Mid-2012 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster Jaguar Mustang

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
George L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mid-2012 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster Jaguar Musta

Post by George L » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:41 pm

thanks joeybsyc
I admire your work
But I prefer plain headtocks
Last edited by George L on Thu May 31, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:04 am

Joey did 2 headstocks for me and I love them but is it weird that I now wish I would have tried to get him to use "Squier" decals instead of the "Fender" ones? :D :D :D :D :D

SERIOUSLY though, it's starting to bother me a little and I don't even know why - maybe like I'm lying or something but that's stupid, I dunno. Have you done any with just Squier logos instead dude? I'd like to see if so!

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:06 am

Also yeah that tort looks so good! and unless it's just your crafty photos, that looks way cooler than the fender tort i've seen. the fender stuff is like, brown/maroon and white, where it would be totally fine and look great if they could get the red to be a little lighter and the white to be yellow.

i don't know how they make the stuff though so that might sound dumb, i dunno.

George L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by George L » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:25 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:Joey did 2 headstocks for me and I love them but is it weird that I now wish I would have tried to get him to use "Squier" decals instead of the "Fender" ones?

SERIOUSLY though, it's starting to bother me a little and I don't even know why - maybe like I'm lying or something but that's stupid, I dunno. Have you done any with just Squier logos instead dude? I'd like to see if so!
Mate we mod our guitars for ouselves and a vintage fender logo on a nitro finished headstock is just beautiful.
of course selling fake fender necks or parts and try to pass them off as genuine is unethical and disgusting

the photos are almost original (i just added some contrast)
my camera is crap though and i have Fluorescent lamp in my pottery workshop
you can check the pg here http://www.customworldguitarparts.com/d ... ender.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I had to sand it to fit

joeybsyc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by joeybsyc » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:11 pm

George L wrote:thanks joeybsyc
I admire your work
But I prefer plain headtocks
Imageheadstock2 by GEORGE LEMONS, on Flickr[/img]

No worries! Different strokes for different folks right? On Strats and Teles I love plain headstocks myself.. But on the "custom color" offsets I think the matching head is a must.. which is why I originally had the paint mixed to match. After doing a few for myself, others started asking if I'd do theirs for them, and well... I've been busy ever since.
Check out my little collection at http://vintagefenders.weebly.com

Redseele
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Redseele » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:59 pm

Quick question: I'm thinking about getting a Vintage Modified Mustang, mainly to mod... so I was wondering if anyone has ever tried putting a Fender (American or Japanese) neck on one of these VM bodies. I've never done this myself (I only have a Mascis Jazzmaster that I love, so I would never think about switching the neck), so I was wondering if it is possible at all.

Thank you all for any helpful information provided :)
My photo-ethnography project:

Culture: The Unintended Consequences of Looking Sideways
http://culturelookingsideways.com

And my simpler (and more updated) Tumblr:
http://culturelookingsideways.tumblr.com

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:24 am

Redseele wrote:Quick question: I'm thinking about getting a Vintage Modified Mustang, mainly to mod... so I was wondering if anyone has ever tried putting a Fender (American or Japanese) neck on one of these VM bodies. I've never done this myself (I only have a Mascis Jazzmaster that I love, so I would never think about switching the neck), so I was wondering if it is possible at all.

Thank you all for any helpful information provided
I have put a CIJ Jag neck on a Squier VM body. I had to route the neck pocket slightly wider (half a millimeter).

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:08 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:Joey did 2 headstocks for me and I love them but is it weird that I now wish I would have tried to get him to use "Squier" decals instead of the "Fender" ones?

i had squier decals made for my squier vi.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Redseele
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Redseele » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:23 am

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Redseele wrote:Quick question: I'm thinking about getting a Vintage Modified Mustang, mainly to mod... so I was wondering if anyone has ever tried putting a Fender (American or Japanese) neck on one of these VM bodies. I've never done this myself (I only have a Mascis Jazzmaster that I love, so I would never think about switching the neck), so I was wondering if it is possible at all.

I have put a CIJ Jag neck on a Squier VM body. I had to route the neck pocket slightly wider (half a millimeter).
How do you do that???
My photo-ethnography project:

Culture: The Unintended Consequences of Looking Sideways
http://culturelookingsideways.com

And my simpler (and more updated) Tumblr:
http://culturelookingsideways.tumblr.com

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:37 pm

jakeisjake wrote:

i had squier decals made for my squier vi.
Mind posting some pics? The decals I bought from a boarder here did not in any way pan out and so I'm thinking about just buying a new one for my VI - either Squier or Fender. I'd love to see what you've done!

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:38 pm

quick question, do switchcraft PGs fit squier VM, in-particular jazzmaster? thx.
If OSG has tort me anything...

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:30 am

So, I've picked up a 2nd hand VM Jag ( picture here: https://www.instagram.com/seasstarry/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I can't direct link as I am at work) and overall I am happy with it for the price I paid (£200).

One of the previous owners has replaced the Squier decal with a Fender one and they didn't do a particularly good job. The bridge has been swapped out for a poor quality Mustang knock off bridge. I road tested the guitar at the weekend and my low E and high E strings kept popping out, a total pain. Tempted to go for a Staytrem bridge, but it seems a little perverse to drop £65 on a £200 instrument. I have an Allparts mustang bridge in my Jazzmaster and I have had no problems with that. Decisions!

My wife sanded the thick poly finish off the back of the neck and finished it with true oil (I think), which has really improved the feel of the guitar.

The trem has been fine and that is the main reason I bought the guitar, to have it as a back/alt. tuned guitar for live playing. So many songs have been written for Seas, Starry that need the Jazz/Jag tremolo that when I saw this Jag advertised I thought it would be a good addition.

I had a HH Jaguar special about 15 years and after gigging I am instantly reminded of one thing I couldn't get on with and that is the lead circuit switches! I kept hitting them and once managed to turn my guitar off at one point! I'll be changing that out for a 3 way switch.

The pickups are okay, not quite to my tastes as they are quite hot and pokey. Can anyone recommend pickups that are a bit fatter and mellower?
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

George L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by George L » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:52 am

Jan Deal wrote:So, I've picked up a 2nd hand VM Jag ( picture here: https://www.instagram.com/seasstarry/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I can't direct link as I am at work) and overall I am happy with it for the price I paid (£200).

One of the previous owners has replaced the Squier decal with a Fender one and they didn't do a particularly good job. The bridge has been swapped out for a poor quality Mustang knock off bridge. I road tested the guitar at the weekend and my low E and high E strings kept popping out, a total pain. Tempted to go for a Staytrem bridge, but it seems a little perverse to drop £65 on a £200 instrument. I have an Allparts mustang bridge in my Jazzmaster and I have had no problems with that. Decisions!

My wife sanded the thick poly finish off the back of the neck and finished it with true oil (I think), which has really improved the feel of the guitar.

The trem has been fine and that is the main reason I bought the guitar, to have it as a back/alt. tuned guitar for live playing. So many songs have been written for Seas, Starry that need the Jazz/Jag tremolo that when I saw this Jag advertised I thought it would be a good addition.

I had a HH Jaguar special about 15 years and after gigging I am instantly reminded of one thing I couldn't get on with and that is the lead circuit switches! I kept hitting them and once managed to turn my guitar off at one point! I'll be changing that out for a 3 way switch.

The pickups are okay, not quite to my tastes as they are quite hot and pokey. Can anyone recommend pickups that are a bit fatter and mellower?
The truth is with Staytrem The screws will never vibrate loose. the strings will never jump again out of the saddles and also low E and high E are away from the edge of the fretboard
I'm into shoegaze and noise and fender pure vintage 65 pickups sound awesome with my FuzzHugger sonic shroom and big muff

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:41 am

George L wrote:I'm into shoegaze and noise and fender pure vintage 65 pickups sound awesome with my FuzzHugger sonic shroom and big muff
They were not an option that I ever considered. I was leaning on the idea of a low output humbucker or similar. Thanks for the advice!
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

Chris H.
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Chris H. » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:23 pm

Ive just fitted a MIM 60s Lacquer neck on my VM Jag, it was a straight fit with no problems.