jaguar/jazzmaster cases

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: jaguar/jazzmaster cases

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:07 am

I got the Fender molded ABS case. 149 bucks or something like that at Thomann. https://www.thomann.de/de/fender_deluxe ... m_case.htm There is also the SKB equivalent of it https://www.klangfarbe.com/artikel.php? ... fer-g36722 sold out at the Klangfarbe in Vienna - but I'm sure you're gonna find it somewhere. Should cost about 125€ (they both have enough space for both Jaguar and Jazzmaster guitars).
And the already mentioned Gator cases are to be had for 75€ at Thomann right now (instead of 107 I think).https://www.thomann.de/de/gator_gw_jag_guitar_case.htm

Hope you find one that suits your needs!

flysky578
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by flysky578 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:37 am

I got the Fender style Gator one but still after 2 years (with febreze and days open in the sun outside) it has still the strong factory smell (from the glue i guess) so I cant let my guitar long in it.But in defense..the CP Jazzmaster fits..other than in the original Fender ones

My vote for the hiscox case, lighter and no smell when it's not an "classic look" thing

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:44 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:07 am
I got the Fender molded ABS case. 149 bucks or something like that at Thomann.
When I got my Strat I was delighted it came with one of these - big chunky locks, nice interior and molded to fit the body, plus a big rubbery handle that doesn't cut into your hand. The TSA thing was ideal, too, as I knew I'd be flying with it.

Enter a budget European airline.

Absolutely smashed it to pieces. The plastic shell has nothing behind it so there is a gap between the shell and the polystyrene/foam/whatever moulding inside. This means it cracks REALLY easily under any kind of force.

Mine is like a jigsaw now, held together with gaffa tape. Can't ever fly with it and can barely use it as a case, it's super rickety.

The Hiscox I got is one flight down and almost completely unscathed save for a bit of light scratching.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:08 am

simonhpieman wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:44 am
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:07 am
I got the Fender molded ABS case. 149 bucks or something like that at Thomann.
When I got my Strat I was delighted it came with one of these - big chunky locks, nice interior and molded to fit the body, plus a big rubbery handle that doesn't cut into your hand. The TSA thing was ideal, too, as I knew I'd be flying with it.

Enter a budget European airline.

Absolutely smashed it to pieces. The plastic shell has nothing behind it so there is a gap between the shell and the polystyrene/foam/whatever moulding inside. This means it cracks REALLY easily under any kind of force.

Mine is like a jigsaw now, held together with gaffa tape. Can't ever fly with it and can barely use it as a case, it's super rickety.

The Hiscox I got is one flight down and almost completely unscathed save for a bit of light scratching.
How was the Strat, though?

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:55 am

Fine, luckily. Heads would have rolled if not - 30th birthday gift and a limited to 500 worldwide oiled ash version to boot.

Mind you, I was pissed enough that they damaged the case as badly as they did and could only offer me a Hiscox as a replacement. You don't bust MY stuff then tell me what I am and am not allowed as a replacement. You break my stuff and get me a like for like replacement.

Not only that, but they were going to destroy the old case as per "their policy". I told them that I did not want them to further affect the value of my instrument by diposing of its original case and made them send it back but it took a lot of arguing with both the airline and the company the airline employs to deal with damaged luggage claims.

Bastards.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:14 am

simonhpieman wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:55 am
Not only that, but they were going to destroy the old case as per "their policy".
I wouldn't be surprised if it's so you can't post pictures of the case as evidence. I guess in the grand scheme of things at least the Strat wasn't a casualty and now you know not to trust those cases (or airlines).

Don B
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Don B » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:51 pm

simonhpieman wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:55 am
Fine, luckily. Heads would have rolled if not - 30th birthday gift and a limited to 500 worldwide oiled ash version to boot.

Mind you, I was pissed enough that they damaged the case as badly as they did and could only offer me a Hiscox as a replacement. You don't bust MY stuff then tell me what I am and am not allowed as a replacement. You break my stuff and get me a like for like replacement.

Not only that, but they were going to destroy the old case as per "their policy". I told them that I did not want them to further affect the value of my instrument by diposing of its original case and made them send it back but it took a lot of arguing with both the airline and the company the airline employs to deal with damaged luggage claims.

Bastards.
If the guitar came through fine then the case did its job. Its job is to protect the guitar and it did. If you had a lesser case then you would have lost your guitar too.

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Trout » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:11 am

Don B wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:51 pm
If the guitar came through fine then the case did its job. Its job is to protect the guitar and it did. If you had a lesser case then you would have lost your guitar too.
Really? A case is a disposable item meant to be used once?
#sitdownrock at https://staffanandersson.bandcamp.com/album/det-hemliga-namnet

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:37 am

Trout wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:11 am
Don B wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:51 pm
Really? A case is a disposable item meant to be used once?
I think what he means is how bicycle helmets work -- you're supposed to wear one every day for the day that you do need it, and then when you get into an accident it breaks instead of you. It's meant to crack and crumble to absorb as much of the force as you can, and in fact you're recommended to replace your helmet if it takes any sort of impact, even if it looks fine upon inspection.

It's a reasonable concept, and I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. If it was a thin cardboard case it would have been fucked, if it was in a rigid box made of sheet metal or something it would also be fucked because the guitar would be eating a lot of the momentum. The ideal case would flex, but if it flexed too far would shatter instead of passing the rest of the impact onto the guitar.

I mean, who knows what the airline people did to it, right?

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Trout » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:00 am

Yeah I know :blush:
#sitdownrock at https://staffanandersson.bandcamp.com/album/det-hemliga-namnet