Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by Maggieo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Congrats!

Get some Spitfire tort and dump the ashtray! You'll thank me! ;D

The Happy Corner, April 02, 2015 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

bacca51
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacca51 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:31 pm

djversus wrote:STB(soon to be)-NGD!!

Just pulled the trigger on marrguar after going in circles between 60's v AmPro v Marr v Squier (you heard me, I like working on my own instruments). Lurking around this forum proved invaluable, so shoutout to you all!

Picked it up for ~1100 not including shipping. Now begins the slow torture of waiting for it to arrive. My first offset too! Anyhoo obligatory pix below. Thinking tort for the pickguard. The only thing is that supposedly it got a fullsetup right before being listed, but it has .9's on it and I usually use .10, thinking of trying .11's, but going from .9 to .11 will surely mean new setup, ah well.

Also didn't know these came with a mute, or I think thats a mute, like the ashtray on old fender bass? or its the kind thats just a cover?

Thought I'd post here instead of making a thread... hopefully thats ok.
I saw this Marr Guar on reverb, a great deal for a great guitar. Glad a forum member picked it up.

salty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by salty » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:05 am

Kwyjibo wrote:Was just reading another post about a similar problem as mine with the marr jaguar. Did switching to a staytrem fix the fretting out on the high frets? Has anyone else heard of "spatula heel"? Another user said he had this problem of his marrguar fretting out and a luthier said it is a defect in the heel due to moisture...i've never heard of this before- not saying it isn't real, but did a staytrem bridge switch help anyone else with their marrguar fretting out? Something to do with the mustang bridge radius/spacing not being correct?

Thanks all!
Hey there, I am the one who's luthier told me about what he called "Spatula Heel." I did some more digging to try to find out more about it and it appears the more common term for it is "Rising Tongue." Based on the reading I did, it is actually pretty common with bolt on necks, but not to the degree that it was going on with my Marr. Typically it is apparently hard to just glance at and see, it is more common a slight rise and can be seen using a straight edge across the frets. In my case, it was drastic and I could see it looking at where the heel sat in the neck pocket. Seems the fix for it when slight can be just a fret leveling. When it is a bit worse than that, they can take off a bit of the finger board and put new frets in and level them. In my case it was so drastic that he was talking about having to do that and take a bit off the heel of the neck.

Since the guitar was new and it was clearly a defect I exchanged it instead.

thegumbootman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thegumbootman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:07 am

djversus wrote:STB(soon to be)-NGD!!

Just pulled the trigger on marrguar after going in circles between 60's v AmPro v Marr v Squier (you heard me, I like working on my own instruments). Lurking around this forum proved invaluable, so shoutout to you all!

Picked it up for ~1100 not including shipping. Now begins the slow torture of waiting for it to arrive. My first offset too! Anyhoo obligatory pix below. Thinking tort for the pickguard. The only thing is that supposedly it got a fullsetup right before being listed, but it has .9's on it and I usually use .10, thinking of trying .11's, but going from .9 to .11 will surely mean new setup, ah well.

Also didn't know these came with a mute, or I think thats a mute, like the ashtray on old fender bass? or its the kind thats just a cover?

Thought I'd post here instead of making a thread... hopefully thats ok.
Nice! Definitely look at getting a Spitfire.

salty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by salty » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:11 am

Anyone put spitfire on one of the black Marrs? I have been seriously thinking about doing it with mine.

thecolorwaves
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thecolorwaves » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:36 am

Joined the JM club last week: took me three tries to get one that wasn't messed up in some way from MF (one was blemished bad, the next was dead out of the case) but it's a thing of beauty. It's by far the most I've spent on a single guitar, and has some needless frustrations (namely string spacing and going through three E-strings in short order due to the screw on the trem) but I know it's a keeper nonetheless.

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:59 am

salty wrote:Anyone put spitfire on one of the black Marrs? I have been seriously thinking about doing it with mine.
In the same boat as you. It's a classic look, but $$

salty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by salty » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:13 am

Kwyjibo wrote:
salty wrote:Anyone put spitfire on one of the black Marrs? I have been seriously thinking about doing it with mine.

Did you happen to see my response a bit earlier on the page about the neck problem I had?

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:55 am

salty wrote:
Kwyjibo wrote:

Did you happen to see my response a bit earlier on the page about the neck problem I had?
Were you the one talking about "spatula heel"? I don't see your reply but would love to hear about your problem(s)...mine has gotten better actually, but it still isn't where I'd like it to be

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:48 pm

thegumbootman wrote: Nice! Definitely look at getting a Spitfire.

Oh my, that's lovely.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:30 pm

salty wrote:
Kwyjibo wrote:Was just reading another post about a similar problem as mine with the marr jaguar. Did switching to a staytrem fix the fretting out on the high frets? Has anyone else heard of "spatula heel"? Another user said he had this problem of his marrguar fretting out and a luthier said it is a defect in the heel due to moisture...i've never heard of this before- not saying it isn't real, but did a staytrem bridge switch help anyone else with their marrguar fretting out? Something to do with the mustang bridge radius/spacing not being correct?

Thanks all!
Hey there, I am the one who's luthier told me about what he called "Spatula Heel." I did some more digging to try to find out more about it and it appears the more common term for it is "Rising Tongue." Based on the reading I did, it is actually pretty common with bolt on necks, but not to the degree that it was going on with my Marr. Typically it is apparently hard to just glance at and see, it is more common a slight rise and can be seen using a straight edge across the frets. In my case, it was drastic and I could see it looking at where the heel sat in the neck pocket. Seems the fix for it when slight can be just a fret leveling. When it is a bit worse than that, they can take off a bit of the finger board and put new frets in and level them. In my case it was so drastic that he was talking about having to do that and take a bit off the heel of the neck.

Since the guitar was new and it was clearly a defect I exchanged it instead.
roger that, mate

djversus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by djversus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:46 pm

Yea spitfire tort added to shopping list ;) good call people.

djversus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by djversus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Nice guitar! That is not the mute, just an "ashtray" cover. The mute would look like this:

isn't that the kind that is engageable and disengageable? The flat bit on the treble side acts as a lever no? I actually would totally rock that, I always put a mute on my basses a la james jamerson and carol kaye. Would be kind of fun to have that sound available on the guitar, but easily turned off.
thegumbootman wrote: Nice! Definitely look at getting a Spitfire.

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Zooey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zooey » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:43 pm

Man, I just had an awful thought: except for variations on the J. Mascis, signature offsets at Fender have a short lifespan. Two years for Elvis Costello, about five years for Moore/Ranaldo. And the public seems to find out a year after discontinuation has already taken place. How would I even know if time was running out to buy one new?

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:02 pm

Just out of interest, has anyone got any opinion on the Marrguars vs actual vintage Jags? I love my staytrem'd Marr so fucking much, but I've never seen a vintage Jag in the flesh, never mind played one. Thinking of saving up hard for a '64 but in the meantime I'd love to hear of comparisons (also considering another Marr in black)