AV65 JAGUAR CLUB. Show Your Baby, Tell Your Story. Pic Heavy

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Spitfire7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: AV65 JAGUAR CLUB. Show Your Baby, Tell Your Story. Pic Heavy

Post by Spitfire7 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:14 pm

raindog13 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:14 am
Just wanted to share my Soinc Blue '65. Not really a very interesting story; I bought it off of Reverb, and it came with the Spitfire pickguard and Creamery Jag-90's in it. Enjoy!

Awesome. Looking so good. Its cool to see what my Spitfire guards end up. Such a great combo of colors on there.
There's only one who makes the best vintage tortoise shell pickguards. Spitfire Tort.
http://spitfiretortoiseshellpickguards.wordpress.com/

raindog13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raindog13 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:45 am

Spitfire7 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:14 pm
raindog13 wrote:
Just wanted to share my Soinc Blue '65. Not really a very interesting story; I bought it off of Reverb, and it came with the Spitfire pickguard and Creamery Jag-90's in it. Enjoy!

Awesome. Looking so good. Its cool to see what my Spitfire guards end up. Such a great combo of colors on there.
You do great work, sir! It's a beautiful pickguard! To be totally honest, when I first bought the guitar, I had plans on changing it out for a mint green one, as that's what I've always wanted. But when it arrived, I realized that the pictures did it no justice at all. So now I guess I'm just going to have to get another Jag in sonic blue so I can have both! :D

Seriously though man, great work!

Spitfire7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Spitfire7 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:42 am

raindog13 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:45 am
Spitfire7 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:14 pm
raindog13 wrote:

You do great work, sir! It's a beautiful pickguard! To be totally honest, when I first bought the guitar, I had plans on changing it out for a mint green one, as that's what I've always wanted. But when it arrived, I realized that the pictures did it no justice at all. So now I guess I'm just going to have to get another Jag in sonic blue so I can have both! :D

Seriously though man, great work!
Awesome man, thanks for saying. That's a huge compliment and very encouraging.
There's only one who makes the best vintage tortoise shell pickguards. Spitfire Tort.
http://spitfiretortoiseshellpickguards.wordpress.com/

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:44 pm

First post, joined today, purchased a 65 avri today as well. Whoo! I was very encouraged by the comments here as well as the *incredible* sound and feel of the 2002 60s avri that I got a couple months ago.

I have big plans. It’s going to look like no other jag in the universe. But it won’t be done until probably December...

dren68
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dren68 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:21 am

Sorry if this has been discussed on the forum already, BUT, I happened to take the neck off my AV65 Jag today when I was changing strings, and there was a shim in the neck pocket. Did these not have the angled neck pocket? I thought I had read that somewhere, but was wondering if anyone knows for sure. I took it out just to see if it made a difference and it definitely does. I can't seem to set the action as low without getting string buzz. I have a couple of those Stewmac shims, so I might just put one of those on it. Also, something a little strange - it was above the bottom 2 neck screws. Seems like that wouldn't be the best place for it. Anyway, I was just curious about the neck pockets. Does anyone know?

raindog13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raindog13 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:44 am

dren68 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:21 am
Sorry if this has been discussed on the forum already, BUT, I happened to take the neck off my AV65 Jag today when I was changing strings, and there was a shim in the neck pocket. Did these not have the angled neck pocket? I thought I had read that somewhere, but was wondering if anyone knows for sure. I took it out just to see if it made a difference and it definitely does. I can't seem to set the action as low without getting string buzz. I have a couple of those Stewmac shims, so I might just put one of those on it. Also, something a little strange - it was above the bottom 2 neck screws. Seems like that wouldn't be the best place for it. Anyway, I was just curious about the neck pockets. Does anyone know?
The AC65's do not have an angled neck pocket. I believe the only ones that feature that are the Classic Players, but I could be wrong about that.

DavidG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DavidG » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:28 pm

I thought the AV65's had the angled neck pocket too. No experience to confirm this myself, seen it mentioned a few times on here though when they first came out.

I think the 50th anniversary jags and the johnny marr jags have this too.

dren68
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dren68 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:35 pm

DavidG wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:28 pm
I thought the AV65's had the angled neck pocket too. No experience to confirm this myself, seen it mentioned a few times on here though when they first came out.

I think the 50th anniversary jags and the johnny marr jags have this too.
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wish Fender could make information on details like this more accessible. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:57 pm

DavidG wrote:
I thought the AV65's had the angled neck pocket too.
Yes, they have an angled neck pocket. Mine (a '13 AV65) also came with a small shim in there (from the factory) anyway. I kept the shim in mine because the setup (action, intonation, etc) is perfect that way, but the bridge is really very high off the body.

In comparison my AVRI62 Jag does not have an angled neck pocket, it came with 2 large shims from the factory, and even with these the bridge sits pretty low near the body.

dren68
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dren68 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:06 pm

sunburster wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:57 pm
DavidG wrote:
Yes, they have an angled neck pocket. Mine (a '13 AV65) also came with a small shim in there (from the factory) anyway. I kept the shim in mine because the setup (action, intonation, etc) is perfect that way, but the bridge is really very high off the body.

In comparison my AVRI62 Jag does not have an angled neck pocket, it came with 2 large shims from the factory, and even with these the bridge sits pretty low near the body.
Yeah, the bridge on mine was pretty high, too. Was the shim in yours up over the bottom 2 neck screws? Also... I thought the main purpose of having the angled neck pocket is so you don't have to use shims. That's why I was kind of surprised when I saw it. It doesn't really make any sense if they still have to shim the neck. Why wouldn't they just make the neck pocket the exact angle it needs to be? Strange.

raindog13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raindog13 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:15 pm

I must be high then. I've had the neck off of mine a few times and I swear it has no angle. Or maybe they didn't do it on the FSR's? Hell if I know. I apologize for the wrong info, I was sure there was no angle.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:08 pm

dren68 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Yeah, the bridge on mine was pretty high, too. Was the shim in yours up over the bottom 2 neck screws? Also... I thought the main purpose of having the angled neck pocket is so you don't have to use shims. That's why I was kind of surprised when I saw it. It doesn't really make any sense if they still have to shim the neck. Why wouldn't they just make the neck pocket the exact angle it needs to be? Strange.
The shim on mine is above the two screws nearest the body. I can take the shim out of mine and it is fine, no problem setting it up that way, but I prefer the way it came out of the factory because I think they put the shim in there for a reason (it gives it a slightly better break angle). I am of the mindset of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Same reason I keep the stock bridge on there. ;)

It is also possible only the first year or two of these had a shim in there, perhaps put in by workers who were used to putting them into the AVRI62s and didn't know any better. Remember, in 2012, they were still making AVRI62s until the middle of the year, when those stopped and the AV65s began. It would be interesting to hear if those AV65 Jags after 2014 or so still had shims in the neck pocket. Mine was made in March 2013.

It is easy to see the angled neck pocket in the AV65s, just look at how the neck goes down on an angle from the body (from the side).

In contrast, I cannot take the shims out of my AVRI62 Jag. If I do, the action is too high even with the bridge flat against the body, and the neck does not look angled when looking from the side.

agiehler
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by agiehler » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:36 am

sunburster wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:57 pm
DavidG wrote:

So they are coming with an angled pocket AND a shim? That seems silly. :fp:

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:06 am

Well,
something very nice happened 2 weekends ago.
I was browsing the 'kleinanzeigen', Germany's ebay, searching for a Jaguar neck, when I came across this IBM AV '65.
I wasn't especially interested cause I have my CAR AV Jaguar, but than the original sales receipt drew my attention.
The guitar was sold at musicstore, Köln, 20 days or so after I went there 5 years ago and played an IBM Jaguar that I since regretted not buying at the time.
I reported about this guitar on page 3 of this thread.
And indeed, the look of that guitar (especially the rosewood as this is the only visual clue) corresponded with my memory of the instrument.
So I instantly went into a major GAS mode.
The seller agreed on my proposed price. There was a staytrem bridge as a bonus as well!
It took a week to get the guitar from Berlin to Hoegaarden, but it has arrived yesterday!
When I first picked the guitar out of its case I felt its weight and thought it was another instrument.
This Jaguar weighs 9 lb and I remembered the one I played as a light one.
I played it with the staytrem bridge that was on it and it sounded very nice, articulate, definitely louder and nicer than my CAR Jaguar.
Than I changed to the stock bridge, and all the sound I remembered was back!
Very open, transparent, a tad metallic, but harp-like.
Yes! It IS the same guitar! ;D
I've played 4 different AV Jaguars (many more AVRI's) and they all sounded differently.
This is the best pronounced Jaguar of them all. Perhaps not the one with the most character (I think the BMM partsjaguar I bought from 2Flaz is that one), but the one with the clearest, brightest sound.
This goes to show how memory deceives; I'm pretty sure it's the actual same guitar, but I forgot how the weight felt.
Anyway, this is my keeper! ;D (sadly the CAR will have to go...)

and the nice fretboard- it isn't even oiled

Oh yes, forgot to say this: there has been a Jaguar spitfire tort guard on kleinanzeigen last week.
I've been watching it for a few weeks, and when it went to 100 euro asking price I snatched it.
It will arrive tomorrow I think, so expect an update... ;)
the best to everyone!
Tom

aliendawg
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by aliendawg » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:53 am

My man.. CONGRATS!! What a nice guitar. IBM looks even more fantastic in the sunlight!!
"With the resurgence of offsets it seems like we're also seeing a resurgence of people who don't know what to do with them" - 601210