Guitars you would like to kill forever.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Guitars you would like to kill forever.

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:57 pm

There are worse things than having a robot-tuned guitar, but “in tune” is pretty subjective. I have a pretty heavy fretting hand and am a habitual capo user. Even with a well-intonated guitar and a decent pedal tuner I find myself tuning by ear for the last 5% a lot of the time.

Using the Peterson app has reminded me that there’s really no such thing as perfectly in tune. You could mess with it for the rest of your life. If your green light goes on or your arrows line up or whatever on your pedal tuner it just means that device considers it close enough for rock n’ roll. It usually is, but tuning by ear is still an important skill. Sometimes you have to compensate for the deficiencies of what is a pretty imperfect instrument.

Look up some information and examples of different tempering for pianos. That instrument works pretty differently than a guitar, but it’s also a chordal instrument and how “in tune” is determined via different tempering methods has subtle but noticeable effects when notes are played together.

So, yeah. Use the tools that are available, but also know how and when to tune by ear to get the sound you’re after.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:42 pm

^^^

Troof. I actually didn't have a tuner the first few years I played guitar, and used the tried and true "gimme an A" method of tuning by ear. It's served me very well ever since. I suppose one could consider it the guitar equivalent of learning to drive stick, where one is better off starting with the "harder" skillset from the beginning before ever getting a chance to use the more user-friendly variety of vehicle.
This is an excellent rectangle

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:52 pm

I have to apologize. I completely misunderstood the conversation. Had I known we were having a "musicer than thou" conversation I would have ended it the same way I ended "artsier than thou" conversations in architecture school. By walking away and doing architecture instead-- or, in this case, using a tool to make music.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:32 pm

sirspens wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:52 pm
I have to apologize. I completely misunderstood the conversation. Had I known we were having a "musicer than thou" conversation I would have ended it the same way I ended "artsier than thou" conversations in architecture school. By walking away and doing architecture instead-- or, in this case, using a tool to make music.
People expressed their opinions, and backed them up, I doubt any are going to judge musicianship by what gear someone does or does not use. This is not personal, it is just musicians shitting on gear, which we all do to one extent or another.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:12 pm

sirspens wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:52 pm
Oh, are we doing "snarkier than thou" now?

I don't hate the robo tuners or agree with the knee-jerk hate they've gotten either, though I do wonder about them being one more thing to potentially go wrong vs. how useful they would really be.

Better know how to tune up if/when they go. Also, guitarists are horribly anti-progress, to paint in broad strokes. Just look at the "vintage" fetishism and blooze wallowing and having shit fits about Gibson making guitars with neck volutes to keep the headstocks from snapping off. Just be practical and effective, that's my philosophy on all this.
This is an excellent rectangle

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:16 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:12 pm
Oh, are we doing "snarkier than thou" now?
Haha. Not on purpose.

I live in Texas and work in an artistic field. I sometimes grow tired of being surrounded on two sides by fundamentalist evangelicals. One side spouting their religion, the other spouting their artsiness. Both convinced that what is wrong with everyone is that other people aren't more like them. And neither much interested in the peculiarities and idiosyncrasies of the people that surround them and makes the world such an interesting place to live in, or in being objective. And then sometimes it becomes too much. I admit I have very little patience for it.

I have no problem with someone disliking the robot tuner. Or any gear. I have a problem with someone crying woe and pity on those who don't have the fortune to be like themselves.

That said, I am sorry for being snarky.
mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:12 pm
Also, guitarists are horribly anti-progress, to paint in broad strokes. Just look at the "vintage" fetishism and blooze wallowing and having shit fits about Gibson making guitars with neck volutes to keep the headstocks from snapping off. Just be practical and effective, that's my philosophy on all this.
Agreed.

gringopig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gringopig » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:51 am

Guitar to be killed:

KILL IT WITH FIRE. Then kill it again.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:53 pm

gringopig wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:51 am
Guitar to be killed:

KILL IT WITH FIRE. Then kill it again.
I've gone the opposite direction on guitars like that - I hate the music they're usually used for but it would be awesome to see them used for 'inappropriate' musical styles.

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by higgsblossom » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:59 pm

Use it for Flamenco and I'll be all over it :w00t:
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:14 pm

higgsblossom wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:59 pm
Use it for Flamenco and I'll be all over it :w00t:
It needs a piezo for the Flamenco taps and a pair of tap plates, that would give me a smile. I like 8 stringers, not much for fanned frets though, have to think to much to play on them.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:07 am

Pointy body, ridiculous headstock design, douchey graphics over figured wood, over wound pickups, locking tremolo, and a crazy price tag.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Squirrel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Squirrel » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:50 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:07 am
Pointy body, ridiculous headstock design, douchey graphics over figured wood, over wound pickups, locking tremolo, and a crazy price tag.
The official Gumtree "wil u traed 4 this guitar" guitar.