Fender to reissue the Starcaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
PaulDesmondTutu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender to reissue the Starcaster

Post by PaulDesmondTutu » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:23 pm

michaeltullo wrote:oh yea, i bet you're right... my mistake. sorry everyone, false alarm
The posting of cool guitars is no crime in my book...
"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…"

shinealight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shinealight » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:21 am

spindizzy wrote:
JazzBlaster wrote:I played one today at my local shop, great guitar especially for the cost!
Problem in Australia is that they want A$1400 (US$1300) for them which is frankly ridiculous for a bad chinese reproduction.

They're really not worth that kind of money, it's the same price as a new MIJ Jazzmaster which is far better built and finished.
agreed. not a bad guitar by any stretch but way, way overpriced. I was thinking they'd at least try and price match it with the Epiphones, which (street price) all come in under a grand.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:18 pm

I was looking at the Bilt Volare, which is their take on the Starcaster, & it has a Jazzmaster trem on it & also appears to have a curved top. Does this mean that it will actually be possible to do this to one of the Starcaster reissues? I know this has been discussed to death on here & the general consensus seems to be "no" but after looking at the Bilt Volare I am beginning to wonder...
We are merely moving shadows.

zastruga
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zastruga » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:41 am

rank wrote:I was looking at the Bilt Volare, which is their take on the Starcaster, & it has a Jazzmaster trem on it & also appears to have a curved top. Does this mean that it will actually be possible to do this to one of the Starcaster reissues? I know this has been discussed to death on here & the general consensus seems to be "no" but after looking at the Bilt Volare I am beginning to wonder...
There was a NGD thread recently that showed one of these being built:

The trem is actually inset into the body. I have no idea if that would be doable on a Starcaster RI, but it sounds really difficult, if not impossible (especially if you don't want to refin). I'm no guitar scientist though, so maybe someone else can weigh in?

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:28 pm

zastruga wrote:There was a NGD thread recently that showed one of these being built:

I searched but couldn't find the NGD post. Any idea who made that & where I might get one?
We are merely moving shadows.

zastruga
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zastruga » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:45 pm

rank wrote:
zastruga wrote:There was a NGD thread recently that showed one of these being built:

I searched but couldn't find the NGD post. Any idea who made that & where I might get one?
Sorry, I should have been more clear. That's a Bilt Volare being built, not a Starcaster body. I was just trying to show how Bilt manages to get the trem on a curved top body. Would be great if someone could figure out how to do this on the Starcaster bodies!

Here's the original thread: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =6&t=85602

spindizzy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spindizzy » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:42 pm

furtherpale wrote:was it the black one at Cranbourne Music in the city?
Finally saw this: yes, it was. Very uninspiring.

The bass was at the bass centre though, really nice to play acoustically, strangely guitar-like for a bass.

furtherpale
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by furtherpale » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:02 am

spindizzy wrote:
furtherpale wrote:was it the black one at Cranbourne Music in the city?
Finally saw this: yes, it was. Very uninspiring.

The bass was at the bass centre though, really nice to play acoustically, strangely guitar-like for a bass.
yup... i've not seen another one now the only thing you can get in melb is a gibson... i want a GOOD one
Sorry - I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

Telenator
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Telenator » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:44 am

zastruga wrote:
rank wrote:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. That's a Bilt Volare being built, not a Starcaster body. I was just trying to show how Bilt manages to get the trem on a curved top body. Would be great if someone could figure out how to do this on the Starcaster bodies!

Here's the original thread: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... =6&t=85602

That is fucking gorgeous!
If you're bored, you're not groovin' - Telenator®

micaiah
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by micaiah » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:56 pm

so seeing as these have been out for more or less over 2 years now, how are they holding up because i may end up getting one?
Excelsior amp love it a shit load more versatile then given credit for fender strat, squier standard tele don't hate, it has the tone I've been chasing since I modded it with my secret I won't reveal unless you REALLY wanna know and a blacktop Jazzmaster

spilltray
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spilltray » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:05 am

micaiah wrote:so seeing as these have been out for more or less over 2 years now, how are they holding up because i may end up getting one?
I'm still absolutely in love with mine.

micaiah
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by micaiah » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:08 am

how is the QC are they at least at or above MIM level? that will be the determining factor for me
Excelsior amp love it a shit load more versatile then given credit for fender strat, squier standard tele don't hate, it has the tone I've been chasing since I modded it with my secret I won't reveal unless you REALLY wanna know and a blacktop Jazzmaster

theswede
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theswede » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:02 am

I've had mine quite a while now, and I still love it quite a bit. Replaced the TOM with a wilkenson roller, added a Bigbsy.

The fit/finish on mine was flawless. Doesn't feel cheap and I have yet to find a flaw. I actually think the stock pick ups are quite good, if not at all WRHB's. They are rather pleasant sounding standard HB's. Still real nice.

I think these are real sleepers... If I lost mine, I would certainly get another.

spilltray
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spilltray » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:24 am

Fit and finish is really good. I'd say in the ballpark of MIM Fenders. One of my tone pots has a little bit of scratch to it and the pickup switch occasionally gets touchy, but neither are bad, just not perfect. The grain of the wood is very nice as well. A couple of people have been surprised to see it's MIC when they've checked mine out.

I have only played 1 guitar with "real" WRHBs and that was some time ago, so I can't comment on that, but it does definitely sound more "Fender-y" than my friend's -335.

For me, the neck is just great. It's a little bit chunky without being too fat.

micaiah
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by micaiah » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:59 pm

for those that have owned and or played the Originals how do the RI's compare because i may sell my tele for one...???