Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Johnny Marr Sig Jaguar

Post by Kent » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:23 pm

Two nights ago, he was playing the sparkly one and possibly another. I couldn’t tell if one or both were sparkly. There is a good chance that one was white. The stage lighting made it impossible to discern.
One of then definitely had the sustainer system in it.
Last edited by Kent on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:23 am

Looks like he went with the basic, single-coil-only version of the Fernandes FSK-401 sustainer kit on his modified LPB ...
https://www.amazon.ca/Fernandes-Sustain ... B00WS61B48
There is another kit that replaces the whole wiring / switching harness, but he looks to have kept the rest of the wiring / switching much as in the stock Marr.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

gazer
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by gazer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:24 am

i presume he just asked fender for a sig jag with the Ed obrien pickup configuration, really cool nevertheless

Bandarra
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bandarra » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:44 am

What does that sustainer kit specificly do?

speranza
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by speranza » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:33 pm

I seem to remember an Instagram post or something showing that Ed O'Brien had given him one of his signature Strats, so I'd just assumed he'd transplanted the guts of it into that LPB Jaguar. He played it quite a lot on stage in Seattle a few weeks ago, along with that silver or champagne sparkle.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Bandarra wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:44 am
What does that sustainer kit specificly do?
Infinite sustain. One of several pickup-based implementations and other approaches (eg E-bow). Associated with players like Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Edge. Also often used in ambient music.
http://www.wiredguitarist.com/2016/05/0 ... ner-guide/
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... ter-review

Ed O'Brien strat wiring ...
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... 8-2017.pdf
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

scott111
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by scott111 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi. First post here. I received a new white JM jaguar and I love it.

However, I have one issue which I doubt there is a fix for but I thought I would ask. The trem arm does not stay where I place it. It did for about 30 seconds and now flops down and rests on my cord plug. It’s not sloppy loose but inserts and pulls out without any effort. The white bushing is present. All my guitars have Bigsbys which I keep tight and close within reach and was something that I was excited about with this guitar

I will be restringing it tomorrow and plan to take the trem plate off to have a look around. I’m assuming there is no further adjustment that can be made?

I ordered a spare JM trem arm which I plan to smack with a hammer to bend the end slightly to tighten up the fit. However, I am concerned that even a slight bend may cause premature wear of the bushing.

FYI, I just measured the string spacing and it’s 52mm and also appears to be 7.25 radius. Unfortunately for me, earlier in the week I bought a used stay trem bridge on reverb for $200 in anticipation of the E strings issue and 9.5 radius issue. Oh well. At least I can eliminate any potential intonation screw issues using the staytrem

One last question. I was planning to restring with 11-49. Did anyone else require a truss rod adjustment going from 10s to 11s?

Thanks for any help

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:20 pm

scott111 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:06 pm
I received a new white JM jaguar and I love it.
FYI, I just measured the string spacing and it’s 52mm and also appears to be 7.25 radius. Unfortunately for me, earlier in the week I bought a used stay trem bridge on reverb for $200 in anticipation of the E strings issue and 9.5 radius issue. Oh well. At least I can eliminate any potential intonation screw issues using the staytrem
That's the second time I've heard that the ~52-53mm E-E spacing is maybe now on all new 2018 Marrs, not just the LPB. So for anyone buying a new Marr, take your ruler with you to check. ;)

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:32 am

scott111 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:06 pm
However, I have one issue which I doubt there is a fix for but I thought I would ask. The trem arm does not stay where I place it. It did for about 30 seconds and now flops down and rests on my cord plug. It’s not sloppy loose but inserts and pulls out without any effort. The white bushing is present.
Apparently the Marr arm has to be pushed in particularly hard ...

scott111
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by scott111 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:23 am

It’s pushed in all the way. I can feel and it hear it hitting the bottom. It goes in and out way too easy. I guess I just got one with poor tolerances

Maxadur
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Maxadur » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:02 am

I changed to 11-49 with no truss rod adjustment. I think most Fenders will tolerate a one size change in gauge.

scott111
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by scott111 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:48 am

Thanks

I took trem plate off and didn’t see any further adjustment for the collet tightness. I guess these ship either nice and tight, or not.

Using just the bushing is a stupid idea. How long, even if tight at first, will it stay to original tightness....just dumb. My 30 year old PRS has a nylon collar with a small grub screw to fine tune how tight you want the trem arm. Something like that would have worked great here. Oh well

Now that staytrem doesn’t ship outside UK that means the mastery trem is the only other option and that doesn’t seem any better at keeping the arm in place

jmsrsstr
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jmsrsstr » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:15 am

I thought I had the same issue as you with the loose tremolo arm, but trust me, you need to push it in *way* harder than you think. I used both hands and most of my weight, and it finally popped into place and now works beautifully. I've been using the staytrem tremolo on my Jazzmaster for years, and it holds up perfectly to heavy (surf guitar) use. It just needs to be pushed in very, very, very, very hard.

scott111
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by scott111 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:42 am

Well I’ll try again but I hear and feel the metallic click of the arm going all the way in. And, while I had trem plate off I took a look and the arm was clearly fully seated. I took bottom bolt off collet and could see exactly where the end of the arm was

smalahove
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smalahove » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:19 am

Reg. the trem arm:

I don't know if this will work on a jag/jm trem, but on strat trems with screw-in arm, one popular solution is to use graphite tape, and put it around the threaded part of the trem arm. I haven't done this myself, but I bought a strat where the owner had done this and it worked great. You might have to change the tape now and then, though (i didn't need to).