AV reissue Jag

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Daysleeper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: AV reissue Jag

Post by Daysleeper » Thu May 03, 2007 5:00 pm

Just plugged in my AVRI Jag AND I AM IN HEAVEN. This thing plays like a dream! The Inca Silver looks better than I thought.

spaceghost
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spaceghost » Fri May 04, 2007 7:35 am

sweet! how about some pictures? are you gonna keep the mint PG on it?

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri May 04, 2007 9:58 am

spaceghost wrote: the american fretboard is slab and japanese is veneer. the american fretboard is also much darker rosewood than the paler japanese.

american has clay dot markers. japanese has pearl dots.
Are these true?  I didn't think the board was a slab.  I also didn't think the dots were clay... :-\

spaceghost wrote: american pickups have bevelled polepieces. japanese has flat polepeices.

american has a serial number stamped into the neck plate. japanese has a serial number on a decal on the back of the neck.
I thought the originals had flat pole pieces too....  Also, I am all for authenticity, but for security purposes, having the serial on the neck is much better.

I do love my AVRI JM, but I want a CIJ Jag, too!! :?
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Fri May 04, 2007 10:06 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
spaceghost wrote: the american fretboard is slab and japanese is veneer. the american fretboard is also much darker rosewood than the paler japanese.

american has clay dot markers. japanese has pearl dots.
Are these true?
I don't know about the second one, and I don't know if the first part of the first is true or the second part of the first is always true, but just take a look through the pictures here:  http://www.webrocker.de/jaguar/v2/index.php?page=jag

There's a section for both US and MIJ/CIJ models, and you can clearly see the difference in most of them in the darkness of the fretboard.  So that point is definitely true at least some of the time.

I'm waiting on a new CIJ JM right now, so then I'll see first-hand if it's still true of the brand new ones, but I'm prepared for a somewhat lighter fretboard than the US models.

spaceghost
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spaceghost » Fri May 04, 2007 10:12 am

like i said before, some of this may be dated, its from fenderjaguar.net. I thought there wasn't much change from MIJ/CIJ, but the rosewood quality definately seems different. as for the clay dots, Fender Japan may have used them off and on. I also do not know much about the vintage offsets, but i can tell you that my AVRI Jag's polepeices are bevelled and my friends 92-93 Japanese Jag are not. Sadly, i've never owned a Vintage Jag, but the recent post (My Jaguars and Jazzmaster by slomomarc) makes me want to sell my car and my computer and my girlfriend for tons more Jaguars than the one I have!!!

Daysleeper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Daysleeper » Fri May 04, 2007 10:16 pm

spaceghost wrote: sweet! how about some pictures? are you gonna keep the mint PG on it?
Nope. I'm gonna take off the mint green. It's ok, but I love Red Tortoise on any color. it was my vision for this Jag from the beginning.

Plus they left the Pickguard plastic on to long and it left some residue on the guard. I hate when places do that. Other than that though, I tried it out during band practice...and my band was blown away by the sound. it will add some new dimension to our material. Best purchase made in a long time!

Here She is:

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat May 05, 2007 1:57 am

Man, that is fantastic.

Rumors, I think the AVRIs are slab boards (certainly Daysleeper's Jag appears to be) .. I can't find any pics or references just off the top of a quick Google, but there is a bit in Wheeler's Strat book where a Fender employee mentions that part of the reason that '62 was chosen as the year to reissue for the AVRIs is that the boards changed from slab to veneer in that year, so they could try out the slab boards and then change to veneer if they didn't pan out and still call them '62 RIs.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sat May 05, 2007 2:19 am

That's interesting.  I'm not really sure how to identify a slab board... :-[
I was just wondering about my AVRI Jazz...I don't even know what to look for.  Pardon my ignorance.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat May 05, 2007 4:08 am

Glimmertwin sums it up pretty well here.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.