Does My EBMM Albert Lee count as an offset?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: Does My EBMM Albert Lee count as an offset?

Post by fullerplast » Sat May 26, 2007 6:24 pm

djetz wrote:
fullerplast wrote:
Perpendicular to the Longitudinal Axis
Album title alert!!!

Or perhaps an instrumental title... somebody must use that one for something, anyway.

I KNOW! That's GREAT, ain't it?

Godspeed, Leo!
Q. Are we not men?

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Sat May 26, 2007 6:48 pm

fullerplast wrote: Sorry about that, it's kind of an inside joke from the "early days" (a few months ago).  We were quite fond of drawing lines through guitars to determine (or display) their "offsetness" and it was getting tiresome and played out.  So I drew a line through my dog...
No need to apologise, cute animal pictures are always welcome. Plus, in that pose, the dog's head is perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of his/her body.

I'm going to be dropping that one into conversations for weeks to come, I can tell.
-=264=-

uvacom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by uvacom » Sat May 26, 2007 7:09 pm

Okay, fair enough. This does sort of beg the question - can only Fender (or a company which obtains a license from Fender) produce an offset guitar? How restrictive is that patent?

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat May 26, 2007 7:20 pm

Patents are only good for a certain period of time, then the design is "fair game". That's why we see so many different makers ripping off the offset body. 

Besides, the 1977 agreement in the Norlin vs. Hoshino ( AKA Gibson vs. Ibanez, the famous "lawsuit") was that the headstock is THE defining feature of a guitar maker's brand. Therefore guitar bodies can be copied without license.

It's probably how Leo was able to rip off himself under the G&L name!  There's irony for ya!
Q. Are we not men?

uvacom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by uvacom » Sun May 27, 2007 9:31 am

fullerplast wrote: Patents are only good for a certain period of time, then the design is "fair game". That's why we see so many different makers ripping off the offset body. 

Besides, the 1977 agreement in the Norlin vs. Hoshino ( AKA Gibson vs. Ibanez, the famous "lawsuit") was that the headstock is THE defining feature of a guitar maker's brand. Therefore guitar bodies can be copied without license.

It's probably how Leo was able to rip off himself under the G&L name!  There's irony for ya!
Actually, G&L does license the body shapes - check it (from the G&L website) -

"Some G&L instrument models are sold under license from Fender Musical Instruments Corporation
with respect to design trademarks in the Stratocaster® and Telecaster® body shapes."

It probably isn't necessary, of course, but FWIW G&L did obtain permission.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun May 27, 2007 8:17 pm

fullerplast wrote:
djetz wrote: Edit: nice doggie pic, though I don't quite see the connection.

Sorry about that, it's kind of an inside joke from the "early days" (a few months ago).  We were quite fond of drawing lines through guitars to determine (or display) their "offsetness" and it was getting tiresome and played out.  So I drew a line through my dog...

:P
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Damn kids, get off my lawn!