Fender NOS Custom

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
BenHagerty

Fender NOS Custom

Post by BenHagerty » Wed May 23, 2007 10:35 am

http://primitivesound.net/shop/index.ph ... ucts_id=31

Should I buy this? What is NOS Custom also?

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: Fender NOS Custom

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed May 23, 2007 10:44 am

seems like a decent price.
this is a fender custom shop guitar, and NOS (new old stock) means that it's made to look like a guitar that was made in 1962 but is in mint condition, as if it has been lying in a case ever since it left the factory.

Sonicly Duo

Post by Sonicly Duo » Wed May 23, 2007 3:00 pm

The Fender Custom Shop doesn't make Jaguars, must have been a one-off.  Good price though.

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Wed May 23, 2007 4:10 pm

About the same price as a AVRI - pretty good if you ask me!

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Wed May 23, 2007 4:14 pm

They should have more pics so potential buyers can verify that it is a CS instrument, and not an AVRI.  If it is what they claim, it is a good deal!
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

BenHagerty

Post by BenHagerty » Wed May 23, 2007 4:42 pm

It is probs CS, the pickgaurd is the redish color (my favorite on a jazzmaster/jaguar) and AVRIs is a more of a brownish color which I think is ewwie

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Wed May 23, 2007 5:48 pm

BenHagerty wrote: It is probs CS, the pickgaurd is the redish color (my favorite on a jazzmaster/jaguar) and AVRIs is a more of a brownish color which I think is ewwie
I think the pickguard is not a good indication of wether it's CS or not. They use the same materials.

On the other hand, the sunburst looks more like the ones on the CS Bass VI and not much like the regular AVRI's.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Wed May 23, 2007 7:59 pm

I would want more pics...
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Sonicly Duo

Post by Sonicly Duo » Wed May 23, 2007 8:27 pm

I couldn't see some one buying a CS Jag because brand new it would cost about the same as an original SB mid '60s Jag (assuming it would cost around the same as CS Strat's).

BenHagerty

Post by BenHagerty » Thu May 24, 2007 2:08 am

JazzBlaster wrote: I would want more pics...
If and when I get it, there will be plenty of pictures :)

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Thu May 24, 2007 7:32 pm

I have seen a number of "Custom Shop" Jags and JMs on eBay that are just AVRIs.  Apparently, many (non-Fender) dealers simply aren't aware that there have been US-made offsets for a few years.  To them, Made in USA = "Custom Shop".  If they tell you it is a "Pre-decal" Custom Shop piece, they are also full of $#!+...

(heard that one a couple of times before!)

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Thu May 24, 2007 8:14 pm

cmatthes wrote: I have seen a number of "Custom Shop" Jags and JMs on eBay that are just AVRIs.  Apparently, many (non-Fender) dealers simply aren't aware that there have been US-made offsets for a few years.  To them, Made in USA = "Custom Shop".  If they tell you it is a "Pre-decal" Custom Shop piece, they are also full of $#!+...

(heard that one a couple of times before!)
+1
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

GTO
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by GTO » Thu May 24, 2007 11:13 pm

Getting it 'mail order' is I think a problem because you can't check close up on the CS identifying features, so I think you should ask for more photo's.

The easy points to check and which should be on all CS guitars is either the 'early' embossed logo on the back of the headstock, or the later etched logo. The later is not a decal as many people think, and you should not see any clear decal film around the edge, as you would say on the 'Jaguar' decal on the face. The dates on the body, if it has a date, and the neck, should sligthly pre-date the COA's date which shows when it was 'signed off'. And with the serial number you can phone the Custom Shop and get them to verify the build date and the fact they actually built one.

It will be rare if a genuine CS.