Bass Cut Switch

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bass Cut Switch

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:11 am

Great post. Cool gizmo. I don't own a Jaguar & have always been a bit bewildered by switch arrangement on them.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Who Ran The Iron Horse?
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Who Ran The Iron Horse? » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:40 am

I find that the neck pickup with strangle is the nicest sound to come out of a Jaguar. It very slightly cleans it up a bit too, and doesn't make it ice picky. Just a bit thinner.
Don't you know that's sinful boy?

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:05 pm

Who Ran The Iron Horse? wrote: I find that the neck pickup with strangle is the nicest sound to come out of a Jaguar. It very slightly cleans it up a bit too, and doesn't make it ice picky. Just a bit thinner.
Definitely,i use the thin switch when i have both pups on if I'm using a big muff,cleans it up to an acceptable level imo.

jagermeister
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jagermeister » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:23 pm

FUZZ_KING wrote: I always find it so very amusing to see others are as confused as me about the JAG layout.
I figure it out once in a while but forget it immediately. Anyway, I just use the neck PU, as
I find it's the only usable sound in that guitar, anyway.  :)
BAH. How do you play surf then :D Jag bridge pickup rocks.

Heh. For a forum full of Jag players this thread took a while... And I never understood what was so confusing about jag wiring in general. I got used to it in about 5 minutes... damn practical, though I don't use the rhythm presets much they do come in handy for switching to a clean tone or something...

The bass cut seems more prevalant on some amps than others. Good for scratchy rhythm.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:24 pm

Hmm I can remember the different sounds  but i'm a hard hitting player :-[ and
if i use the lead circuit i always find a way to produce no sound at all by accidentally
striking the lower three switches and arranging them randomly into that position
where the guitar is muted...  ;D
Nobody exists on purpose.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:46 pm

That's one thing I don't like about the Jag. Everything else, I love. But if I had to pick ONE thing that could be better, that would be it. Some people turn the switches over so down is on, that way you can't shut them off accidentally, or at least it greatly reduces the possibility.

For what it's worth, the Cyclone II is even worse in regard to the placement of the switches.  :o
Q. Are we not men?

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:33 pm

IMHO the mustang switches are awful,they're just above the strings near each pup.The Bridge switch's fine,just the other thats bad.
I've thought about wiring it up to use the bridge one for both pups,that would mean no phasing but i hardly use it anymore anyways.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:54 pm

fullerplast wrote: That's one thing I don't like about the Jag. Everything else, I love. But if I had to pick ONE thing that could be better, that would be it. Some people turn the switches over so down is on, that way you can't shut them off accidentally, or at least it greatly reduces the possibility.
As an alternative, the series mod works nicely in this respect. You lose the option of turning either pickup completely off, so a random switch hit will at least produce sound. This has been done on my AVRI Jaguar, but personally, I like the stock wiring with the ability to turn the pickups completely off  ???

Justin
Last edited by i love sharin foo on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Who Ran The Iron Horse?
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Who Ran The Iron Horse? » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:22 am

Don't forget there's always REAMS AND REAMS OF GAFFA TAPE!

Seriously, why does no-one ever take advantage ofa guitar's features. Different example to just Cobain's jag, Thom Yorke's Tele deluxe has the pickup selector taped over, and one of the tone knobs removed to make an input jack. What's wrong with changing pickups now and then?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:27 am

Who Ran The Iron Horse? wrote: Don't forget there's always REAMS AND REAMS OF GAFFA TAPE!

Seriously, why does no-one ever take advantage ofa guitar's features. Different example to just Cobain's jag, Thom Yorke's Tele deluxe has the pickup selector taped over, and one of the tone knobs removed to make an input jack. What's wrong with changing pickups now and then?
Well if you enjoy that specific sound, why mess with a good thing?

Who Ran The Iron Horse?
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Who Ran The Iron Horse? » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:40 am

Fair point. But it's a little annoying when a guitarist has two guitars of the same model, but with a different pickup selector position taped down, and they switch when they switch song.

Not as bad as Razorlight though. THe singer has two identical guitars, but one has a capo on the headstock, the other has a capo on one of the frets. Same tuning. Just one has a  capo in use. Fools.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:49 am

Only annoying cos it makes me envious.... I wish I could do that.

That's one of my issues with Les Pauls, which led to me selling my LPC - I kept hitting the pickup selector accidentally.

serial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by serial » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:06 am

Not as bad as Razorlight though. THe singer has two identical guitars, but one has a capo on the headstock, the other has a capo on one of the frets. Same tuning. Just one has a  capo in use. Fools.
[/quote]

I actually understand this thinking.  Putting a capo on a tuned guitar for me throws it way out of tune on at least a string or two.  Having a capo'ed one handy on a stand and already tuned up, such that it's easy to grab and go makes perfect sense to me.  Having a capo on the headstock of the other guitar makes sense if you happen to break a string on the capo'ed guitar mid-song-just place the capo and hope for the best.

I use a capo on one or two songs out of our whole song list and we lose time checking tuning, etc going to the capo'ed songs. 
Destiny's in her evening gown; you're always running late.
You tell her she looks wonderful but she'll just have to wait.