Classic Player Jazzmaster any issues?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
HorseyBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Classic Player Jazzmaster any issues?

Post by HorseyBoy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:54 pm

laurencestutz wrote:Hey guys what an amazing forum and wealth of ideas..i had no idea i'd get this depth of feedback.Just to clarify do fender no longer make a standard usa jazzmaster i.e the AVRI models are the USA jazzmaster?
Also what are anybodys thoughts on using a buzzstop and mustang bridge on an AVRI model?

thanks for all your input!
Love this thread, too, and the wealth of knowledge (and love for offsets!) displayed. I went from a Squier Mascis Jazzmaster, which has similar mods to the classic player, to an American Vintage 65, and even though I had to sell a kidney to get it, I couldn't be happier. The Vintage 65 is just a stunning guitar, and it does have a very different feel overall - from the pickups to the tremolo to the tonal qualities - to the Mascis JM.
I did change the bridge on the 65 (although I now feel slightly ashamed for doing so). I went for the Staytrem bridge, which is essentially an upgraded Mustang bridge designed for the Johnny Marr jag. I wanted it mainly for the 52mm string spacing, which I'm used to on all my other guitars. It's a great option for all AVRI and Japanese JMs.

FPicker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FPicker » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:01 am

laurencestutz wrote: .. neck has vintage frets and a 7.25 radius ( i believe! ) and so i'm thinking this is kinda what i like ..which i know the AVRI is.I'm a rhythm player really..and so was a bit worried that i might notice this different neck .
I think most primary-rhythm players would prefer the vintage spec guitars. It is less tiring on the fingers to play barre chords for long periods on the vintage spec neck. And you won''t feel the frets hitting the bottom of your hand so much when you switch chords. The primary advantages of the flatter radius and the bigger frets come when playing lead.
So in your situation I would not get a CP unless I had played it first.
laurencestutz wrote: Also a big attraction for me is getting a guitar with a trem..so i can do some atmospheric stuff..and don't want to pick up a CP for that reason if it ain't great...
I have a CP Jaguar and I use the trem on it, it works fine. I can't compare it to the vintage spec guitars though because I don't have them. (And don't have a Jazzmaster). Well actually I do have a vintage Fender guitar but it doesn't have trem.

As to some other stuff that has been posted here:
The AVRI collet is NOT an "upgrade", on my CP anyway for sure. How do I know? I had an AVRI trem unit on my CP originally, they made it that way. I guess they were out of CP trem units at the time they built it, so they put in AVRIs. I got so frustrated with the arm just dangling there that I had the AVRI trem unit removed, and replaced with the correct CP trem unit. I perceived no diffence in function between the two on my guitar, and the Fender rep I talked to first said there shouldn't be. However with the threaded CP arm I could put a strat trem spring underneath it, hence that arm stays where I put it. Unlike the AVRI arm. To me, the CP trem is superior for that reason, and identical otherwise. No stay-trem needed , for a CP owner.

I agree that the CPs and the vintage spec guitars are essentially different guitars in many respects, but in similar looking bodies and switching schemes. That does not mean that the features of the CP that a particular vintage-spec afficionado doesn't prefer are "issues" . They may be issues for him. Whereas other players would prefer them. For example, there are a lot more players in this world who choose tune-a-matic-equipped guitars than choose vintage-spec jazzmaster bridges, so evidently a lot of people don't find that feature to be an "issue". Jazzmaster preferrers are in the minority. And have always been, save for but a few early years, that's why these guitars failed initially. Keep that in mind. Your vaunted "deliberate design" of Leo Fender, that is so sacrosanct that it can't be changed, was a big flop.

In my case, I was looking for a 24" scale length guitar with flatter radius and bigger frets than vintage spec, that's how I wound up with my CP Jaguar. The bridge did not enter into my search, but I am happy not to have to deal with all the bridge problems vintage spec players seem to wallow in. I never even think about the bridge. And I like the way my guitar sounds and plays, as it is. I wouldn't have liked the vintage spec guitars better, at the time, because those guitars do not have the neck specs I wanted.

That does not mean my guitar was perfect out of the box, I did have a proper set-up done (hence no buzzing issues), and changed some other stuff. Many of the AVRI guys change stuff too. Seemingly most of them change the bridge, and some put on buzzstops. I didn't need to do those things. I chose to change pickups, but I didn't really play it with the original ones first. And these are not Jazzmaster pickups anyway. The tech who set up my guitar said he sees exactly the same set-up issues on AVRI guitars, by the way.

To me, if I wanted a long scale guitar with a flatter radius and bigger frets than vintage spec, I would consider a CP Jazzmaster. Otherwise I wouldn't. And if I wanted a long scale guitar with vintage spec neck, I doubt I'd wind up with any Jazzmaster. They've never floated my boat in the stores. I'd probably wind up getting a Strat. A lot more players prefer Strats to Jazzmasters, maybe some of you don't realize that. Earth to Offset forum, most players don't find the vintage spec Jazzmaster design to be "perfect", or preferred. And they never did, basically.
Last edited by FPicker on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:25 am

I think for a lot of us the only hands on experience we will have with a Jazzmaster is going to be with a CP or SQVMJM/JMJM. I know that in stores here it was always rare to see an AVRI hanging on the wall - I was lucky enough to pick up a '65 AV in a store here, but this was only the second one they'd ordered/sold in four months, so they were not planning to order in another. There's currently a CAR '65 AV Jag sitting in another store ... it's been there for a while and I can't see the store ordering another (they didn't restock the Marr that I bought from them either).

What you will see come and go with regularity are CPs and lots of Squirers. It's tough as a prospective buyer, depending on where you are (and I'm mainly talking to those not based in the US) to get to try out an AVRI/AV or other vintage spec before buying ... for a lot of us in Europe our options are to go via an on-line seller or to order through a store (and most don't allow a 'try before you buy' approach - as they'll look for a desposit up front before ordering in for you).

All of that said, I've yet to find anyone who hated an AVRI (be it Tele, JM, Jag - whatever). These are well made instruments (the odds that you'll order one and it will be a lemon are pretty slim I'd say) and though they're made to vintage spec, consider that there are plenty of musicians out there who love these guitars and make some incredible music with them.

My advice (for what it's worth) - if you can get your hands on a CP and if you like it, pull the trigger and go with it. I was trying to decide last year on whether or not to buy an older Gibson 355 (most money I'd ever spent on a guitar) and the best advice I received from anyone came from guys on here - which was that if you like it and connect with it, forget all the 'objective' assessments of everyone else and go with your gut. I'm eternally grateful to the folks on here who convinced me to go with that Gibson (now and forever my #1 guitar). But - if you do try a CP and don't get on with it, try to lurk around your local craigslist/ebay for a while to see if an AVRI comes up for sale at a realistic price - then give it a try.

Jazzmasters are awesome; they just need tort...

laurencestutz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by laurencestutz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:13 pm

i have to say ...after playing a classic player i was really disappointed and i mean REALLY.
i ended up going for A CIJ 62 resissue jazzmaster 2nd hand ...the classic player just felt cheap ..really plasticy..
certainly if anyone was in the same position i would totally recommend going for a 2nd CIJ/MIJ anyday

and so many more sexy colour schemes :P

jagajaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jagajaguar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:50 pm

laurencestutz wrote:i have to say ...after playing a classic player i was really disappointed and i mean REALLY.
i ended up going for A CIJ 62 resissue jazzmaster 2nd hand ...the classic player just felt cheap ..really plasticy..
certainly if anyone was in the same position i would totally recommend going for a 2nd CIJ/MIJ anyday

and so many more sexy colour schemes
The CIJ JM body ( poly finishes ) feel no different to any CP JM or jag lol. The necks are the difference. Your minds playing tricks on you sir.
Last edited by jagajaguar on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/highatlas

Excelente deals with: jimboyogi, Telliot, HNB, TeaLifeTeaMind, dinosaurkale, Gonkulator, Unicorn Warrior, blake480, DesmondWafers, Jonesie

39Steve
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by 39Steve » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:36 pm

I've played a few CPs in stores and they just sound a little different than my AVRI..a bit darker or something and don't "ring" as much. Having had early '60s JMs and now a '62 AVRI, I guess I much prefer the vintage neck and frets etc. I think the CPs are a nice guitar though.

jmoss5347
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jmoss5347 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:07 am

This thread is incredibly informative and helpful, i was briefly considering the classic player so im glad to stumble upon all of this

ctu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ctu » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:28 am

This really is one of the most informative threads on CP/AVRI I've come across. So, I have a couple of questions - what is the difference then between bridge/tremolo positions on different Jags, namely AVRI and CP/50th Anniversary Edition? Both CP and 50th Anniversary have the tremolo moved closer than AVRI, so is there some significant difference there, considering it's a short scale?

Also, I didn't manage to get a clear idea regarding the wood or at least quality of the wood itself on different models - is the alder in CP the same 'quality' as alder in AVRI? Is it the 'same' wood at all? Is there any difference in treatment, selection or processing? I do understand that major differences are in design, mechanics, electronics and finish, but most of those things could be changed/upgraded, unlike body/neck. I would really love if somebody could shed some light on this...

My dilemma is this - I'm looking for USA Jaguar, and should decide between 50th Anniversary and AVRI. I can't try any of the two before going abroad to the store where I'll make the purchase, but before trying (in detail) both guitars, I wanna have some idea of what I should be focusing on, apart from which guitar suits me best. I plan to spend some time deciding, but nevertheless I won't be able to sleep on it and I'll have to make a decision in a couple of hours, on the spot.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:48 am

The best non-american JM is the Squier J. Mascis IMHO. If I didn't have the cash for a AV and still wanted a JM, I would go for a J Mascis. Really really great guitar for the money. The pickups are not traditionnal JM pickups (more like P-90), but the CP (hot outpout) and CIJ (strat pickups in JM pickups cover) pickups are not traditionnal either.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

Kylef
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kylef » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:11 am

I have one. I only have a CIJ Jaguar to compare it to, so can't really comment, but I do notice the neck radius. I think I'd prefer a 7.5 radius, but it doesn't bother me. Actually thinking about selling it to fund a Marr Jag as it just doesn't get enough playing time. When I do play it though I like it.

soul1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soul1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:29 pm

Had both a CIJ and a CP Jazzmaster, got rid of the CIJ, much happier with the CP. But I prefer a modern radius and medium jumbo frets, YMMV.

OSG Kiwi
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by OSG Kiwi » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:00 am

I LOVE my CP Jazzmaster.

Had a CIJ and HATED it. Played a friends custom built and relic'd Jazzmaster (100% vintage specs) and was okay but not as nice to play as the CP. He even admitted the CP was a fantastic guitar and had he played it before he ordered all his parts for his vintage JM he would have thought long and hard......being a vintage guy he still would have gone for his one but it is a very strong admission/endorsment coming from him.

Also have a Turquiose blue (with matching headstock) AVRI Thin Skin Jag from wildwood.....I play the CP Jazzmaster a lot more. Much nicer to play overall.

Elixxrx66
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Elixxrx66 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:32 pm

The 3 things jazzmaster purists do not like about the guitar are the pickups, the TOM bridge and the fact that vibrato is moved closer to the bridge. My thoughts on each of these complaints are as follows.

1. I totally agree about the hotter output pickups. I didn’t care for them either. I would say they are too bright to sound like P90s but they don’t sound like good “fender” pickups. That is why I replaced mine with a set of Vintage ‘65s.

2. As for the TOM bridge I honestly find that to be a plus. For me personally since I’ve only ever owned guitars with TOM bridges that’s what I know. Besides if it’s good enough for J. Mascis then it’s good enough for me (actually swapped TOM bridge out for a roller bridge and if helped tremendously w/keeping it in tune while using vibrato bar)

3. As far as them moving the vibrato bar closer to bridge goes I’ve read and heard just as many people complain about that vibrato’s distance being a problem on American models as well as tuning instability, sustain etc than I’ve heard praises for it being like that. A guitar player saying they don’t care about sustain is like a race car driver saying he doesn’t care how fast his car goes.

All I’m asking to those who feel that the jazzmaster is perfect the way it was originally designed why is there a need for a Mastery Bridge and a Stay-Trem? On thread after thread I read about people complaining about the jazzmaster bridges and vibratos and time and time again the answer is to spend another $300 on top of the $2k they have already spent to make the guitar playable. Seems rather strange to me. With the exception of the 1st one I really don’t see why jazzmaster purists have such a problem with the second two. Also to the guy who says the CP jazzmasters have buzzing at the bridge I have never encountered that problem with mine.

hwestman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hwestman » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:20 pm

I have a CP Jag that I find way nicer than the MIJ I used to own.

The only issue was the bridge buzzing/rattling.

Swapped it for a Halon modified to sit on the adjusomatic posts.

Now it feels and sounds great!