Re: Offset's fronm the other side of the tracks :o

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Fall reverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Offsets from the other side of the tracks :o

Post by Fall reverb » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:15 am

Thanks for scanning & posting that pic, Orang Goreng - that was indeed the pic I was referring to... ;)
Since the guitar's headstock is not visible in the pic, it took me years to find out what guitar miss Doran was playing here, but thanks to the recent eBay-auction I finally managed to find out that it's actually a Framus from the early 70's...

Speaking of obscure guitars featuring 'wide range' humbuckers, here's the latest addition to my guitar collection, a 'Vorg by Pearl' Fender Thinline-copy (made in the late 70's or early 80's) that I snatched last week on eBay Germany (it should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday); this will actually be the first guitar I have ever owned that has a maple fretboard and humbuckers - all my other guitars feature rosewood fretboards & have single coil-pickups...

Image Image
Last edited by Fall reverb on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man's got to know his limitations"...

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:49 am

Fall reverb wrote: Thanks for scanning & posting that pic, Orang Goreng - that was indeed the pic I was referring to... ;)
Since the guitar's headstock is not visible in the pic, it took me years to find out what guitar miss Doran was playing here, but thanks to the recent eBay-auction I finally managed to find out that it's actually a Framus from the early 70's...

Speaking of obscure guitars featuring 'wide range' humbuckers - here's the latest addition to my guitar collection, a 'Vorg by Pearl' Fender Thinline-copy - made in the late 70's or early 80's - that I snatched last week on eBay Germany (it should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday) :

That looks really nice, was it made in the Ibanez factory?
It looks a lot like an  70s ibanez I saw at a music store a few years back, except that one was a brown stain/walnut kind of color (kinda wish I bought it actually...).
Of course every japanese company was making copies back than so it may just be coinicidence.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:07 am

Approx. 10 years ago I bought a live album by The Telescopes (anyone here remember them?) called 'Trade Mark Of Quality'; the back of this album shows a pic of Joanna Doran playing an obscure offset guitar that looks like a Jazzmaster, but her guitar featured pickups that resemble Fender's "Wide Range" humbucking pickups & also had a Bigsby-like vibrato - for years I tried to find out what guitar this might be, but only a few weeks ago I finally found out what guitar this was - courtesy of this German eBay-auction I discovered that Doran's cool offset was a Framus "5/355" which was probably made in the early 70's :
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... %3AIT&rd=1
I was just looking around in the Framus.de website to find info on a similar model we've been discussing in another thread (same body, but single coils and a Jag-like trem). I found a page that indicated the 355 is actually a $trat-type model ... and the offset w/Bigsby is the "Strato 6".

Scroll down to "Solid-Body-Guitars S-355 and Strato6":

http://www.framus.de/modules/frameset/f ... tID%3D2567

Also, if you click on the 'Framus Vintage' on the title bar choose 'Vintage Models' from the menu. There's a long list of model names and years, some with photos. There's also a key to decodeing serial numbers. Pretty cool!

8)
Last edited by fullerplast on Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

Fall reverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fall reverb » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:27 am

burker wrote: That looks really nice, was it made in the Ibanez factory?
It looks a lot like an  70s ibanez I saw at a music store a few years back, except that one was a brown stain/walnut kind of color (kinda wish I bought it actually...).
Of course every japanese company was making copies back than so it may just be coinicidence.
I unfortunately don't know (yet) where and by which manufacturer this guitar was actually made, burker...there's VERY little information that can be found on the web about this particular brand (and trust me, I have been spending quite a lot of time trying to find more info ;)), however from what I've been able to gather so far is that guitars featuring the 'Vorg by Pearl'-name might indeed have been made at the Matsumoku-plant, but I'm not sure yet.
There's a very cool & informative website which specifically deals with the plethora of Japanese guitars that were made in the 70's and 80's, however I also couldn't find any info there about Telecaster Thinline-copies that were sold under the 'Vorg by Pearl'-name, but I won't give up yet! ;)
http://www.matsumoku.org/guitars.html

Fall reverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fall reverb » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:39 am

fullerplast wrote: I was just looking around in the Framus.de website to find info on a similar model we've been discussing in another thread (same body, but single coils and a Jag-like trem). I found a page that indicated the 355 is actually a $trat-type model ... and the offset w/Bigsby is the "Strato 6".

Also, if you click on the 'Framus Vintage' on the title bar choose 'Vintage Models' from the menu. There's a long list of model names and years, some with photos. There's also a key to decodeing serial numbers. Pretty cool!
I did the same exercise yesterday fullerplast, but no luck - 'our' Framus does not seem to be listed there (yet), so we still don't know for sure what model-designation the guitar has...I have also been looking at recent auctions on eBay to see if the same model with a good description from a seller might have been sold recently, but alas....it might be worth a try to send a pic of this guitar to Framus' customer support to see if they can help here - I have seen on their website that Framus is currently busy setting up a museum which is dedicated to the instruments made by the company, so I presume they might have easy access to their archives now & could help out here...