Thoughts On Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster SPECIAL

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
fender-o-phile
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Thoughts On Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster SPECIAL

Post by fender-o-phile » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:49 pm

Hey guys, just looking for opinions/info on the squier VM jazzmaster SPECIAL, like this one:
I searched the forum a bit and didn't find much on these. Is the bizarre little bridge piece a help or a nuisance? Personally, I like no rythm circuit or rollers to mess with. Does anyone play one of these? Hated one enough to get rid of it? Share your thoughts!
Nimble Guitars - repairs, mods, setups, refins. Instagram: nimbleguitars

veryredtomatoes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thoughts On Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster SPECIAL

Post by veryredtomatoes » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:03 pm

The bridge is very weird.

I played one at GC a couple months ago, and came away going, yuck. YMMV.
Today is a good day to die.

Rox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rox » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:59 pm

I personally like it. I don't consider it a Jazzmaster though. More like a Jagmaster Special.
I've bounced the idea of getting one since everyone wants a VMJM nowadays so they're cheap and installing a Mustang tremolo.
For a Squier the pickups are really good.

substratus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by substratus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:43 pm

My only offset so far is one of those. It is even two color sunburst like the one in the picture.

I understand that a lot of people won't like it because it doesn't have a traditional jazzmaster tremolo, I don't mind because I would rarely use it anyway. I also like that it has independent volume and tone for both pickups. The bridge is odd, but I haven't had it long enough to say how the bridge performs.

sjperry54
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sjperry54 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:13 pm

For the most part, I like mine. I love the neck. It's the best feeling of all the guitars I have now. This is usually the first guitar I pick up when I want to work out a new idea or to just noodle around. The parts I don't like are the concentric knobs and that bridge. I pulled the knobs and replaced them with single, 250K volume and tone. I'm going to pull that bridge (when I'm done procrastinating) and make it a string through with a chopped Tele bridge and 3 brass saddles.

fender-o-phile
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fender-o-phile » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:58 am

Thanks for the input guys. I've seen one of these on the cheap, and I'm considering picking it up. I just wanted to know if it was worth it as a low end guitar and a potential modding guitar. If the pickups are good, I can get along with the weird bridge (for awhile at least). I'd hate to pick it up and then want to replace everything just to make it playable.

-Anti-
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by -Anti- » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:06 am

They aren't horrible. If you're not looking for a trem, they're perfectly fine. I have a Jaguar version for a humbucker guitar. The bridge is bizarre, but works. I had it routed for a traditional trem, and have the strings running through the bridge, which allows some to be hardtailed, while keeping the trem. Currently all are in the trem, but that might change.

It also functions as a built in buzz stop if you keep it screwed down.

They're pretty fun, non-traditional offsets in my opinion.

loveinathens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loveinathens » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:09 am

I suddenly want the Fiesta Jag. :(

substratus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by substratus » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:15 am

The pickups sound really nice, that is one of the reasons I got the guitar.

My main concern for the bridge is how it will fair durability-wise long term.

I saw a thread about modding the bridge in the Mods & Projects forum here. I does mention one particular problem with modding the bridge. Here it is.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... quier+VMJM

I think it looks too weird with both the JM tremolo and the strat input jack. I like the looks of normal JMs or Jags, and the VM specials hardtails with the strat jack, but put them together and it is just ugg.

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:02 pm

I seem to remember people thought they were really good guitars for the buck, and surely they're even cheaper now. Guessing the bridge is what most people get hung up on. Not that it isn't a tremolo but more like, the bridge being what it is. If you're still putting on a Mustang tremolo though, that shouldn't matter.
Necks, pickups, body wood and so on got good reviews in a swedish music magazine I frequently read.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

ilikeguitar90
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ilikeguitar90 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:25 pm

Anyone else notice it has a rosewood neck? AFAIK Squier VM Jazzmasters like this one don't come stock with rosewood necks, only the newer 2012 ones with tremolos do. Weird, but I like this particular Jazzmaster that OP posted way more than the normal stock ones with maple necks. The guitar kind of has a flaming lips vibe to it.

SSquirrel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SSquirrel » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:01 pm

I've considered that guitar just for the butterscotch blonde. Kinda feels like a Tele Deluxe/Custom that way.

fender-o-phile
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fender-o-phile » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:35 pm

ilikeguitar90 wrote:Anyone else notice it has a rosewood neck? AFAIK Squier VM Jazzmasters like this one don't come stock with rosewood necks, only the newer 2012 ones with tremolos do. Weird, but I like this particular Jazzmaster that OP posted way more than the normal stock ones with maple necks. The guitar kind of has a flaming lips vibe to it.
I did notice that. This is the particular one for sale near me. It makes it an interesting guitar...

wadeaminute
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wadeaminute » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:20 pm

I have the Squier Vintage Modified Fiesta Red Jaguar. The plan was to get it and mod it to have a Tele bridge plate and one pickup - so a Jaguar / Esquire. When I got it home and played it, it was so good the way it comes stock that I left it that way. The Duncan Designed humbuckers are super good. And the guitar sustains for days - similar to my 1976 Les Paul Custom. The bridge works just fine. I decided to leave the poor thing alone.

I remember when they were released that it was very close to my dream Squier - a 24" scale Fiesta Red hard-tailed guitar with humbuckers. It felt like they were reading my mind. I would buy another if they released one in Daphne Blue. They do have different colours in Japan.

In short - I wouldn't flinch because of that bridge - nor the Strat Jack.

AMILCAR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AMILCAR » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:18 am

i just picked one up ,just like the one in the photo ,like all VM Squiers ,i think they are amazing for the money,non a trace of cheapness ,even the pickguard seems to be high quality plastic , ...
what i like about them ,is the classic ,undrestated look ,very 50ties fender thing going on ,the maple neck and non tremolo bring them closer to a tele to me , even if they still sound a lot like a jazzmaster ...the neck ,aside from personal tastes /needs coulnd´t be better ,and the duncan pu´s incredibles ...(a $300 guitar ) ...
i also got a relief of playing offsets trems and bigsbys and constantly tweaking and tuning them ... the sound is kinda stronger too ,different ...
perhaps the only thing i didn´t like are the concentric knobs ,i plan to change them soon ...
the bridge have no problem whatsoever ...
i´d say go for it !