An anomaly / split in the space-time continuum - vintage Jaguars

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
sookwinder
Mods
Mods

An anomaly / split in the space-time continuum - vintage Jaguars

Post by sookwinder » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:04 pm

I suppose this could go in the ebay section , but it is more a general observation.

I like/collect vintage Jaguars with binding and in particular blocks & binding.  I have noticed over the past couple of years when watching ebay, graigs list, trading post or any other online auction site, there are always plenty of 62 - 65 vintage jags available  (plane neck , no binding only dots). 

Yet there are far fewer Jaguars with dots/binding or block/binding available for auction, even though in the period 65 - 66 the Jaguar was still the top of the range fender guitar. (remember the strat boom didn't occur till 67 - 68)

So is this because:
-  Even though the Jaguar was top of the range in 65 - 66, the number of sales had dropped dramatically from say the 63 - 64 period
-  Do people just not want to part with their blocks and binding or dots and binding jaguars
-  Were more blocks and binding or dots and binding jaguars "destroyed" in the 70s with all the hambackers than say the early dots only Jaguars
-  KAOS has secretly bought up all the blocks and binding or dots and binding jaguars to corner the market

I really don't have a satisfactory answer to my question ... anyone ?
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: An anomaly / split in the space-time continuum - vintage Jaguars

Post by zhivago » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:43 am

I'd think the surf boom must of been easing off by '66...at that point everyone was playing 12-strings and acoustic guitars (or 12 string acoustic guitars! :)), I guess...maybe that's why people bought less Jaguars (and Jazzmasters).

I also do think that people find it harder to let go of blocks & binding guitars...I see it on the net all the time, people love the look.
Resident Spartan.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:47 am

I vote for option 1. HUGE amounts of Jags were sold in '63 - '64. I think one good reason for this was probably Carl Wilson, who played the Oly White/Tortoise Jag. Come to think of it, most of these '63s and '64s that weren't sunburst, were OW.

Remember, this was just before the 'British Invasion' and Fender didn't have a whole lot of competition in the high end market (or any market, really). 
Q. Are we not men?

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:21 am

Same with bass VI's, ive been collecting them since '89..the early first generation VI's and the '63 are pretty common in my opinion..there always seems to be at least one on ebay..all the time. Move to block markers an the things get massively rarer...I love collecting last year offsets..would love a '75 Jaguar and even more a super rare 1980 Jazzmaster  :? Any of these in custom colours are near impossible to get.

MikeMaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MikeMaster » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:37 am

Where would one find the production figures by year for Jags or JMs
MikeMaster

blueavenger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blueavenger » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:24 am

I've read in more than one place that a '66 ANYTHING is harder to find than earlier years.  Supposedly the guitar boom was on the slide and production was down across the board, not just at Fender.  Dem Hippies done brought it back.  Not claiming any expertise, but like I said, I've read it in more than place...
May God bless the Banjo Players... They try so hard...