...traveling with your offset by air...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
nervepylon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

...traveling with your offset by air...

Post by nervepylon » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:43 pm

...i'm planning to travel by air with my JM  this summer ...is it safe?..are they gonna allow it as a carry-on?...please give me some tips or advice...thanks in advance :)
...i was a moment that quickly passed...

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: ...traveling with your offset by air...

Post by Pumpkin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:05 pm

Buy it a business class seat? :D

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:01 pm

If they don't allow it as a carry on, then  I would take off the strings, remove the neck and pack it in a suitcase with padding. They throw the stuff around pretty roughly in airports and if you have it strung up, it could damage it. If you dont want to take it apart then detune it to near zero - almost no tension on the neck.
IMHO, of course.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

nervepylon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by nervepylon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:03 pm

Pumpkin wrote: Buy it a business class seat? :D
..haha would love to but i'm not that rich yet...still dreaming for that rock&roll swindle to happen :D

nervepylon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by nervepylon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:20 pm

1946dodge wrote: They throw the stuff around pretty roughly in airports
..ouch! pretty scary :( ...i'm not that good in deconstructing guitars and i already had a hardtime in setting up my JM so i'll pass for that...thanks for the advice i'll consider it as an option..cheers!:)

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:50 pm

Travelling with your guitar is always a "hope for the best" kinda scenario. Definitely de-tune the strings - I always detune about 2 turns. Then close the case, lock it, duck tape the whole way around it (in case the latches get broken) and put some "Fragile" tape on it just for good luck (as I doubt they pay attention).

then hope for the best!
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

Ian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ian » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:46 pm

chrisjedijane wrote: Travelling with your guitar is always a "hope for the best" kinda scenario. Definitely de-tune the strings - I always detune about 2 turns. Then close the case, lock it, duck tape the whole way around it (in case the latches get broken) and put some "Fragile" tape on it just for good luck (as I doubt they pay attention).

then hope for the best!
I wouldn't duct tape it... they'll often want to open the case for inspection, so you're better off using some kind of straps that can be easily reattached around the case. With duct tape they'll just cut right through it. I got mine at Canadian Tire and they worked like a charm.

Taylorplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Taylorplayer » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:20 am

Coming to Ireland, I bubble wrapped the hell out of my Taylor T5 case and celephaned and packing taped it. They X-rayed it and never asked a question. I stongly recomend however removing the neck and packing it into your clothes. locktite the threads of your bridge and restring it when you get there.

If you're checking it into baggage, I don't see and never have seen any point in loosening the string of a guitar for flight. All good major guitar companies ship there guitars all over the world strung to pitch, why should it be any different?

There are services for certain carriers called 'special handeling items'. A friend of mine bought a $9000 classical and flew home with it, using this service. It's a seperate counter and he watched as the service person walked to the plane and placed the single item into the hold. This might be worth checking into.
Need some XII pickup covers....

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:20 am

Taylorplayer wrote: If you're checking it into baggage, I don't see and never have seen any point in loosening the string of a guitar for flight. All good major guitar companies ship there guitars all over the world strung to pitch, why should it be any different?
I would have thought that most guitar complanies would have shipped their guitars around by sea, as sending over huge quantities of guitars by air would be prohibitively expensive.

The reason why I think it's a good idea to detune the strings is because of the temperatures that the guitar is exposed to - it gets very cold in the hold one you get to cruising altitude (if you don't believe me, check out your deodorant can when you get your luggage back, it'll be freezing). The low temperatures will cause the tension of the strings to increase.

Also, loosening the strings reduces the chance of a "whiplash" effect happening if the guitar gets a nasty knock - I've witnessed this first-hand, and it's not nice. I think it's best to remove as much tension as possible from the neck.

Taylorplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Taylorplayer » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:25 am

I was managing a small guitar store and in particular Taylor Guitars, G&L guitars, and Musicman all cane by UPS Air. As far as I know, Martin does as well.
Need some XII pickup covers....

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:54 am

oh ok. AFAIK air freight is a bit different than the hold of a passenger plane - they regulate the temperature so they goods aren't freezing. I don't think passenger airlines really care...