has anyone buzz feitenized their offset?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

has anyone buzz feitenized their offset?

Post by dain » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:23 am

i'm really wondering how much change it would effect, specifically on jaguars.

i've heard it makes a huge difference on acoustics, but not as much on electric.  and i realize that the general
wierdness of leo's vision is what we love about offsets, but i'd love to have a perfectly tuned jag to compliment
my intonationally challenged vintage ones...

Jay
Admin
Admin

Re: has anyone buzz feitenized their offset?

Post by Jay » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:08 am

A free bump since I've often wondered myself...

hound of winter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hound of winter » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:02 pm

I've heard about Buzz Feiten and it sounds cool, but I ended up just using Earvana string nuts for intonation problems. Completely solved the problem, was really cheap, and I was able to install theml myself  8)
"What is their fixation with our ears?"
"I believe they're envious."

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:53 pm

I have heard some about Buzz Feiten setups, but I don't understand them.  Could someone direct me to an article?
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:36 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: I have heard some about Buzz Feiten setups, but I don't understand them.  Could someone direct me to an article?
+1 got no ideas here....
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dain » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:03 pm

here's the link:
http://www.buzzfeiten.com/howitworks/howitworks.htm
there is a problem i've run into when doing commercial work that's supposed to be perfectly in tune (as opposed
to my normal stuff which is supposed to be perfectly OUT of tune)  that when you get one chord perfectly intonated
and tuned and then switch to another type (say a bar chord) the guitar is suddenly (although very slightly) out of tune.

strangely when i've noticed this the most is when i'm trying to rip off numetal stuff with really high gains.  if the
harmonics are not completely in tune you get "beatings" in the chord instead of smoothness.  i'm sure a real
guitar tech could explain this better.  when i'm doing ultra clean stuff i've noticed the tuning inconsistencies
usually offer something of a nice chorus which can be nice, but with large amounts of gain it can be a real
bitch.  it makes me understand why A: those engineers get paid a lot and B: you never see licolnpark playing
vintage jaguars...

anyone else more technical want to take a stab at it?  myself, i'm not sure if its voodoo or not, but i would like
to solve this problem once and for all...

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:32 pm

Very interesting, it looks like you have to have this installed through an authorized service center. I wonder if it could fit on an offset?

David
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:34 pm

The system is a well-kept secret, so the only way you can get it is through a licensed retrofitter like myself. See my pricing page for an idea of how much it will cost. For a list of authorized retrofitters, go to Buzz Feitens website.

Surfoverb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfoverb » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:38 pm

Buy a Washburn they have some set up with the Buzz system, if you like it then go for it on the Jag.Or you can get a shelf-nut installed which is a compromise to actually shortening the fretboard. Or, like Feitein recomends get a cheapo guitar (jagmaster?) and have it feiteniezed.

This stuff isnt so much a secret as it involves a tech that was personnaly trained by Feitein to know how to do it. (thats what I read anyway)
Last edited by Surfoverb on Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:43 pm

I don't see this working with an offsets trem system...

David

Edit: a compinsated nut may help https://www.earvana.com/index.html

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:49 pm

Well, I think it works by adjusting the breakpoint of the string through the nut but I could see the floating bridge causing some problems for something like this.

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dain » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:56 pm

hmm, they do have some stratalike guitars set up for this.  it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch from a strat trem to a floating.  do you mean the fact that the actual bridge moves back and forth?  i guess that does defeat the purpose of having someone fine tune it like that... :-\

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:09 pm

Firstly,perfect intonation and tuning does not exist.we can get close but you'll never get it to perfection,its impossible.
I use "perfect" in this context.

I've learnt to have perfect intonation in every cord i use.Got tips from a Jack Endino site once and worked out my own way that probably only works for me and my playing.

1.I tune on the neck pup with tone off.

2.E is slightly flatter than perfect because when i hit it hard open its perfect,also when i play an open G its perfect in relation to b on 5th string.
  A is also slightly flatter. DGB are tuned perfect and high E is very slightly sharper.

3.Pressure in relation to chords is a big deal and you need to find the sweet spot for this to work.I get perfect chords all over the neck from nut to 22.

I don't think this makes much sense to anyone else but it works great and I'm never out of tune,it goes for all my guitars.
I have no idea if this even relates to this thread but maybe it does.It can take some time working out a new guitars tuning/intonation quirks but once you do its the best thing ever.

:)

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:53 pm

Would it work with 24" scale?
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:57 pm

Jay wrote: Well, I think it works by adjusting the breakpoint of the string through the nut but I could see the floating bridge causing some problems for something like this.
It could cause problems I guess, although in my experience the bridge has always returned to the right place even with heavy trem use.

It's impossible to get "perfect" intonation, because it's all about temperament - our tuning system (equal temperament) is optimised so that everything is similarly "out" of tune - other tuning systems are optimised for certain chord voicings, but when you stray from those it gets pretty nasty. Feiten must have come up with his own temperament system.

And yes, FireAarro, you could use Feiten on any scale of guitar.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"