Custom Jaguar Baritone Custom

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
User avatar
pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1477
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:31 am
Location: Denton Tx

Re: Custom Jaguar Baritone Custom

Post by pullover » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:15 am

Jagandjazz is a cool site! I love the 3 pickup jazzmaster, especially in the gold color. Bigkahuna's looks good, it just looks like it would be cramped getting to the trem button. I don't often use mine, but I like the option of having it. It would increase the break angle which would probably be a good thing. One good thing about the way you did it is, you can always switch back to the stop tail piece if you so desired. I heard that they sound good in low E-E, but there is a bit of string buzz in the low E.
On the bridge saddle, do you replace the original saddles, or is there room on them to add the groove?
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

User avatar
Gizzorge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:12 pm

Re: Custom Jaguar Baritone Custom

Post by Gizzorge » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:58 am

Well Musician's Friend does not have the Jaguar Baritone Custom for sale anymore.  I would check the other sites if you are still on the fence about getting one.  Fender pulled it off their site as well..........

I wonder if the modded Jaguar Bari plays better, IE: the E string is not as floppy?

User avatar
MelWaldorf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:13 pm

Re: Custom Jaguar Baritone Custom

Post by MelWaldorf » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:36 am

I kept the stock saddles and used a triangular file to add the new grooves.  Not elegant, but effective.

User avatar
pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1477
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:31 am
Location: Denton Tx

Re: Custom Jaguar Baritone Custom

Post by pullover » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:29 am

Gizzorge wrote:Well Musician's Friend does not have the Jaguar Baritone Custom for sale anymore.  I would check the other sites if you are still on the fence about getting one.  Fender pulled it off their site as well..........

I wonder if the modded Jaguar Bari plays better, IE: the E string is not as floppy?
Bananas.com still has them up there. I got mine on ebay.  I read that the string tension is the problem, with the low E. So I might have to try several brands until I find the right ones.
MelWaldorf wrote:I kept the stock saddles and used a triangular file to add the new grooves.  Not elegant, but effective.
Thanks, Mel.  8)
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

User avatar
Gizzorge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:12 pm

Re: Custom Jaguar Baritone Custom

Post by Gizzorge » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:32 am

pullover wrote:
Gizzorge wrote:Well Musician's Friend does not have the Jaguar Baritone Custom for sale anymore.  I would check the other sites if you are still on the fence about getting one.  Fender pulled it off their site as well..........

I wonder if the modded Jaguar Bari plays better, IE: the E string is not as floppy?
Bananas.com still has them up there. I got mine on ebay.  I read that the string tension is the problem, with the low E. So I might have to try several brands until I find the right ones.
MelWaldorf wrote:I kept the stock saddles and used a triangular file to add the new grooves.  Not elegant, but effective.
Thanks, Mel.  8)
I am sure some places still have them, but once they run out....I think that will be it!

User avatar
pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1477
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:31 am
Location: Denton Tx

Re: Custom Jaguar Baritone Custom

Post by pullover » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:54 am

Mel, I just wanted to show you this. It works a lot better than the stock TOM on the Jag Bari with a trem unit. I just pulled the legs off a cheap copy mustang bridge and drilled the holes to fit over the stock TOM posts. The strings go directly over the poles, and there is no binding from the TOM bridge.
Image
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

User avatar
MelWaldorf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:13 pm

Re: Custom Jaguar Baritone Custom

Post by MelWaldorf » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:22 am

My goodness, that's brilliant!  And it would work with a mute.  I'll have to order one!
Mel

User avatar
pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1477
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:31 am
Location: Denton Tx

Re: Custom Jaguar Baritone Custom

Post by pullover » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:24 am

Here's mine, I just need to fill the holes now.  On your third pickup did you just get another neck pickup and move the bridge over to the middle or did you use two bridge pups? Does it really matter? I don't know if I am going to add a pickup yet or not, I kinda like the strangle switch. I guess I would always change the cap in the rhythm circuit so that it is the strangle switch. Anyway, Thanks again for posting pics of your Custom and answering all of my questions, pushed me over the edge to started on mine.
Image
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

User avatar
MelWaldorf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:13 pm

Re: Custom Jaguar Baritone Custom

Post by MelWaldorf » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:32 am

I used a neck pickup because I wanted the noise cancelling on the neck + bridge and middle + bridge positions.  On my "standard" Jaguars, when I installed the third pickup, I moved the strangle switch to a mini-slide toggle on the pickguard just above the switch plate and perpendicular to the switches.  I like your trem install - it's very clean!

Mel

Post Reply