Re: jazzmaster japan or usa?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
starfish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by starfish » Sat May 19, 2007 2:33 pm

DB wrote: On the other hand, my 2006 Bass VI CS has some issues, namely the rough edges on the fingerboard where the laquer meets the unfinished fretboard.  This might be acceptable for a $699 guitar, but for nearly $2300 I'd expect better quality control.  Yes it has great electronics, aged plastic parts, nice nitro finish, etc., but why didn't they finish the job properly?   Does anybody in the CS look at these guitars before they leave the shop?  I don't think so.   Left a really bad taste for me for the "custom shop", which I now feel is a euphemism for "how much can I charge for these?".   Not to mention that they won't really do custom or give you bad info (we won't do custom colors on Bass VI, then I see custom colors here on the board).  Bad customer service from US I think.
I concur.  I posted many of these same complaints about my OW CS Bass VI.  But I will say that my CS VI has an unbelieveable resonance unplugged.  So much so that I have only plugged it in a couple times because I thoroughly enjoy playing it acoustically.  In the end I'm really satisfied with my CS VI but there were a bunch of silly things that really make me ponder if there is such a thing as QA in the shop.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Sat May 19, 2007 10:51 pm

starfish wrote:

I thought long and hard about leaving this alone but this sure looks like a personal attack to me.  But that's fine if you feel you need to resort to this.  In the end, I've had every variety of manufacture except CIJ, as I noted with an exception - "perhaps CIJ improved."  No one will ever convince me that the MIJ guitars are on par quality wise with AVRI and with vintage, where it's not even a fair comparison really.  Of course we are listening with two different sets of ears and to each his own.  I would never pretend to be a wine connoisseur, but it is often stated that most people cannot tell the difference between a $12 bottle of wine and a $150 bottle of wine.  But in the end all thirsts are quenched and perhaps therein lies your point.
No ones trying to convince you of anything,were just stating whats true.

I have original Mustang (66) and i prefer Japanese handsdown and if i got offered 2 cij guitars (jazzmaster and mustang) for it I would trade in a second!

If you can never be convinced a Japanese guitar is as good as an american one then you are missing out.

Its no problem though,we all do what we feel we need to do and so long as you have A guitar thats all that really matters.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Sun May 20, 2007 1:41 am

i remember someone saying in an earlier thread (or maybe it was on the FDP) that AVRIs will stand the test of time, and CIJs probably will not age very well. but we're constantly seeing evidence of the opposite; people complaining of AVRI necks that warp after just a few months of use, bad quality control in general, guitars sent back to the factory etc.
i can't remember ever hearing someone complain about the build quality of a CIJ. honestly.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Sun May 20, 2007 3:49 am

mynameisjonas wrote: i can't remember ever hearing someone complain about the build quality of a CIJ. honestly.
Me either. They're great instruments. I wouldn't personally bother with an AVRI. If I had proper money to spend, I'd buy vintage, not AVRI. Meantime, my CIJ Jaguar remains by far the best guitar I've ever owned (including my current SG and my old Les Paul Custom, both of which are US-made, and the latter of which was six times the price of what I paid for the Jaguar).

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Sun May 20, 2007 5:24 am

i just want to say something... i've been reading my posts in this thread and i realize i might be coming off as someone who doesn't like AVRIs. that's not the case, if i was given (for free) either a brand new AVRI or a brand new CIJ, i would go with the AVRI, since it doesn't require any parts replaced. but i would make sure i inspected it thoroughly before making my definitive choice, and i would also make sure that it came with a warranty.

starfish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by starfish » Sun May 20, 2007 7:21 am

Pumpkin wrote:
No ones trying to convince you of anything,were just stating whats true.
That is circular logic just like your opinion argument.  Just because some has an opinion that an MIJ is better than a vintage doesn't turn basswood into alder, polyester into nitro, thin sound into warm fat tone.  But we're starting to get into digital vs. analog territory.  If you don't feel, hear and appreciate an obvious difference, there isn't more I can illuminate here.

But the original poster of the thread has more than enough info to influence his research.  Playing and listening will be the ultimate judge, all else equal.  Again, if money were no object.  But perhaps that's unrealistic now as some of us were fortunate enough to stock up on vintage guitars before the price bubble.

SteveCic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SteveCic » Sun May 20, 2007 8:06 am

this argument is the main battle i'm having with myself. i wanna go with a CIJ cause it's 700 dollars cheaper, but a) cosmetically i can't find the black/red speck pickguard for a CIJ, b) how much will it be to replace the pickups. i mean i kinda wanna go with an american but like starfish said, it's basically analog vs digital. blu-ray vs hd-dvd. the function is basically the same but how they go about it and the price are the differences
GET WEIRD

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun May 20, 2007 8:10 am

I wish I had the money to be bratty about my gear again. Sometimes I wish I could just explain what I use and the tricks I use. But it seems like people just want to tear things down instead of help someone make an informed choice.

David
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Daysleeper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Daysleeper » Sun May 20, 2007 10:40 am

spacecadet wrote:
The price of a new AVRI is $1,400.  That's true everywhere I've seen, unless you get a burst, in which case it's $1,434.95.  I don't know where you paid $1,200 for a new AVRI.  I see them used for that price on Ebay, but I'm talking about buying new.
Simply not true. On most online store that's what you pay,  but if you do a little bit of research you can do better. I paid $1200 for my black AVRI Jazzmaster, that includes tax. I just bought a new Custom color AVRI Jag for $1050 including tax.....BOTH BRAND NEW!

It didn't take me very long to find these deals, I looked around in local shops and compared prices. All I had to do was find one low price and all other shops were willing to meet or beat it. You should never buy a guitar at the tag price. Chew em' down.

Also most shops in my area (Western NY) have AVRI's hanging on the wall for around $1200, and I'm sure you can chew them down. Don't believe me come over here and look. internet stores are always gonna rip you off and give you the higher price...they have a bigger market, they can afford to do that.

Also I have found several ebay actions for AVRI's new or slightly used from $950-1050 price range. You have to look around and do some research.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Sun May 20, 2007 6:00 pm

starfish wrote:
Just because some has an opinion that an MIJ is better than a vintage doesn't turn basswood into alder,

CIJ is Alder,in the past they where basswood but not anymore!
polyester into nitro
Nothong special tone wise about nitro,its just a preferance for some!
thin sound into warm fat tone.

Thin? WTF are you on about,play my jag and tell me its thin!
But we're starting to get into digital vs. analog territory.  If you don't feel, hear and appreciate an obvious difference, there isn't more I can illuminate here.
Oh,i feel and hear the difference and Japan wins everytime!
But the original poster of the thread has more than enough info to influence his research.  Playing and listening will be the ultimate judge.....
Yea,info filled with biased mis info!
For someone who doesnt own cij you come across as knowing al about 'em,maybe your a Fender employee?!?!?!

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Sun May 20, 2007 6:01 pm

JazzBlaster wrote: I wish I had the money to be bratty about my gear again. Sometimes I wish I could just explain what I use and the tricks I use. But it seems like people just want to tear things down instead of help someone make an informed choice.

David
+1

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Sun May 20, 2007 6:10 pm

SteveCic wrote: this argument is the main battle i'm having with myself. i wanna go with a CIJ cause it's 700 dollars cheaper, but a) cosmetically i can't find the black/red speck pickguard for a CIJ, b) how much will it be to replace the pickups. i mean i kinda wanna go with an american but like starfish said, it's basically analog vs digital. blu-ray vs hd-dvd. the function is basically the same but how they go about it and the price are the differences
Listen dude,CIJs are such a high quality i cant see how you would better it.Of course i mean the neck and body,the trems fine the bridge is fine the tuners are the exact same identical gotohs that avris use, the only dif is the pups,electrics and nitro im experience.If historical accuracy's not a problem then its not a problem. (i personally verified all of the above and its not word of mouth!)

A PG is cheap,as are pickups and takes 10 minutes to change so if you plan on changing pups anyway i would go cij.
If you plan on leaving it stock,then you are seriously in need of playing both and let that alone decide for you because all you will get here is biased bullshit that aint gonna help one way or another.

From all i hear i too have never heard complaints about cij but ive heard many about avris.this could be coincidence i really dont know but guitar stores do get a few avri pieces of shit that dont sound too great occasionally.never heard the same of cij's.

Again,play BOTH because until you do you will be taking the word of others which is NEVER a good thing to do without any experience for yourself! :)

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soiouz » Sun May 20, 2007 8:11 pm

Pumpkin wrote: all you will get here is biased bullshit that aint gonna help one way or another.
That's quite harsh. No matter what kind of argument you had with another person on this forum, saying such a thing is not very cool for this board and for the people that post here...

Daysleeper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Daysleeper » Sun May 20, 2007 8:49 pm

Pumpkin wrote:
SteveCic wrote: this argument is the main battle i'm having with myself. i wanna go with a CIJ cause it's 700 dollars cheaper, but a) cosmetically i can't find the black/red speck pickguard for a CIJ, b) how much will it be to replace the pickups. i mean i kinda wanna go with an american but like starfish said, it's basically analog vs digital. blu-ray vs hd-dvd. the function is basically the same but how they go about it and the price are the differences

From all i hear i too have never heard complaints about cij but ive heard many about avris.this could be coincidence i really dont know but guitar stores do get a few avri pieces of shit that dont sound too great occasionally.never heard the same of cij's.
Not true with me. I have had a few CIJ's with problems. Both of mine had electrical problems, poorly soldered wires that came undone & buzzing strings from the bridge. I had one with neck problems, and some trouble with the tremolo system. In all cases I was able to fix the them, but they are not without their problems.

Both of my AVRI's were perfect right out of the box. You are going to get varied quality from hand built guitars. Even les pauls vary in quality. You have to know how to pick them. Try them out.

Daysleeper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Daysleeper » Sun May 20, 2007 8:55 pm

Daysleeper wrote:
spacecadet wrote:
The price of a new AVRI is $1,400.  That's true everywhere I've seen, unless you get a burst, in which case it's $1,434.95.  I don't know where you paid $1,200 for a new AVRI.  I see them used for that price on Ebay, but I'm talking about buying new.
Simply not true. On most online store that's what you pay,  but if you do a little bit of research you can do better. I paid $1200 for my black AVRI Jazzmaster, that includes tax. I just bought a new Custom color AVRI Jag for $1050 including tax.....BOTH BRAND NEW!

It didn't take me very long to find these deals, I looked around in local shops and compared prices. All I had to do was find one low price and all other shops were willing to meet or beat it. You should never buy a guitar at the tag price. Chew em' down.

Also most shops in my area (Western NY) have AVRI's hanging on the wall for around $1200, and I'm sure you can chew them down. Don't believe me come over here and look. internet stores are always gonna rip you off and give you the higher price...they have a bigger market, they can afford to do that.

Also I have found several ebay actions for AVRI's new or slightly used from $950-1050 price range. You have to look around and do some research.

I love sharin foo just sold an AVRI Jaguar in beautiful shape for $1050. I rest my case. Great deals on AVRI's are out there. just look around!