Nice jazzmaster.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
light years
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Nice jazzmaster.

Post by light years » Sat May 26, 2007 1:00 am

i know im new here but that jazz is really ugly. just an opinion ::)

~*blissedandgone*~
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ~*blissedandgone*~ » Sat May 26, 2007 9:34 pm

light years wrote: i know im new here but that jazz is really ugly. just an opinion ::)
Light Years, it doesn't matter that you're new here, you're entitled to your opinion. I think the pickguard ruins it all, it looks fake.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun May 27, 2007 4:48 am

~*blissedandgone*~ wrote:
light years wrote: i know im new here but that jazz is really ugly. just an opinion ::)
Light Years, it doesn't matter that you're new here, you're entitled to your opinion. I think the pickguard ruins it all, it looks fake.
It's an actual 63' jazzmaster. Not a reissue or anything. The same pickguard it had on it when it left the factory in 1963, most likely.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Sun May 27, 2007 4:58 am

I like both the jazz and the P bass, but I think the arm wear on the Jazz is too heavy, and the 'guard wear on the P is complete overkill.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

spiffy chap
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spiffy chap » Sun May 27, 2007 1:59 pm

I like that color.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun May 27, 2007 2:02 pm

I really like the wear on the p bass, it's a lot of wear but I like it. I've actually seen a goldguard that was quite similar in wear, I'm not sure if I have a picture of it or not, I'll check.

If we had never seen Nels Cline's jazzmaster and it was posted on one of these sites, I wonder if we'd all think it were "reliced". Know what I mean? I mean, the arm wear on his guitar is insane!

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon May 28, 2007 12:01 am

StevenO wrote: I really like the wear on the p bass, it's a lot of wear but I like it. I've actually seen a goldguard that was quite similar in wear, I'm not sure if I have a picture of it or not, I'll check.
yeah i've seen goldguards with the same amount of wear, but i can tell you, there wasn't that much wear along the edges. this is just so obviously the result of sanding the guard while detached from the bass.
the wear around the screw holes is totally unrealistic. those spots should actually be extra protected from wear. even if all the gold was worn off naturally, there would still be some left around the screws, and the same thing goes for the knobs and the finger rest, there should be a small area of gold left around them. and since this is the exact opposite of that it looks unnatural.

StevenO wrote: If we had never seen Nels Cline's jazzmaster and it was posted on one of these sites, I wonder if we'd all think it were "reliced". Know what I mean? I mean, the arm wear on his guitar is insane!
yeah, but it is consistent with the overall condition of the guitar. the arm wear on the pink one is so concentrated to that one spot. if it was natural it probably would have been more obscured, with more white showing through in the surrounding area. i'm not saying it looks bad, it just doesn't look natural enough to make me doubt it is a relic job and not an original finish.
Last edited by mynameisjonas on Mon May 28, 2007 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Mon May 28, 2007 1:36 pm

The relic-ing on that pink JM is interesting as an aesthetic experiment, but I agree that it looks obviously faked. 

That said, I find relic-ing in general to be so weird.  I don't imagine the people who spend the money on (or put the effort into) having a guitar artificially aged are the types of people to drag their guitars across the stage, throw them at speaker cabs, or generally abuse them in the ways that yield Sonic Youth-style finish wear and tear.  If you want a guitar that looks beat to crap, then beat the crap out of your guitar.  If you want a guitar that looks like it has 30 years' worth of arm wear, play the guitar for 30 years.  It's like buying a new SG and snapping the headstock off of it because all the cool old ones have headstock repairs.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Mon May 28, 2007 2:07 pm

mcatano wrote: The relic-ing on that pink JM is interesting as an aesthetic experiment, but I agree that it looks obviously faked. 

That said, I find relic-ing in general to be so weird.  I don't imagine the people who spend the money on (or put the effort into) having a guitar artificially aged are the types of people to drag their guitars across the stage, throw them at speaker cabs, or generally abuse them in the ways that yield Sonic Youth-style finish wear and tear.  If you want a guitar that looks beat to crap, then beat the crap out of your guitar.  If you want a guitar that looks like it has 30 years' worth of arm wear, play the guitar for 30 years.  It's like buying a new SG and snapping the headstock off of it because all the cool old ones have headstock repairs.
That's a lot of wisdom, for a new guy!! ;D ;D  Just kidding!!

I agree 100% with the relic-ing thing.  To me, it seems like cheating.  Besides, I want to cry over each scratch when it happens, then remember it every time I see it.  It's a nostalgia thing.  You actually start to love the wear!
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon May 28, 2007 3:06 pm

mynameisjonas wrote:
StevenO wrote: I really like the wear on the p bass, it's a lot of wear but I like it. I've actually seen a goldguard that was quite similar in wear, I'm not sure if I have a picture of it or not, I'll check.
yeah i've seen goldguards with the same amount of wear, but i can tell you, there wasn't that much wear along the edges. this is just so obviously the result of sanding the guard while detached from the bass.
the wear around the screw holes is totally unrealistic. those spots should actually be extra protected from wear. even if all the gold was worn off naturally, there would still be some left around the screws, and the same thing goes for the knobs and the finger rest, there should be a small area of gold left around them. and since this is the exact opposite of that it looks unnatural.

StevenO wrote: If we had never seen Nels Cline's jazzmaster and it was posted on one of these sites, I wonder if we'd all think it were "reliced". Know what I mean? I mean, the arm wear on his guitar is insane!
yeah, but it is consistent with the overall condition of the guitar. the arm wear on the pink one is so concentrated to that one spot. if it was natural it probably would have been more obscured, with more white showing through in the surrounding area. i'm not saying it looks bad, it just doesn't look natural enough to make me doubt it is a relic job and not an original finish.
I agree with you. Sorry if it sounded like I was arguing, was not my intention.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon May 28, 2007 4:23 pm

come on, there's no need to apologize :)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon May 28, 2007 4:45 pm

I prescribe 45 Ave Marias!!! :D  ;D ;D

ahhh...sorry everyone.....I'm in a stupidly good mood, and it's like 1.46am...I should go to sleep!! :)

it's all good  8)
Resident Spartan.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon May 28, 2007 4:58 pm

Ah, I'm in a good mood as well, I just met this girl that my friend has been trying to set me up with for a month and a half and she's great! I want to love somebody so badly, :(, but :)!!!