Just wondering?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
rockula
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Just wondering?

Post by rockula » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:09 pm

How many members of the forum play surf music? And what guitar(s) and amp(s) do you find to give the best vintage surf sounds.  SURF'S UP!

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Just wondering?

Post by JazzBlaster » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:20 pm

surf is definately a big influence on my work, but then so is grunge, techno and psychadelia. I currently play a jazzmaster and a jaguar and nothing else.

{edit} twin reverb amp of course!  8)
Last edited by JazzBlaster on Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:25 pm

I'm not exactly a surf guitarist by any means,but i do like playing flat out dick dale tunes....I used to play extreme death metal so surfs pretty easy really,just sounds better imo.
All that outboard reverb.......yeah! :?
love The Nebulas! :)

Edit: oh,jaguars,twin reverbs.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:55 pm

I have a $trat that I play my surf music on, but my AVRI Jazzmaster is due in any day! ;D  Jazzmasters and Jaguars are great surf guitars... So are $trats, even though they are generally hated on this forum...I prefer the pickups and trems on JM's and Jags though.  Heavy gauge strings help, too

Fender Tube amps are key to the surf sound.
I play through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.  I would definitely recommend a Twin Reverb, though :? :? :? 
Eventually, I'd like to have a Fender outboard reverb, too!

Reverb is KING!!!

Check this post out...
index.php?topic=2366.msg32276;topicseen#new
Last edited by RumorsOFsurF on Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

IPLAYLOUD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by IPLAYLOUD » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:02 pm

I just started in a Surf band. I am loving it.

No Jag or Jazzm here.
Reverend Rocco (coil tap buckers) with a Trem into (A) Reverend Kingsnake (B) Fender TRRI 40th Anniversary.

Both great amps. I run a Korg processer out front with some compression and echo.

I love this sound!!

(I even bought BONGOS today to fill-in some on the breaks).
Competition Stripes make them play FASTER.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:08 pm

IPLAYLOUD wrote: I just started in a Surf band. I am loving it.

No Jag or Jazzm here.
Reverend Rocco (coil tap buckers) with a Trem into (A) Reverend Kingsnake (B) Fender TRRI 40th Anniversary.
Reverend guitars are so cool!!! I want one... :? :?
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:39 pm

anyone who hates strats should go see Dick Dale! I have one of his guitar picks, I think it has magical powers!  ;)
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:22 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: So are $trats, even though they are generally hated on this forum...
I don't think that's true btw...  I certainly don't hate Strats, in fact I kinda like them.  That's just not the focus here and so they tend to be discussed very little.  Don't let a few vocal haters give you the impression that's the opinion of most here.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:29 pm

Jay wrote:
RumorsOFsurF wrote: So are $trats, even though they are generally hated on this forum...
I don't think that's true btw...  I certainly don't hate Strats, in fact I kinda like them.  That's just not the focus here and so they tend to be discussed very little.  Don't let a few vocal haters give you the impression that's the opinion of most here.
+1

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:32 pm

Yeah, there's plenty of places to discuss strats and not many to discuss offsets, so ..

.. but anyway, although I've never played in a surf band I'd count surf as a noticeable influence on my playing. If I'm deliberately trying to make surf sounds, I use an old Jazzmaster and a silverface Vibrolux Reverb which I think is little more hi-fi and surfy-sounding than the blackface Fenders I've played. I have an old black Fender Reverb unit which I can use as well, although the reverb in the VR is pretty good .. I mainly use the reverb for recording but I guess if I was ever in a surf band (which I would love to do) I would gig with it too.

FWIW I have a strat strung with .011s which sounds quite surfy as well. Good enough for DD, good enough for me. The Rev Roccos do have a great clean sound too and the only reason I wouldn't use mine for surf is because it doesn't have a trem.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Infliktor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Infliktor » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:06 pm

I use my Jaguar but before I got that a Strat.  Jaguar is a big improvement.  I use an outboard reverb and soon an echoplex (due back to me on Friday)

Oh and Dick Dale....Im on the guestlist for Friday night at the Howlin Wolf here in New Orleans.  Never seen him before.

I am a Huge Slacktone fan, I think Dave is way more creative than Dick

Infliktor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Infliktor » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:10 pm

Failed to tell you I use a 57 Twin.  When it was breaking in I wasnt to satisfied with it cleans but the breakin and messing with settings, it pulls off surf wonderfully

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:10 pm

there would be no rock and roll as we know it without Dick Dale

a little history lesson

Leo Fender gave the Fender Stratocaster along with a Fender Amp to Dale and told him to beat it to death and tell him what he thought of it. Dale took the guitar and started to beat it to death, and he blew up Leo Fender's amp and blew out the speaker. Dale proceeded to blow up forty nine amps and speakers; they would actually catch on fire. Leo would say, 'Dick, why do you have to play so loud?' Dale would explain that he wanted to create the sound of Gene Krupa the famous jazz drummer that created the sounds of the native dancers in the jungles along with the roar of mother nature's creature's and the roar of the ocean.

Leo Fender kept giving Dale amps and Dale kept blowing them up! Till one night Leo and his right hand man Freddy T. went down to the Rendezvous Ballroom on the Balboa Peninsula in Balboa, California and stood in the middle of Four Thousand screaming dancing Dick Dale fans and said to Freddy, I now know what Dick Dale is trying to tell me. Back to the drawing board. A special 85 watt output transformer was made that peaked 100 watts when dale would pump up the volume of his amp, this transformer would create the sounds along with Dale's style of playing, the kind of sounds that Dale dreamed of. BUT! they now needed a speaker that would handle the power and not burn up from the volume that would come from Dale's guitar.

Leo, Freddy and Dale went to the James B. Lansing speaker company, and they explained that they wanted a fifteen inch speaker built to their specifications. That speaker would soon be known as the 15'' JBL -D130 speaker. It made the complete package for Dale to play through and was named the Single Showman Amp. When Dale plugged his Fender Stratocaster guitar into the new Showman Amp and speaker cabinet, Dale became the first creature on earth to jump from the volume scale of a modest quiet guitar player on a scale of 4 to blasting up through the volume scale to TEN! That is when Dale became the "Father of Heavy Metal" as quoted from Guitar Player Magazine. Dale broke through the electronic barrier limitations of that era!

Dick also invented the outboard rever unit (taken from a hamond)

so if you ever me the man be sure to thank him  ;) I did

Infliktor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Infliktor » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:58 pm

Gonna meet him tommorow nite

Takin Sam Bolle, Daxx, and a couple of the crew to dinner in the Quarter

Naturality
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Naturality » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:12 am