Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by wooderson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:47 am

They're more creamy than stark white.

"Hit or miss" sounds like the usual guitar forum/buyer mythology about needing to play dozens to find the magical one. Assuming there's nothing actively wrong with it that needs to be fixed (twisted neck or bad wiring or something) and it's set up, all Marrs are going to be all but identical in sound.

I'm personally not a fan of tortoiseshell on most of the metallics - I like it on black, white, burst, or a dark color like charcoal frost metallic.
Spitfire has a good gallery of tort on various colors: https://spitfiretortoiseshellpickguards ... nd-styles/

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:26 am

Maggieo wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:31 am
God, that LPB is so gorgeous. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Thx!

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:27 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:09 pm
Yeah it looks really good
Thx!

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:28 am

It might not have been in all the way. I just pulled the guitar out of the case and popped in the trem to take the photo.
jmsrsstr wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:36 am
It's a bit tricky to tell from the angle of the photo, but I think the trem arm isn't fully stuck in all the way on your LPB. I've got the same one and it took two hands to get it in all the way.

See here.
http://staytrem.com/epages/950002362.mo ... tent_page2
Meriphew wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:35 am
A couple pics of mine. The KO has a Mastery bridge installed (and I’m probably going to put some Fralin pickups in it). The LPB is stock.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:30 am

The guard on the LPB Marr is a mint color. It looks really good. The KO version is just white - which looks good, but not as good as the mint guard.
akpasta wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:19 pm
Trying to decide between a Lake Placid Blue Jaguar with a tortoise pickguard, or the Olympic white with the tortoise pickguard.

I'm not really into white pickguards.

I want to just solicit your opinions on which one is a better look, but also want to ask, is the Olympic white on these Jags a cream white, or is it bright white like you see on some newer Jazzmasters? I don't like the bright white, I much prefer a creamier white. Also does this Olympic White get yellower/creamier over time like you see with other Olympic whites?

Final question, are johnny marr jag pickguards the same as regular jag pickguards?

These are not johnny marr jags of course, but I found some photos that I was using to try and decide :-)

wmachine
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by wmachine » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:57 pm

wooderson wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:47 am

"Hit or miss" sounds like the usual guitar forum/buyer mythology about needing to play dozens to find the magical one. Assuming there's nothing actively wrong with it that needs to be fixed (twisted neck or bad wiring or something) and it's set up, all Marrs are going to be all but identical in sound.
I think you went from one unrealistic extreme to another. Calling the variations "hit or miss, playing dozens, the magical ones" are one extreme, but calling variations a "myth, will be identical" is not accurate either. Too much experience from too many people to deny a determinable difference. I cannot offer any opinion on Marrs and Jags for relative consistency, but there are makes and models known for having a wide berth of consistency. Gibson ES-335s for example. Sometimes it is matter of "just different", neither better or worse, but often it is better than worse.
Yes, generally speaking, there is such a thing as a "good one". There always has been, until the internet came along.
"I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:06 pm

wmachine wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:57 pm
wooderson wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:47 am

I think you went from one unrealistic extreme to another. Calling the variations "hit or miss, playing dozens, the magical ones" are one extreme, but calling variations a "myth, will be identical" is not accurate either. Too much experience from too many people to deny a determinable difference. I cannot offer any opinion on Marrs and Jags for relative consistency, but there are makes and models known for having a wide berth of consistency. Gibson ES-335s for example. Sometimes it is matter of "just different", neither better or worse, but often it is better than worse.
Yes, generally speaking, there is such a thing as a "good one". There always has been, until the internet came along.
Lots of people believing conventional wisdom doesn't make it true, particularly in a world that's just a half-step from the insanity of audiophilia. It used to be that Fender's poly finishes 'killed tone' then it was just that thick finishes kill tone, poly is cool and now all that wisdom is pretty much ignored by everyone.

'All Marrs have the same tonewoods (a questionable enough issue in itself) - alder, maple and rosewood, with all the same wiring and hardware. The one point of departure might be variations in pickups, but I will wager any deviation there is minimal - a company like Fender has tolerances suppliers like Bareknuckle must meet. In a blind test, taking a dozen Marrs off the wall, I doubt anyone on Earth would be able to tell them apart by ear.

Re: consistency - as I said, this uniformity is dependent on proper functioning and a good setup. Gibson has a lot of problems with that - poorly cut nuts, lousy fret work.

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:53 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:11 pm
benecol wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:00 pm
After months of not tempting fate (it's sat in my friend's dad's spare room in California since April), and for only the second time in ten years of posting at Shortscale...

I have a shortscale.

I had an AVRI Jag thirteen years ago, but sold it because we had a baby on the way and I'd bent my bicycle. I've finally replaced it with a Johnny Marr Jaguar.

It's great, it's really, really good. I knew the neck were fatter (I like thick necks), but it's interesting how the fact it's not that wide means it still feels pretty small. It sounds AMAZING, Jag neck pickup especially is one of my favourite pickup sounds. The switching is really smart - I was dubious what difference the strangle (especially the double-strangle on the humbucking position) would make, but it's really distinct.

Switched out the bridge, collet and arm for a Staytrem, shimmed the neck and put some manland 12s on it. I'm so happy.
The Marr already comes stock with a staytrem collet/arm haha
Noooo, no it doesn't. The bridge isn't a Staytrem, and while the collet is similar, it's not identical to the Staytrem. Plus the previous seller had lost the arm, so I bought an arm and trem together.

Apart from being wrong on both counts, you're spot on.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:12 pm

Oh my god it’s exactly the same in form and function come on

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:05 pm

Different string spacing, different adjustment, different construction method on the bridge - the standard JM bridge (at least up until the black/black model) is more like a Mustang bridge with a Staytrem tweak. I'll give you that the collet is pretty similar (I'm splitting hairs when I say that it's milled slightly thicker, and the nut is metric rather than imperial), but I needed an arm and was happy to chuck a little extra cashish the Staytrem guy's way.

So apart from the form, and therefore the function, being different, you're 2/2 again. Keep it up!

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 am

The other poster didn't say the bridge was identical, he said the collet/arm was.

welshywelsh
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by welshywelsh » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:24 am

Had mine for just over two weeks now. Puts nearly everything else I own to shame, totally love it.

As soon as I saw Johnny playing a LPB one with the signature on the headstock I emailed Fender. Initial response was 2019/20 if at all for production, but clearly many people wanted it so it's arrived far quicker than I or my bank balance expected!

BearBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BearBoy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:54 am

The LPB / mint combination looks lush. Wish they'd put mint on my Metallic KO (yes, appreciate I could probably change it myself ;) )

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:54 am

wooderson wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 am
The other poster didn't say the bridge was identical, he said the collet/arm was.
Dammit.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 am

wooderson wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 am
Thank you, poster who seemingly at least actually read my posts.