AV65 JAGUAR CLUB. Show Your Baby, Tell Your Story. Pic Heavy

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Spitfire7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: AV65 JAGUAR CLUB. Show Your Baby, Tell Your Story. Pic H

Post by Spitfire7 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:54 pm

Its been a little while, but I just upgraded my tortoiseshell pickguard and had to share it! I am finally 100% happy everything on it.

Please do continue to share your AV65's. This is a unique place where we can show off without feeling conceded, because we all understand the love that goes into these guitars. ;)
There's only one who makes the best vintage tortoise shell pickguards. Spitfire Tort.
http://spitfiretortoiseshellpickguards.wordpress.com/

MiHu
Expat
Expat

Post by MiHu » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:16 pm

otis wrote:So it arrived today.
This one didn't ring like the one I tested last weekend did, and didn't sound as warm as the sunburst I tried.
It was more of an intermediate of the two, but not in a good way...
The upper part of the body had paint worn off due to moving in it's case during transport.
There was also a spot were it had dark paint on the otherwise blue body.
So I contacted the company to take the guitar back in order to exchange it with another one.
The waiting is killing...
Hopefully I'll get a good one now.
Hi,
if you're reading this otis: how did that story end? I'm curious because I'm just about to pull the trigger on a AV 65 Jag...

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:00 pm

MiHu wrote:
otis wrote:So it arrived today.
This one didn't ring like the one I tested last weekend did, and didn't sound as warm as the sunburst I tried.
It was more of an intermediate of the two, but not in a good way...
The upper part of the body had paint worn off due to moving in it's case during transport.
There was also a spot were it had dark paint on the otherwise blue body.
So I contacted the company to take the guitar back in order to exchange it with another one.
The waiting is killing...
Hopefully I'll get a good one now.
Hi,
if you're reading this otis: how did that story end? I'm curious because I'm just about to pull the trigger on a AV 65 Jag...
I cancelled the order and bought a mint second hand custom shop Jaguar for 100 euro more.
It's a '62 reissue and I prefer necks without binding. The only thing to get adjusted to is the 9.5 radius, but it was easier than I thought.
It plays really well and I could test it first; it was only a 1,5 hour drive.
I could have gone with the '65 Jaguar as well, but didn't want to take the risk to order another one sight unseen.
Buying guitars online is a lottery; there are so many differences in sound within the same model.
This said, just pull this trigger and hope for the best, but be confident: all the '65 Jaguars I played were good instruments.
enjoy!

MiHu
Expat
Expat

Post by MiHu » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:50 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Thing is, there is an ice blue 65 B-Stock offered by music store right now. I asked and was told that the reason for the discount is, that it's a showroom guitar with minor signs of wear. I think it could be just the one you tried there! Unfortunately it's a little far away from where I live but it's offered for 1700.

How would you say the one you tried at music store compared to the custom shop one you ended up getting? (which looks great btw!)

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:37 pm

Those are beautiful guitars. I love the white neck binding on these (and the AVRI '65 Jazzmasters).

So snazzy!

I've become a Jaguar "convert" in recent months...something about all that chrome is so cool and sporty. I think of Jaguars as convertible '63 Corvettes.

Spitfire7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Spitfire7 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:15 pm

pscates wrote:Those are beautiful guitars. I love the white neck binding on these (and the AVRI '65 Jazzmasters).

So snazzy!

I've become a Jaguar "convert" in recent months...something about all that chrome is so cool and sporty. I think of Jaguars as convertible '63 Corvettes.
Right on! Good to have you. In my opinion, finest guitar I have ever owned and ever played.

Could they also be a 57 Chevy Belaire?

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
There's only one who makes the best vintage tortoise shell pickguards. Spitfire Tort.

otis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by otis » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:10 pm

MiHu wrote:Thanks for the reply!

Thing is, there is an ice blue 65 B-Stock offered by music store right now. I asked and was told that the reason for the discount is, that it's a showroom guitar with minor signs of wear. I think it could be just the one you tried there! Unfortunately it's a little far away from where I live but it's offered for 1700.

How would you say the one you tried at music store compared to the custom shop one you ended up getting? (which looks great btw!)
I was at music store Köln roughly a year ago.
They didn't have any showroon AV'65's at the time, so I had to test both the Jaguars in their 'custom shop-bar'.
They were still unplaid. Possibly they kept the blue one as a showroom model, I dunno...
The blue one was very light and sharp sounding; not bad at all, actually.
The difference with the '62 custom shop is especially in the specs. Quality-wise it's arbitrary to make a distinction between them.
The one I ended up with is just a very good guitar.
Could have bought the blue one as well but I couldn't decide at the time.
succes!

MiHu
Expat
Expat

Post by MiHu » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:28 pm

otis wrote: I was at music store Köln roughly a year ago.
They didn't have any showroon AV'65's at the time, so I had to test both the Jaguars in their 'custom shop-bar'.
They were still unplaid. Possibly they kept the blue one as a showroom model, I dunno...
The blue one was very light and sharp sounding; not bad at all, actually.
The difference with the '62 custom shop is especially in the specs. Quality-wise it's arbitrary to make a distinction between them.
The one I ended up with is just a very good guitar.
Could have bought the blue one as well but I couldn't decide at the time.
succes!
Thanks again for sharing the info and your experiences! I'll see what I will end up doing...
Great that it turned out good for you!

daCod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daCod » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:06 am

my FSR sonic blue is the shizz. unfortunately this winter has led to fret issues. board/neck shrinkage so now the ends protrude from the binding enough to make it unplayable for lengths of time. a quick pick up & strum, it's all good. fingers crossed next week it visits the luthier for a dressing.

before the fret issues it's been one of the best playing jaguar i've ever had my hands on. weight it just right. heavier than some, lighter than others. well balanced. neck is just the right amount of chunky thin. board is a nice shade of dark. the 65 p/ups are superb. matte neck had me concerned at first but now i'm in love. wouldn't have it any other way. and the finish feels like an old finish. that flash coat business they do. some complain about it being super fragile and what not. well yeah sure it's thin so bumps will be bumps and nicks will be nicks. honest playwear is honest. if you play your guitar it's going to show it. not one of my guitars is a case or wall queen. they're out and used on an almost daily basis. that's what i bought them for. TO USE AND gently ABUSE!

the only changes i've made to mine (so far) has been the guard - went mint - and the bridge which was swapped for a j.marr jag bridge. still works with the mute which makes me a happy man. considering swapping vol and tone pots to 500k. not 110% sold on the 1meg. but i'm in no hurry so time will tell...

one day i'll own an og jag. a beat to f*ck player that refuses retirement... charcoal frost ideally... or c-a red... or lake pla........ well the list could go on and on. this purchase definitely pushed that day back and i'm perfectly fine with that.

now, da p0rn...

fresh from the geetar shop and after some skirted-knob foolery...

before mint guard marr bridge...

and after...

lastly, with its offset brethren...
your paranoia must be weapons-grade.
“I have terrible hearing trouble. I have unwittingly helped to invent and refine a type of music that makes its principal proponents deaf.” ~ PT

Spitfire7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Spitfire7 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:39 pm

Wow, what a difference it made with that mint guard. Love it! Now on your other jag lets get some Spitfire on that thing. Bright red maybe? :whistle:

BBRRTT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BBRRTT » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:24 pm

daCod wrote:the only changes i've made to mine (so far) has been the guard - went mint - and the bridge which was swapped for a j.marr jag bridge. still works with the mute which makes me a happy man. considering swapping vol and tone pots to 500k. not 110% sold on the 1meg. but i'm in no hurry so time will tell...
Out of curiosity, fellow sonic blue AV65 Jag guy, does the bridge cover fit on your Staytrem bridge? I think it's supposed to but mine doesn't. Not that it's a huge deal really.

daCod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daCod » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:11 pm

BBRRTT wrote:
daCod wrote:the only changes i've made to mine (so far) has been the guard - went mint - and the bridge which was swapped for a j.marr jag bridge. still works with the mute which makes me a happy man. considering swapping vol and tone pots to 500k. not 110% sold on the 1meg. but i'm in no hurry so time will tell...
Out of curiosity, fellow sonic blue AV65 Jag guy, does the bridge cover fit on your Staytrem bridge? I think it's supposed to but mine doesn't. Not that it's a huge deal really.
the factory marr bridge is not 110% staytrem. i think somewhere i read it's staytrem inspired. mustang saddles w/correct jag board radius and the plastic sleeves on the height adj screws to hold them in place. that being said i THINK the cover fits but have honestly never tried it. will have a go when i get home and report back.

spitfire guard would be ace, believe you me! one day most definitely. that thing is a work in progress. my test mule. my ok-to-f*ck-with jaguar if you will. nothing's been permanently altered/changed so far but who knows what will happen. might end up scrapping the epiphone olympic inspired build (current status and nearly complete) and make it a jaguared jazzmaster. or a marauder bastard of sorts. my mind is constantly racing from idea to idea and i'm always doing my best to keep up and make sure i write that shit down.
your paranoia must be weapons-grade.
“I have terrible hearing trouble. I have unwittingly helped to invent and refine a type of music that makes its principal proponents deaf.” ~ PT

BBRRTT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BBRRTT » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:37 pm

daCod wrote:the factory marr bridge is not 110% staytrem. i think somewhere i read it's staytrem inspired. mustang saddles w/correct jag board radius and the plastic sleeves on the height adj screws to hold them in place. that being said i THINK the cover fits but have honestly never tried it. will have a go when i get home and report back.
Ah cool, sorry - it seems like some use say Staytrem/Marr interchangeably. Figured it was probably more likely to be a Staytrem since they're readily available on their own :)

theswede
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theswede » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:51 am

IBM 65AV w/black guard and Mastery bridge.

Love this thing to pieces. Got it around black friday from sweetwater when they were blowing them out for $1299 new. Lots of ooh's and aahs from band mates. Sounds fantastic too. Just broke my wrist yesterday, so it will be sitting lonely for the next two months or so, which is a real bummer... Still amazed i was able to snag one of these for the price, as i'm not sure there is a more attractive color combo with the matching headstock/binding then this.

A total keeper.

MiHu
Expat
Expat

Post by MiHu » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:29 pm

Absolutely stunning!!! I have one in IBM on the way, too...

Edit: I hope your wrist recovers quickly!