SX Jazz bass copy

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

SX Jazz bass copy

Post by berlinbetty » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:25 am

I've kinda had the itch lately to get a cheap bass to fool around with.  I've bought from Rondo (SX, Agile) before and have been extremely satisfied with their guitars, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of their basses.  This is the one I have my eye on...
http://www.rondomusic.net/product932.html
  Also, is it neccesary to get a bass amp or can I just play it through any garden variety guitar amp?
One more guitar, then I'll practice!

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: SX Jazz bass copy

Post by pullover » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:59 am

I have an SX small scale Jazz bass that I bought for my wife. It stays in tune but the hardware sucks. Like, really poor quality finish work on all the hardware edges. The hardware is about what you would expect from this price range guitar, the finish however is really nice. It's pretty quiet electrically (there is some fret buzz but no more than you would expect from a short scale bass). I would recommend it for the price.
As far as amps, I play mine through a super reverb some or my little SS Peavey, though I still have a Stupid Powerful Huge bass amp in case I need to gig. So you can play it through a guitar amp but I would eventually buy a bass amp if I were you. Guitar amps just can't handle the low end, and you may eventually want to rock it really loud.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

luau
Admin
Admin

Re: SX Jazz bass copy

Post by luau » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:12 am

The lack of low end, even at modest volumes, drove me to purchase a bass amp. Too much flub for me, even through my Twin. Your mileage may vary of course.
Bigger in sum than parts.