Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
indiandysummer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by indiandysummer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Depending on tuning, I like 11-52 (standard) or 12-56 (drop D or CGDGCB) on my jags. I get the ernie ball set with a wound 3rd.

On my 25.5" guitars with hardtail bridges (like a tele), I usually use 10-50. I use 10-50 on my mustang too. Also, w/ a wound G.

On my 25.5" JMs, I usually go 11-52, as well.

Fenderman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Fenderman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:54 pm

Old thread but for anyone wonder the neck profile it's 0.82 at the first fret and 0.98 at the 12th fret. Mine is the Olympic white version, 2012. I measured with a digital caliper today while I changed the strings and oiled the fretboard.

I have a fender custom shop catalog with all the neck shapes. It says the jag/jazzmaster "C" profile is 0.82 to 0.90, so this one is still bigger than a standard "C" jag/jazzmaster neck profile.

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:05 pm

Fenderman wrote:Old thread but for anyone wonder the neck profile it's 0.82 at the first fret and 0.98 at the 12th fret. Mine is the Olympic white version, 2012. I measured with a digital caliper today while I changed the strings and oiled the fretboard.

I have a fender custom shop catalog with all the neck shapes. It says the jag/jazzmaster "C" profile is 0.82 to 0.90, so this one is still bigger than a standard "C" jag/jazzmaster neck profile.
Thanks for the measurements! I liked the Marr but not as much as my Thinline Jag. One of the reasons was the Marr's chunkier neck compared to the Japanese neck. I doubt I would have classified the Marr neck as chunky though if I was not playing the Thinline.

Fenderman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Fenderman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:06 am

A bigger neck is not for everyone but once you get used to it, it's hard to go back to say a modern C. Which is still a very comfortable neck shape.

Just cool that Marr says the neck shape was modelled after a odd 65 jaguar that he had, odd being the neck shape was a little bigger than the standard jag/jazzmaster of the time and this "custom shape" of his signature guitar is a little bigger. Which I think is cool, they didn't just grab the standard neck shape and put his sig on it.

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:14 am

Anyone need to adjust their trussrod after switching to 11's? Switched to 11's immediately after receiving the guitar and I've had it for a little more than 5 months now. I really do love it, but I can't get the action to where I find it most comfortable. I was thinking that it is a fret issue because it really only frets out on the e string 12th & 13th frets if I go too low on teh action, but I don't feel like/have the time right now to level the frets. The other day, though, I was examining the frets (which look fine) and thinking about it. Perhaps it just needs a little truss rod adjustment? I haven't done any of the measurements yet to confirm this, but I just wanted to see if people had to adjust the trussrods on theirs after switching to 11 strings.

Thanks all!

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:33 am

Was just reading another post about a similar problem as mine with the marr jaguar. Did switching to a staytrem fix the fretting out on the high frets? Has anyone else heard of "spatula heel"? Another user said he had this problem of his marrguar fretting out and a luthier said it is a defect in the heel due to moisture...i've never heard of this before- not saying it isn't real, but did a staytrem bridge switch help anyone else with their marrguar fretting out? Something to do with the mustang bridge radius/spacing not being correct?

Thanks all!

BurgMistTort
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BurgMistTort » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Probably not saying anything new, but thought I'd chime in. I LOVE my JM Jag. It corrected everything I hated about the traditional Jag design and sounds amazing to my ears.

I really like the D'Addario .011-.050 balanced tension set on it. It's a little heavier overall than the traditional .011 set, I think. The set-up was fantastic out of the box and I was worried about changing the gauge (I think it had .010s on it), but I had no issues. I think I've made one slight truss rod adjustment since I bought it two years ago. Otherwise I haven't had to touch a thing. Even when I swapped out for a genuine Staytrem bridge it all settled in nicely without any weirdness. In fact, I don't think I even had to touch the intonation (though I'm not really a perfectionist about that sort of thing).

FYI, my neck measured out at .86 at the nut with my digital calipers, and I love it. I would guess it gets up to an inch at the 12th fret, but I didn't measure that.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:38 pm

Anyone need to adjust their trussrod after switching to 11's? Switched to 11's immediately after receiving the guitar and I've had it for a little more than 5 months now. I really do love it, but I can't get the action to where I find it most comfortable. I was thinking that it is a fret issue because it really only frets out on the e string 12th & 13th frets if I go too low on teh action, but I don't feel like/have the time right now to level the frets. The other day, though, I was examining the frets (which look fine) and thinking about it. Perhaps it just needs a little truss rod adjustment? I haven't done any of the measurements yet to confirm this, but I just wanted to see if people had to adjust the trussrods on theirs after switching to 11 strings.
It's certainly not unusual to require a minor truss rod adjustment when going up a gauge, but it is entirely dependent on the individual guitar. The only way to know for sure is to measure the relief. Fender's recommendation is .012" for guitars with a 7.25" radius.

IME you can go much less (.005"-.007") if the fretwork is 100%, which I've found usually requires a fret level/recrowning, even on brand new necks.

How did you examine the frets to determine they looked fine? I'd say .005" difference in height of one fret compared to the one next to it is enough to create fret buzz. I'd be making sure the neck relief is right then using a credit card as an improvised 'fret rocker' around the 12th/13th/14th fret areas to see if one is a little high.
Kwyjibo wrote:Was just reading another post about a similar problem as mine with the marr jaguar. Did switching to a staytrem fix the fretting out on the high frets? Has anyone else heard of "spatula heel"? Another user said he had this problem of his marrguar fretting out and a luthier said it is a defect in the heel due to moisture...i've never heard of this before- not saying it isn't real, but did a staytrem bridge switch help anyone else with their marrguar fretting out?
Changing the bridge is not going to fix high/uneven frets or a ramp (I have never heard of this referred to as 'spatula heel') at the heel of the neck.

If you have a faulty neck this should be fixed by Fender under warranty.
Something to do with the mustang bridge radius/spacing not being correct?
No. Where did you get the idea the radius is incorrect? The stock bridge is the correct radius, but has a (slightly) wider string spacing than offerings from Stay-trem/Mastery (55mm vs 52mm). Some are bothered by having the E strings that close to the edge of the fretboard, others aren't. The difference across the rest of the strings is tiny.

Even if the radius was incorrect, changing the bridge is still not a consideration to fix poor/uneven fretwork or a faulty neck. Changing a bridge out isn't going to level the frets or smooth out a hump at the heel.
Last edited by andy_tchp on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

audiopablo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by audiopablo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:02 pm

so I just picked up an Am Pro Jag and I'm starting to like it's neck a lot. I do love my JMJag, but I always feel lost up high and technically challenged. This doesn't happen for me on other necks (though I'm still very technically challenged).

Two questions:

Do you think there's a market for buying just the JM Jag neck?

Can that new Am Pro neck be ordered and will it fit on the JM Jag body? I know it's sacrilege, but I do love those bare knuckle pickups and that KO body. I'm willing to go Frankenstein on it.

edit: I'm a small handed monster who fire-breathes excuses.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:11 pm

Yes, and yes.

Stratosphere are selling Marr necks for $449 [2] and $479 [1].

https://stratosphereparts.com/search.ph ... aguar+neck

I didn't spot any American Pro Jaguar necks there, but they're pretty new to the market I guess; probably easiest to send them an email and ask if (when) they're likely to have one in stock.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

audiopablo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by audiopablo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks, Andy! I'll check that site out.

Kwyjibo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kwyjibo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:17 am

Andy, appreciated the detailed reply! I'm going to spend the day workshopping this bad boy- hopefully i'll get it sorted. Cheers!

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:07 am

Fenderman wrote:Old thread but for anyone wonder the neck profile it's 0.82 at the first fret and 0.98 at the 12th fret. Mine is the Olympic white version, 2012. I measured with a digital caliper today while I changed the strings and oiled the fretboard.

I always check with Wildwood guitars, as they post accurate measurements of (almost) each guitar they sell:

https://wildwoodguitars.com/?s=fender+marr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right now, these are the neck measurements of the Marr jaguars they have for sale:

.860 1st - .980 12th
.840 1st - 1.01 12th
.850 1st - .990 12th
.850 1st - .990 12th
.840 1st - 1.00 12th
.840 1st - 1.00 12th
.840 1st - .980 12th
.860 1st - 1.010 12th
.840 1st - .990 12th

That's def on the beefier side of necks when it comes to Fender :-)

djversus
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by djversus » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:44 am

STB(soon to be)-NGD!!

Just pulled the trigger on marrguar after going in circles between 60's v AmPro v Marr v Squier (you heard me, I like working on my own instruments). Lurking around this forum proved invaluable, so shoutout to you all!

Picked it up for ~1100 not including shipping. Now begins the slow torture of waiting for it to arrive. My first offset too! Anyhoo obligatory pix below. Thinking tort for the pickguard. The only thing is that supposedly it got a fullsetup right before being listed, but it has .9's on it and I usually use .10, thinking of trying .11's, but going from .9 to .11 will surely mean new setup, ah well.

Also didn't know these came with a mute, or I think thats a mute, like the ashtray on old fender bass? or its the kind thats just a cover?

Thought I'd post here instead of making a thread... hopefully thats ok.

jbiscuti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jbiscuti » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:45 am

djversus wrote:STB(soon to be)-NGD!!

Just pulled the trigger on marrguar after going in circles between 60's v AmPro v Marr v Squier (you heard me, I like working on my own instruments). Lurking around this forum proved invaluable, so shoutout to you all!

Picked it up for ~1100 not including shipping. Now begins the slow torture of waiting for it to arrive. My first offset too! Anyhoo obligatory pix below. Thinking tort for the pickguard. The only thing is that supposedly it got a fullsetup right before being listed, but it has .9's on it and I usually use .10, thinking of trying .11's, but going from .9 to .11 will surely mean new setup, ah well.

Also didn't know these came with a mute, or I think thats a mute, like the ashtray on old fender bass? or its the kind thats just a cover?

Thought I'd post here instead of making a thread... hopefully thats ok.
Nice guitar! That is not the mute, just an "ashtray" cover. The mute would look like this: