2014 Troy Van Leeuwen Signature Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Mojo Johnson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 2014 Troy Van Leeuwen Signature Jazzmaster

Post by Mojo Johnson » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:39 am

createsounds wrote:I bought one,
Same thing really GREAT price. Wont say exactly but less than 900$ brand new!
Listed as mint! (Floor model) so I definitely gave it a close look when I got it.

Opened the case had a blister in the clear on upper horn near the strap button, very small but findable dent above the bridge. Then here's why it got sent back! On the binding from about the 7th fret up to the body had tones of deep files groves/scratches on every fret on top and bottom of the board!
Totally lame....
That IS lame! In full disclosure, I bought mine from Musician's Friend and the only photos were the stock photos but it was listed as used. Total roll of the dice but as long as any blemishes it might have do not affect playability or sound it's okay with me.

createsounds
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by createsounds » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:10 am

Yeah for most situations I'd agree,
But, there was a bit of back and forths with the seller. Who listed as MINT
And from my perspective it became a bit obvious that the seller knew what he was trying to
Do.

His loss.. Those guitars are a dime a dozen
Nothing bad ment by that I just mean there's plenty of them out there and
I was searching for a jM not a TVL jM

So his loss of double shipping costs...

ThemBones75
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThemBones75 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:28 am

I played mine again Sunday, I really do love that guitar.
And it never fails every time I take it out people really like it they say it is so pretty then when they see it up close and see the sparkle in the finish they like it even more.

OV7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OV7 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:44 am

Mojo Johnson wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to bump this thread up as I just purchased a TVL Jazzmaster, my first Jazzmaster.

I've been reading through this thread and I am a little worried about the notorious High e issue that has been cited. I had to buy this guitar sight unseen and got it for a really good price, which leads me to belive it may have been returned by the original purchaser due to the aforementioned High e problem.

I'd love to pop a Mastery bridge on there, and with the money I saved on the purchase price I could end up with a Mastery-equipped TVL-JM with little to no use on it at the price of a used stock version!

However, I am wondering if anyone else here has gotten on with the TVL w/o changing out the bridge. Some of you mentioned that it's not THAT bad, and I've also read somewhere that the spacing on the Mustang bridge is theculprit. I know everyone's going to say "just get a Mastery or StayTrem" but what about an import Mustang bridge? I understand they have tighter spacing? Has anyone filed the edges of the existing stock saddles so you can squeeze them a little closer? Does that work?

I don't even know if it'll be problematic yet, just preparing myself for the worst.
I have one. I got it from Sweetwater. I've had no issues whatsoever with the high-E string. It is perfectly set up.

tfides
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tfides » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:38 pm

OV7 wrote:
Mojo Johnson wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to bump this thread up as I just purchased a TVL Jazzmaster, my first Jazzmaster.

I've been reading through this thread and I am a little worried about the notorious High e issue that has been cited. I had to buy this guitar sight unseen and got it for a really good price, which leads me to belive it may have been returned by the original purchaser due to the aforementioned High e problem.

I'd love to pop a Mastery bridge on there, and with the money I saved on the purchase price I could end up with a Mastery-equipped TVL-JM with little to no use on it at the price of a used stock version!

However, I am wondering if anyone else here has gotten on with the TVL w/o changing out the bridge. Some of you mentioned that it's not THAT bad, and I've also read somewhere that the spacing on the Mustang bridge is theculprit. I know everyone's going to say "just get a Mastery or StayTrem" but what about an import Mustang bridge? I understand they have tighter spacing? Has anyone filed the edges of the existing stock saddles so you can squeeze them a little closer? Does that work?

I don't even know if it'll be problematic yet, just preparing myself for the worst.
I have one. I got it from Sweetwater. I've had no issues whatsoever with the high-E string. It is perfectly set up.
Same here. Got mine from Sweetwater. Perfect set up, no E string issues. I've barely had to tune it after 100 hrs or so on the guitar. One of the best guitars I have owned in 30+ years of playing and my first offset! I'm a convert.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:36 am

tfides wrote: Same here. Got mine from Sweetwater. Perfect set up, no E string issues. I've barely had to tune it after 100 hrs or so on the guitar. One of the best guitars I have owned in 30+ years of playing and my first offset! I'm a convert.
Careful, now. That's a gateway guitar. Now you'll have to try Jaguars and Mustangs too, plus all the weird humbucker/hardtail variants out there.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

ThemBones75
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThemBones75 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:27 am

I did have to slightly move the neck in the pocket of my TVL but once I did that I have had no issues with the E slipping off.
I actually have more issues with my '52 av pure vintage telecaster, they really rounded those fretboard edges just a little too much

tfides
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tfides » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:55 am

mbene085 wrote:
tfides wrote: Same here. Got mine from Sweetwater. Perfect set up, no E string issues. I've barely had to tune it after 100 hrs or so on the guitar. One of the best guitars I have owned in 30+ years of playing and my first offset! I'm a convert.
Careful, now. That's a gateway guitar. Now you'll have to try Jaguars and Mustangs too, plus all the weird humbucker/hardtail variants out there.
Ha - so true. I have picked up a 65 L series Jag since. While the wear on the neck is spectacular I have issues with the low E string on that one despite putting 12s on it. I don't know if it's the short scale or what but I find myself grabbing for the TVLJM more often.

docleelau
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by docleelau » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:53 am

tfides wrote:
mbene085 wrote:
Ha - so true. I have picked up a 65 L series Jag since. While the wear on the neck is spectacular I have issues with the low E string on that one despite putting 12s on it. I don't know if it's the short scale or what but I find myself grabbing for the TVLJM more often.
I understand the worry around the E string issue, but ive had my TVL for close to two years and havent had any issues with the string. The only issue I have is that I genuinely want to play other guitars, but every time i pick up one of my others all I can think about is how bad i wished it was my TVL!

Mojo Johnson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mojo Johnson » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:13 am

docleelau wrote:
I understand the worry around the E string issue, but ive had my TVL for close to two years and havent had any issues with the string. The only issue I have is that I genuinely want to play other guitars, but every time i pick up one of my others all I can think about is how bad i wished it was my TVL!
A little update on mine - I got it from Sweetwater in PERFECT condition. I've set it up with .11's and have played several gigs with it. I practice with it, and I even keep it in my living room. This is far and away the nicest playing guitar I have and the most rewarding to play. Every feature feels like it was designed specifically for the way I play.

After a month it's hard to imagine a guitar that I'd prefer to play over this TVL Jazzmaster.

ThemBones75
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThemBones75 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:26 am

Silly story but I ended up with a 2017 SG (which I love) but man the neck is so different it is almost wide and flat vs the nice TVL fit in your hand feeling.
I played both last Sunday and could tell a difference immediately.

I know I have said it before but the MIM tag on the back means nothing to me, this is a really good guitar.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:11 am

tfides wrote:
mbene085 wrote:
Wow, I should be used to being right by now, but that's really funny! I picked up a '66 Jag not long after my TVLJM 8)

With vintage Jags, get it set up by someone familiar with offsets. The difference between a pro setup and an amateur one is a lot more pronounced on a Jag than a strat in my experience. I'm also a firm believer in the Mastery - just picking up my '66 today after having it set up with a Mastery by my luthier.

docleelau
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by docleelau » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:16 am

So has anyone tried or know someone who has put a mastery bridge on this bad boy?

I know in the video at least he said he wanted them to come stock with a Mastery but Mastery wasnt set up for that sort of production scale....

dan_abnormal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dan_abnormal » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:45 pm

docleelau wrote:So has anyone tried or know someone who has put a mastery bridge on this bad boy?
I know in the video at least he said he wanted them to come stock with a Mastery but Mastery wasnt set up for that sort of production scale....
I have a Mastery bridge on my TVL.
It works like a charm.
Ladies and Gentlemen We're Floating In Space

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:11 pm

docleelau wrote:So has anyone tried or know someone who has put a mastery bridge on this bad boy?

Mastery went on mine within a week.

Best-playing JM I've ever had. Just stellar all-around, now.