Recommended source for replacement vintage guards?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
serial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Recommended source for replacement vintage guards?

Post by serial » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:37 am

I'm looking for another '66 Jag white guard.  While they pop up more frequently on the Bay than the mint/celluloid ones, I haven't seen many of them.  Any suggestions for an aftermarket guard that fits/lines up correctly for one?  Who does the best/most accurate one?  It's for a refinned guitar, so I'm not dead set on a real '66 (although that would be great). The AVRI guard (mint) is the wrong color for what I want-I want the W/B/W.  Thanks!
Destiny's in her evening gown; you're always running late.
You tell her she looks wonderful but she'll just have to wait.

Jazzprod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Recommended source for replacement vintage guards?

Post by Jazzprod » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:19 am

I'm looking for the exact same thing for my Jazzmaster.
Anyone??  :)  :-\
......below the apes above the angels.....

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:48 pm

I've had Jeannie Pickguards and Tony at Pickguardian make guards for me for standard instruments or from an original.  Both do a good job.  WD made a custom guard for me, and while not cheap, it came out very nice.  On a side note, the tort material used by WD was the nicest.  I'll try to post a pic comparison of vintage tort, Fender brown tort (current),  Japan red tort, and WD tort.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

serial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by serial » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:47 pm

I 'm most concerned about one that will line up correctly.  I've had a couple aftermarket (Chandler, WD) that don't line up all the way (Chandler made guards for Hamer as I understood and on one of the Hamers I ordered a replacement for, the toggle switch hole was off by a 1/2 inch).  I just ordered a sheet of W/B/W correct material-I might try to do my own using my original as a guide.  I'm fairly handy with the necessary tools and it would be a LOT less expensive.  An interesting experiment if nothing else!
Destiny's in her evening gown; you're always running late.
You tell her she looks wonderful but she'll just have to wait.

DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DB » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:36 pm

If possible, you want to send the original guard or a tracing.  1/2 inch off sounds a bit extreme, but a lot of guitars are not built to spec (or muliple specs).  Even a paper or cardboard tracing of what you want will help a lot.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:19 pm

serial wrote: I 'm most concerned about one that will line up correctly.  I've had a couple aftermarket (Chandler, WD) that don't line up all the way (Chandler made guards for Hamer as I understood and on one of the Hamers I ordered a replacement for, the toggle switch hole was off by a 1/2 inch).  I just ordered a sheet of W/B/W correct material-I might try to do my own using my original as a guide.  I'm fairly handy with the necessary tools and it would be a LOT less expensive.  An interesting experiment if nothing else!
..I have had vintage ones that don't line up all the way  ;D
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."