hands » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:24 am

dougk wrote:
zakmaster wrote:Great looking guitars. All three of them look great, and it looks like they took the best of everything. I love that they are a new model, and not reliced, and I was interested enough to click on the link.

$4,000? I know they are CS models, but come on. Necks bolted on to painted bodies with modern electronics screwed into plastic. Fender deserves their profit for building their brand, but that price is shocking. Is there a market for new guitars that cost that much? That aren't craftsman dependent like a high end acoustic?

I know I am an old crab, but that makes me shake my head.
FOUR THOUSAND?

FOUR FREAKING THOUSAND?

I just want to be clear. You take a Jazzmaster. Delete a bunch of cost driving hardware. Then charge 4k for it?

I am way to cheap. You can get Arcturus, in Alder, with a hardtail bridge and any pickups you want for 1950. http://www.kauerguitars.com/daylighter/arcturus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Seriously.
Yeah, that's ridiculous. It looks like a fun little cheap guitar. It looks like a Squier, but costs TGP lawyer monies

Johnny Alien
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Johnny Alien » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:07 am

Jazzmasters just look wrong without a tremolo or stop bridge. There is way too much space back there and if nothings going to be there it's just wasted space. Never likes it and never will. It looks especially wrong on the back where the string through is in the center of that massive body. Really shows off that it's the wrong body shape for that type of design. A strat or Tele with jazzmaster pickups would make way more sense than this and I am not even sure that would make sense either.

thatfenderguy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thatfenderguy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:21 am

This is almost exatly what i've been looking for. Now lets drop the price about $3000. :fp:

parkerstang
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by parkerstang » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:55 am

Saw these online at Dave's the other day. They do look awesome, but the hard tail is a deal breaker for me too.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:10 am

furtherpale wrote:
Yeah, I didn't think about it being a prototype of a design that basically hasn't existed as far as guitar history is concerned. I mean, what's the point of making a prototype model commemorating a guitar that even very few guitarists would know about or care about?

As far as it being a prototype of Leo's design for the Jazzmaster, that would be kind of interesting and at first that's what I thought this was. But then I realized it had modern specs on there as far as frets and neck radius so it's not that. So what the fuck is it?

Ultimately, nothing more than a pointlessly expensive guitar. It's certainly not an improvement on anything.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:18 am

@H, L@@K!
ANOTHER Jazzmaster for people who hate Jazzmasters!! :w00t:

Ugh...these things are the bastard poster-children for design by committee.

"I have a well-thought out, beautiful design."

"It's PERECT! We LOVE everything about it. Don't change a thing!! Except these few things.... I ran this by my wife, who started but never finished an interior decorating course at a local community college and has picked out drapes for many of our friend's cottages... but I digress... anyway - here's your list of changes..."
:derp:

Just...
:k
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:39 am

Huh.

Yeah, the wasted space behind the bridge thing gets to me. It's part of why I don't like telemasters much. And there's the control plate not matching the contour, looking like it was tossed on as an afterthought. It might sound pretty good, but won't have the resonance of a JM. Or, you know, it might sound as dead inside as a truck stop hooker. hardtail strats tend in that direction, it's hard to see why this would be any different. I have my doubts that JM pickups would actually compensate for that. Of course, this looks like it's going after blooz lawyer money and blooz lawyers want strats, so I dunno who's gonna be buying these... Fender, what are you doing?
This is an excellent rectangle

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:08 am

"What do you guys wanna do today? I'm fucking bored."

"I dunno, you want to slap some shit from other guitars on a Jazzmaster body and call it something that sounds vaguely important, mark the price the fuck up and see if anyone actually buys the thing?"

"Again? Whatever. Let's get to it. This place sucks."

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gutter rock » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:53 am

Should be a $200 Squier.