Re: Got my B&B Jazzmaster from Stringnet today...it's not good

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Tue May 29, 2007 3:57 am

1946dodge wrote: Why not write to the dealer and tell them this is not what you ordered.
  Well, yeah, I tried that.  It's all chronicled in the "I'M DOING IT!!!" thread.  The thing is, everyone here made me realize that ALL the necks are going to be like that.  So, what's the use.
One more guitar, then I'll practice!

fourmations
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fourmations » Tue May 29, 2007 2:51 pm

my cij (4 months old) is like this also, it doesnt bother me

i also agree that you got what was asked for, a cij B&B,
sand it or live with it

rgrds

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Tue May 29, 2007 7:56 pm

Wow, I gotta tell you I'm amazed at how many people have yellow or orange binding and don't seem to be bothered by it!!  I really envy that!  As you can tell by the list of guitars I rattled off earlier in the thread, I'm a BIG fan of neck binding.  And I've played lots of other guitars that had neck binding, cheap AND expensive, and I've never in my life came across ANYONE that sprayed tinted lacquer over a binding!  Surely, you can see how I would be put off by this and I can't, for the life of me, imagine why Fender Japan does it!  Maybe because I'm an artist and very detail oriented.  Everything has to be just so. ::)

~*blissedandgone*~
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ~*blissedandgone*~ » Tue May 29, 2007 8:57 pm

berlinbetty wrote:   Wow, I gotta tell you I'm amazed at how many people have yellow or orange binding and don't seem to be bothered by it!!  I really envy that!  As you can tell by the list of guitars I rattled off earlier in the thread, I'm a BIG fan of neck binding.  And I've played lots of other guitars that had neck binding, cheap AND expensive, and I've never in my life came across ANYONE that sprayed tinted lacquer over a binding!  Surely, you can see how I would be put off by this and I can't, for the life of me, imagine why Fender Japan does it!  Maybe because I'm an artist and very detail oriented.  Everything has to be just so. ::)
I don't blame you. Did Fender put laquer on the binding originally? Perhaps, like the finish on the neck, it's supposed to replicate the aged-ness of it. I would sand it smooth myself, but seventy other people before me said that, so I added nothing to the conversation.

Webrocker
Expat
Expat

Post by Webrocker » Tue May 29, 2007 10:18 pm

Perhaps (only guesswork here) they did the neck like they did to make sure that no one would mistake them for vintage ones?
If a vintage neck alone will sell for $800, there could be much inspiration to sell a '66 reissue neck as the "real thing"...
look ma, no string-buzz

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Wed May 30, 2007 3:10 pm

I have a guitar I got a long time ago that had laquer on the binding. Some dink also painted it some stupid gold color. It is a Les Paul copy, but it had blocks and binding.
So first thing I did was strip the shit gold off the body to reveal a nice black finish with binding that this knuckle head had covered. I guess he wanted a "gold top" or something.
Then I took the neck and carefully took off the laquer from the neck binding. I did it with pumice and rottenstone so I wouldnt scratch the binding material.  I think I wiped a rag on it with a little turps first to loosen it up - very little turps.
It came off nicely.
I wouldnt sand it with sandpaper, I would use some very fine abraisive in a fluid.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

rabidhamster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rabidhamster » Wed May 30, 2007 4:23 pm

IVe played 4 genuine vintage original examples of the bound and blocked offsets, and they were ALL an orangey yellow color on the side binding. 

I'd seen the funky side dots before and hated them too, but looking at it, i like it a lot now.  It seems better there, somehow.  Its more Japanese:)

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Wed May 30, 2007 6:03 pm

rabidhamster wrote: IVe played 4 genuine vintage original examples of the bound and blocked offsets, and they were ALL an orangey yellow color on the side binding. 
I could imagine 40 years worth of sweat might do that :)

Still, I don't like things that are artificially "aged" even if that is what they were going for.  But I honestly doubt it was; none of the rest of the guitar is relic'd in any way.  All the plastic parts are pure white, not vintage white like the US models.  I think it's still a mystery; I don't buy that it was just sloppiness either, this is Japan we're talking about!

Anyway berlinbetty did the sanding, so it seems like it's a non-issue at this point - but it's still a curiosity.

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Wed May 30, 2007 6:29 pm

There are pics posted in the other thread (I'M DOING IT!!!) if'n ya wanna check it out. :D